Home of Aledo Bearcat E-News
January 6, 2022 • aledoisd.org
Thank you AEF! More than $50,000 in Educational Grants Awarded Wednesday!
The Aledo Education Foundation helped kick off the second semester in a big way on Wednesday, awarding more than $50,000 in grants to deserving Aledo ISD teachers and staff!
Grants were awarded to each campus and for innovative educational tools like 3D printers, coding and circuit tools, supplies for student-led newscasts, and so much more!
Thank you AEF for your unwavering support of the Aledo ISD!
View pictures of the grant recipients with the prize posse of AEF board members, AHS drum line and cheerleaders, and more here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aledobearcats/albums/72177720295752283.
AISD Celebrates School Board Recognition Month
The Aledo ISD is excited to honor and celebrate our seven Board of Trustees members throughout School Board Recognition Month during January 2022! Aledo ISD Trustees serve as a link between the community and classroom as they are selfless volunteers who spend long hours working to ensure the students and staff of the Aledo ISD are growing greatness! The Aledo ISD board - which was named the Texas Association of School Administrators 2021 Outstanding School Board for the State of Texas - is responsible for nearly 7,400 students, 850 employees and 11 campuses.
Please take the time this month to thank our Aledo ISD Trustees! Check our social media pages throughout the month of January to learn more about each of the district's seven trustees: Board President Hoyt Harris, Board Vice President Jessica Brown (featured below), Board Secretary Forrest Collins and Board Members David Lear, Jennifer Loftin, Jennifer Taylor and Julie Turner.
Bus Riders: Don't forget to download MyStop App!
Don't forget: the most up-to-date transportation route information for your student is available on the Versatrans MyStop App! Parents can track their students' bus location and arrival times as well as to receive notifications on delays or other pertinent information.
Students in Grades 7-12 Issued Student IDs
Aledo ISD 7th-12-grade students were issued new student ID badges on a lanyard when they returned to classes Wednesday from winter break. While we understand remembering and wearing student ID badges each day will take some getting used to, we know it is another proactive way to increase safety on our campuses.
In addition to allowing school staff to quickly identify who should/should not be in the building and to permitting access control for students to move between campus buildings (AHS and DNG) during the school day without having to unlock doors, student ID badges also provide quick identification of students to responders in the event of an emergency. They are also considered an industry-standard practice for safety and have been part of recent recommendations for the Aledo ISD during required external district safety audits.
Students will be required to wear ID badges whenever present on school property during the school day. For information on student ID badges, please review the 2021-2022 Student Handbook (page 102).
P2 Character trait of the week: Optimism
This week's P2 Character Trait of the Week is Optimism!
Remember P2 has a site set up for families called P2 for Families. It is password protected, but the password is simply P2. This site has all of the Character Cards that we will share each week, plus related and inspiring videos as well as questions for families to discuss around each character strength for ALL 24 character strengths AND broken down by grade bands (PK-2; 3-5; 6-8; 9-12).
See the Optimism Character Card below, and consider using one of these Table Talk questions to start a conversation with your child about optimism!
SELF-CONTROL TABLE TALK for your FAMILY
Grades Pre-K-2: Why is it important to talk to yourself in a positive way?
Grades 3-5: Optimism can shift your perspective. What is something in your life that could benefit from a more optimistic perspective?
Grades 6-8: How have your dreams changed over time?
Grades 9-12: What does optimism have to do with your goals and dreams?
Aledo Bond 2019 Pictures of the Week
Attention Vandagriff Elementary students, staff and parents! This sneak peek is just for you (and current McAnally Intermediate families)! Today's pictures are of the now-open, completely redone former lockerroom/current classroom space at McAnally Intermediate (future Vanda)!
Teachers and students started using this space on Wednesday when students returned from winter break, closing off other parts of McAnally Intermediate so construction can begin in those areas. This is quite a transformation!
