English Language Arts
Argumentative Research Essay
This week, we went to the library to begin the research process for our next essay (due 11/30).
Unit Test Next Week
Students' first unit test is Friday, 10/23. The following concepts will appear on the test:
- parts of speech- nouns, pronouns (and antecedents), verbs, adjectives, adverbs, prepositions, interjections, and conjunctions
- plot diagram- exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution, protagonist, antagonist, and conflict
- citing textual evidence- basic ability to show where in the text a student found their answer to a question
- main idea
- intended audience
- author's purpose- to inform, persuade, or entertain
- what is a narrative?
- Greek/Latin roots/prefixes/suffixes
Students will complete review activities in the days leading up to the test.
Study Guide DUE THURSDAY, 10/22!
Students are expected to have the entire study guide completed by Thursday, 10/22, so that we can go over the answers before the test. I will be sending home a hard copy today, but you can find it digitally here.
Students need 8 independent reading points by the end of October (for a total of 19 so far this year). These points can be earned by taking AR quizzes or completing lessons on Reading Plus. For more information click here.
Next week, we will do review centers and a study guide to help us prepare for our unit test, which is on Friday, 10/23.