About the process
Babcock Dairy Plant
What is Environmental swabbing?
Environmental swabbing involves microbiological testing of food preparation surfaces, utensils, and equipment. This is done using various swabbing techniques to find out of pathogens are present. Pathogens: another term for bacterium, virus, or other microorganisms that can cause diseases.
Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream making Process
- milk is separated into heavy cream and condensed milk
- factories pump the 2 ingredients into 6,000 gallon storage silos, and is kept at 36 degrees until ready to be turned
- a 1,000 gallon stainless steel mega blender starts the batch of Ice Cream; the blend tank
- the batch starts with: heavy cream, condensed milk, and sugar cane. The mixer adds: natural stabilizers (which prevents ice crystals), egg yolks, and cocoa powder
- mixture mixes for 6-8 minutes
- when mix gets pasteurized and homogenized, it is heated to kill bacteria
- a vary of stainless steel plates is where hot water flows on one side while the cold mix is pumped onto the other side
- before the mix can cool, it's sent through the homogenizer to make sure all fat particles are separated
- mixture is pumped into the tank room to cool for 4-8 hours
- the mixture goes from the tank to the flavor vats
- "master mixers" add purees and extracts to the mixture (after freezing, "chunks" of stuff can be added-but not always. IF they choose not to it goes to the Cothern & Variegator)
- once flavor is added, it is pumped to the freezer
- mix goes through freezing pipes. The frozen mix sticks to the side of the pipe, and blades come through to scrape off the frozen stuff; now it's ice cream
- mix passes through cothern to cool, then is passed through the variegator to be swirled
- ice cream is put into pint sized containers, and then needs to freeze more after packaging
- pints are wrapped and shipped out to stores, ready to be bought
"How We Make Ice Cream | Ben & Jerry’s." Http://www.benjerry.com. Ben & Jerry's, n.d. Web. 13 Mar. 2015. <http://www.benjerry.com/flavors/how-we-make-ice-cream>.
"Production." Dairy Plant. College of Agriculture & Life Sciences, n.d. Web. 13 Mar. 2015. <http://babcockhalldairyplant.wisc.edu/production/ice-cream/>.
Klein, Bill. "Ice Cream." Dairy Plant. Babcock Dairy Plant, n.d. Web. 06 May 2015. <http://babcockhalldairyplant.wisc.edu/production/ice-cream/>.
"Environmental Swabbing." NSW Food Authority. NSW Food Authority, n.d. Web. 4 June 2015. <http%3A%2F%2Fwww.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au%2Fscience%2Frisk-framework-and-studies%2Ffood-risk-studies%2Fenvironmental-swabbing%23.VXByTBz3-iw>.
Union Utopia Ice Cream. Digital image. Fatsecret. Fatsecret, n.d. Web. 4 June 2015.