News and Notes
January 11-15 2016
Week at a Glance!
- 9th Period Support Lab 2:30-3:30 P.M.
- Galway Scholars 2:30-4:30 (Steaming with K'Nex, Architecture, 3D Printing)
- Faculty Meeting: 2:40-We will film the "Bad Bad Day" portion of our Pep Rally Flash Mob-Wear Black with a grey scarf if possible.
- Grade Level Leaders Meeting immediately following faculty meeting: Please update the Google Drive with your grade level thoughts on "why we grade" so we can form a common understanding and agreement on why we grade. This will serve to guide future discussions on report cards, homework etc.. In addition, we will discuss how we would like to present an overview of the GLL accomplishments this year and ideas on how best to evaluate writing benchmarks. I would also like to discuss the next round of data meetings.
- School Banking 8:00 A.M.
- Spelling Bee 1:00-2:30 P.M. for grades 4-8. Everyone is welcome to attend.
- Ski Club Begins! meet at 2:30 in the cafeteria
- I will be at BOCES for The Principal's Leadership Academy
- Popcorn Friday 10:30-12:30-If any staff memebr is available to help sell popcorn (I will have it popped and ready to go) from 10:30-11:30 as I am out of the district and will be unable to assist. Any staff member who has 15 minutes, 1/2 hour etc.. to help is appreciated. All money raised will be going to EBT to support school wide initiatives. Mr. Radosti's students will be available from 11:30-12:30 to sell the popcorn so we only need help from 10:30-11:30 to sell or 8:30-10:30 to pop and fill bags.
- New Kids Assembly HS Auditorium for grades 2-6 9-10 A.M.
- I will not be in district today
Thank you all very much for your flexibility on Friday. The school picture was a last minute thought and filled with good intentions albeit a little chaotic!. Nonetheless, everyone made it back safely and the picture will be one to be remembered. After being away all weekend, I finally checked my emails on Sunday night and wanted to share some of the comments from parents in regard to Friday:
- My daughter shared that today was the best day of her life. The whole school looked the same.
- I wish everyday could be this fun.
- Seriously, we all got hats for free! So cool!
- My school is awesome, we filled the the bucket and got to eat popcorn and wear hats. I love my school!
- My teacher looked really stoked! She wore the same hat we had and it was like really fun!
- The whole school went tot he playground and we got to slide down the hill. I ran into my teacher but she was totally cool. We were laughing so hard my stomach hurt. I can't wait to see the picture. Today was just solid! What a great Friday!
Thanks for everyone's willingness to get involved and have fun!
I will need everyone to sign up for their announced observation. In order to get them all done, I need to begin shortly. Please go to your Google calendar, add your pre and observation date to your calendar and invite me. I will accept the invite if the dates are available on my calendar. If I decline, please suggest a new date.
It is my expectation that the students go outside whenever it is possible. Grade levels should not be mixed. We have numerous hills which can be used for sledding. The adults need to maintain proper supervision by separating and being located on top of the hill, as well as the bottom of the hill. Being vigilant and proactive in overseeing and creating opportunities for children to remain safe while enjoying outdoor activities is imperative. Thank you to all of the aides for their help and support in making sure recess remains fun and safe.
I am more than willing to share staff news, but I can not report something I am unaware of. If you have or know of any news that would be of interest to the entire staff, please be sure to let me know.
- Congratulations to Karli Smith! She is expecting and we are so happy for her! May 9th is her due date and Tracy reports she is excited for a grandson!
- Linda Pike lost her father-in-law over the holidays. Our condolences go out to her and her family.
- Fran Hoffman will be returning at the end of January. We are very excited to have Fran back! She was missed! She will work 1/2 days with small RtI reading groups for the remainder of the year.
- Marcella Carbone will remain on staff also supporting RtI reading groups and filling in for Fran's 1/2 day.
- Paula is back (in case you did not get a chance to see her:)) and while she will miss days intermittently to support Larry's recovery, we are so happy for her return!
Please be sure to coordinate with your grade level on a day to do your F&P testing for this winter. Grade K and 1 will trial the online app. All other grades are to use the paper pencil assessment used in September. Grade level leaders will need to mark the day the grade will take to assess, on the shared calendar. Please do not select a day another grade has already taken. Friday's are also not a good day to take as sub coverage is usually limited. In addition, please be sure to fill in the Google Drive data folio for each student and include the new F&P and January STAR. If you have students who work with an AIS reading teacher please coordinate with them regarding who will do the F&P testing.