OLC-Month 2: September 1, 2023
September 1, 2023
Message from the Principal!
Families, I am Mrs. Schnitzler, the new principal, for the Early Childhood Education programs for Grand Island Public Schools. I have enjoyed getting to know you, your family and more specifically your child in our preschool classrooms. The Grand Island Public School pre-schools are located in four different locations: O'Connor Learning Center, Howard Elementary, Lincoln Elementary, and Starr Elementary in Grand Island. We are so fortunate to have preschool classrooms in our community elementary schools. Students are learning the routines and expectations of being safe, respectful and responsible at our schools. Throughout their day they have the opportunity to learn with their classmates and teachers while eating a meal, playing on the slides, riding bikes and in the classroom at learning centers as well as a whole classroom singing or reading.
Thank you for modeling for your child to be safe by walking your child into the school as well as teaching responsibility by having your child take off his/her bookbag and place it in his/her locker. Our students are learning to be independent in the classroom by cleaning up after themselves, walking in lines and following directions of their teachers.
Be looking for opportunities where you can be involved with your child's education. We will be having some family events to support you and your family.
Mark Your Calendars!
No School on the following dates:
- September 4, 2023 (Labor Day)
📸School Picture Day📸
Our School Picture Day is on Thursday, September 28, 2023. Once we get closer to the date more information will be sent home.
Message from Nurse Lynn at OLC
Physicals and Immunization Records
- PLEASE remember to schedule and attend your child's physical exam before October 16, 2023, as students without completed physical exams are not able to attend school after October 16, 2023 until the school receives their physical and immunization records.
- The students who are seen by Family Practice or Heartland Health Center (HHC):
- Parents need to call these clinics and request for their records to be released to OLC or parents may sign a Release of Information with Nurse Lynn so she's able to request the records from these clinics.
OLC FAX (308) 385-5690
School Day Hours
OLC, Starr Elementary School, and Lincoln Elementary School
AM Session: 7:50am - 11:20am
PM Session: 12:00pm - 3:30pm
No class on Friday
Howard Elementary School At Door 10
Arrival: 7:50am - 8:00am
Class: 8:00am - 3:15pm
Monday - Thursday
No class on Friday
Student(s) marked tardy after 8am (AM Session) and 12pm (PM Session)
Please remember students are marked tardy after 8am and 12pm and must come to the office for their tardy slip before going to class.
Please remember to sign-up and view your child's ClassDojo!
If you haven't been able to sign-up and/or access your child's ClassDojo, please ask your child's teacher for the pin number that pertains to your child.
What is ClassDojo?
- ClassDojo is an educational technology platform that facilitates communication and engagement between teachers, students, and parents. It offers tools for teachers to manage classrooms, share updates, and reward positive behavior, while also allowing parents to stay connected with their child's learning journey.
OLC Community Cafe Orientation
Please join us for our Community Cafe Orientation being held at OLC on Friday, September 29, 2023 from 9:00am to 2:00pm.
Friday, Sep 29, 2023, 09:00 AM
O'Connor Learning Center, North Webb Road, Grand Island, NE, USA
What is a Community Cafe and how you can participate?
- What is a Community Cafe?
- Community Cafés spotlight neighborhood wisdom and transform it into community action. They are planned, led and monitored by family members who can relate to the participants and want to build on the assets of their community to strengthen families.
If you are interested in becoming a Parent host for our Community Cafe, please contact School Social Worker Rita Hernandez at (308) 385-5655.
Parent-Teacher Organization (PTO)
Come, join the PTO and make a difference for our students!
- You ask what is PTO? PTO stands for Parent-Teacher Organization, consisting of parents and teachers working together to support and enrich all students. We support school staff, help promote student self-esteem, and assist in efforts to solve school needs through volunteering and funding.
- So, who can be a member? If you’re a father, mother, protector, guardian, and/or a person who teaches or instructs at OLC, you can become a member.
If you are interested in joining our PTO, please contact School Social Worker Rita Hernandez at (308) 385-5655.
Helpful Community Resources/Events
Multi-Lingual Story Time
Please join the Grand Island Public Library for their Multi-Lingual Story Time being held on September 10, 2023 from 2:00pm to 4:00pm. There will be stories, crafts, and games for kids in English, Arabic, Somali, and Spanish. There will also be tables with information from community partners. This event is free. Hope to see you there!
Sunday, Sep 10, 2023, 02:00 PM
Grand Island Public Library - Nebraska, West 2nd Street, Grand Island, NE, USA
Project Connect- A DAY OF FREE SERVICES
Project Connect is offering a day of free services ranging from:
- Medical, Dental, Housing, Legal, Veteran's Services, Haircuts, Vision Care, Foot Care, Health & More...
The event starts at 10:00am and ends at 3:00pm.
Thursday, Oct 26, 2023, 10:00 AM
Pinnacle Bank Expo Center, East Stolley Park Road, Grand Island, NE, USA
Heartland Health Center (HHC)
HHC offers a variety of services for the community; Medical, Dental, Behavioral Health, Patient Support, and Financial Assistance. They accept uninsured, insured, Medicaid, and Medicare patients. Patients may use their sliding fee scale to reduce costs. Call to learn more (308) 382-4297.
Need help with applying for Medicaid?
Additionally from providing all the aforementioned services, Heartland Health Center (HHC) also has community navigator Kendra Ramos who can help families apply for Medicaid insurance. For more information please contact Ms. Ramos at (308) 379-5451 or KRAMOS@HHCNE.ORG
YWCA Daycare @ OLC
OLC Childcare Center is now enrolling pre-school students.
- Cost: $105 per week
- Hours of Operation: Monday through Friday 7:30am to 5:30pm
- Contact Maribel for more information (308) 384-9922 or MSTRONG@YWCA-GI.ORG
- Tuesdays at 10:00am and 1:00pm the Goodwill Outlet has $1/pound deal.
- Bargain Bin has brand new items available starting on Fridays at 10:00am.
Free English Classes in GI
The Literacy Council of GI offers over 26 different English classes. The classes are offered free of charge. For more information feel free to call the Literacy Council of GI (308) 675-3292.
Central Nebraska Community Action Partnership (CNCAP)- Project THRIVES
The goal of the THRIVES program is to provide rapid re-housing for the homeless to address the characteristics of rural Nebraska. Assistance is provided to help the participant obtain affordable housing through limited financial assistance and maintain housing utilizing the case management services provided.
Heartland United Way
Click below to see the most updated Heartland United Way Resources available in town.
Women, Infants, & Children (WIC)
Click below if you'd like to learn more or apply for WIC.
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
Click below if you'd like to learn more or apply for SNAP.