Here are some reminders about AISD child nutrition for the 2021-2022 school year:
- Menus for daily school breakfast and lunch are available on the Aledo ISD app, AISD website or through https://aledoisdschoolmenus.com/. Hover over menu items for nutrition info, including allergens!
- During the 21-22 school year, Aledo ISD will participate in USDA’s Universal Free Waiver which allows ALL students to receive one free school breakfast and one free school lunch per day. Although Aledo ISD is participating in USDA’s Universal Free Waiver for 21-22 SY, it is still important that households fill out a 21-22 School Meal Application to keep meal benefits uninterrupted when the 22-23 school year begins (21-22 meal status grace period extends to about the first week of October 2023). Other programs that your student may participate in (testing fees waived, PEBT, etc.) could also be affected by their meal application status. Free/Reduced priced school meals are available based on financial need. Fill out an application online here or get a paper application at campus offices.
- If a student has no lunch and/or no money and comes through the serving line, the cafeteria will provide them with a FREE nutritious school meal. No snacks or extras allowed if students have a negative balance.
- Negative balances will be communicated to parents via the parent-link email address on file and/or via a letter to the household address on file. Parents can also view café account balances and transactions or install café balance email notifications through the MySchoolBucks app or the Aledo ISD app. If you are experiencing a financial setback, please contact us so we can help.
- Café account payments can be made anytime at Cafeteria by cash or check. You can also make online payments through the MySchoolBucks app or the Aledo ISD app.
- For further information and details, visit our Cafeteria Services website or call the Child Nutrition Dept at 817-441-5142.
THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING US TO SERVE YOUR STUDENTS!
free covid-19 testing available for aisd students, staff; before-school testing added
AISD has reopened the free COVID testing site for staff members and students. For students and staff who may be sick or needing a test to return from a quarantine restriction or would like to test after they have been in close contact with someone who is COVID-19-positive, we will now be offering COVID-19 testing options. Details below:
When: Days that school is in session for students (Walk-ins only, no appointments):
- 4-6 PM Mondays
- 7:30-8 AM Tuesdays
- 4-6 PM Wednesdays
- 7:30-8 AM Thursdays
- 4-6 PM Fridays
Where: Nurse’s clinic at Vandagriff Elementary School, located at 408 FM 1187 S in Aledo. Enter through Door #4 that faces Aledo Middle School on the south side of the building (see map below).
What: Abbott BinaxNOW Rapid Antigen Tests will be performed at this clinic and results should be available in approximately 15-30 minutes.
Cost: There will be no cost for students or staff for tests at the after-school clinic
Consent: Consent from parent or guardian will be required for anyone under the age of 18 to receive a COVID-19 test at the after-school clinic. Required forms will be available at the clinic or you can download and print the form here to fill out before arriving.
Thank you 2021-2022 Bearcat Backers!
Aledo ISD and the Aledo Education Foundation are partnering once again for the Bearcat Backer program, and we'd love your support!
As our district is #GrowingGreatness through exceptional experiences that empower learners for life, we are committed to fostering relationships and partnerships with our outstanding businesses and organizations to help support our Bearcats. Your partnership provides a direct investment and benefit to our Bearcat students and staff.
If your business is interested in joining our Bearcat Backers program, please visit our Bearcat Backers webpage that includes sponsorship levels as well as a commitment form to fill out.
Thank you to our 2021-2022 Bearcat Backers!
Gold Level Sponsors
Silver Level Sponsors
Reading Friends Aledo
Bronze Level SponsorsBryan Insurance Agency
City of Willow Park
Lynch Legacy Realty Group
Paradigm Wealth Management - Christopher Roberts
Slade & Nash
Your Personal Chef
Do you want to recognize an employee for going above and beyond and embodying #GrowingGreatness? Nominate them today for the Aledo ISD Circle of Greatness!
Please complete this form if a student or employee has tested positive, shown symptoms or been in close contact with a person who has tested positive for COVID-19.