IB Learner Profiles
September 2019 - June 2020
Character Education: Monthly IB Learner Profiles
In the upcoming school year, our 1B students will be demonstrating what it means to be: Caring, Risk Taker, Open Minded, Thinker, Reflective, Principled, Inquirer, Balanced, Communicator, Knowledgeable.
Leia, Shyla, Daniel
Caring: "We are kind."
- I am kind and respectful.
- I think of others' feelings when I make choices.
- I take care of my classmates, my classroom, and my school.
- I notice how others feel and I try to have a positive impact on their day.
These 1B students have demonstrated what it means to be a caring student at Brooklyn Prospect, as defined by the learner profile. Other students gave examples of caring moments such as:
- Ploypailin - “When I’m crying and hurting, someone can help me is Leia. She always helps me up so she can hug me and she can make me feel better.”
- Leo - “I think Shyla because she is looking at the teacher all the time when the teacher is talking but also her friends.”
- Slater - “I think Daniel has been caring because whenever we’re at recess and I get hurt sometimes he might come and help me get up and be caring friend.”
Aaliyah, Bradly, Wylie
Risk takers: "We try new things."
- I am brave and courageous.
- I trust in myself and stand by my opinions and beliefs.
- I take on a challenge even though I may fail.
- I am willing to try new things without worrying about the outcome.
These 1B students have demonstrated what it means to be a risk taker student at Brooklyn Prospect, as defined by the learner profile. Other students gave examples of risk taker moments such as:
- Daniel: “I saw Aaliyah was on the monkey bars and she was trying something new. She also plays with new people at recess at Metrotech.”
- Olivia: “Bradly tells the teachers that he doesn’t like the food but he is gonna try it so when he tried it he liked it. He’s a risk taker!”
- Uma: “I think that Wylie is a risk taker because even though his bag is big he tries to take the stairs. Also, he tries new strategies during number stories even though it’s kinda hard.”
Brandon, Olivia, Khalil
Open-Minded: "We respect others."
I am understanding and value others’ thoughts.
I listen to the thoughts and ideas of others.
I value the similarities and differences of my peers.
I learn from other cultures, points of view, and traditions.
These 1B students have demonstrated what it means to be an open-minded student at Brooklyn Prospect, as defined by the learner profile. Other students gave examples of open-minded moments such as:
- Mia - “I think Brandon is open minded because when people are eating he doesn’t laugh at people even if the food is different.”
- Talib - “Because every day Olivia comes to school and she tries her best to do new things and she hangs out with a lot of people.”
- Shyla - “Khalil is open minded because every time he gets mad he tries to fix it and it works and then he gets more friends. He tries new strategies on how to fix it when he’s mad or sad or nervous.”
Leo, Raiyan, Talib
Thinker: "We use our heads."
I am decisive.
I take action to solve problems and decide the best plan of action.
I use critical and creative thinking skills to find the best solution.
I make decisions that are in the best interest of others.
I help to solve problems.
These 1B students have demonstrated what it means to be a thinker student at Brooklyn Prospect, as defined by the learner profile. Other students gave examples of thinker moments such as:
- Leia - I think Leo is a thinker because he thinks about alot of ideas and whenever he’s stuck on something, he thinks about new ways to solve the problem.
- Dashon - I think Raiyan is a thinker because whenever it’s math time he thinks about new strategies to solve the problem. When it’s ELA time he never gives up and keep thinking.
- Violet - I think Talib is a thinker because he stops talking to friends during learning time because he knows it’s time to work and he thinks about his actions.
Mia, Liam, Amir
Reflective: "We find ways to be better."
- I am self-aware.
I think about my actions and feelings.
I can identify my strengths and see my mistakes as a chance to improve.
I am able to see how my choices will affect those around me.
These 1B students have demonstrated what it means to be a reflective student at Brooklyn Prospect, as defined by the learner profile. Other students gave examples of reflective moments such as:
- Aaliyah - "I saw Mia keeping her body safe and hands on her lap and voice is quiet so people don’t get hurt and our classroom becomes better."
- Nika - "I think Liam is reflective because he’s usually sitting on his bottom so I can see what we’re doing. He’s been participating more lately and listening. During dismissal he used to ask where he’s going but now he listens and knows by himself."
- Ethan - "I think Amir is reflective because every time he makes a mistake he fixes it. Sometimes he’s mad about it but sometimes he fixes it."
Ethan, Nika, Slater
Principled: "We do the right thing."
- I am honest and fair.
I show respect to others and take responsibility for my own actions.
I tell the truth (even when it’s hard) and treat others with dignity.
I act with integrity and honesty.
These 1B students have demonstrated what it means to be a principled student at Brooklyn Prospect, as defined by the learner profile. Other students gave examples of principled moments such as:
- Johnny- "I think Ethan is principled because he did the right thing when he stays focused on the teacher and he does eye contact and really tries to listen to the teacher."
- Raiyan - "I think Nika is principled because she always listens to the teacher and she always does the right thing the first time."
- Amir - "Slater is principled because he is nice and plays with me. I see him doing the right thing when he watches the teachers when he’s at the carpet."