Laburnum Community Connection
Family Edition - November 1, 2020
Thank you everyone who showed up at our Trunk or Treat Event last Wednesday. We had so many families show up that we had to make an additional candy run!!
Last Friday, you should have received a survey from Henrico County Public Schools. The intent of the survey is for you to indicate whether your student(s) will remain a virtual learner or return to school for in person learning. We know that this is a decision that requires careful consideration and that you have many questions. Please know that we are working hard to plan for the safe return of students.
The survey closes on November, 8th. However, we are asking that you complete the survey before that deadline. As you can imagine, we need the intent information from both students and staff before we are able to finalize our plans for both virtual and in person learners. You are required to have a Parent account on PowerSchool to complete the survey. See below for directions on how to create an account. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out.
How to access the Student Intent Form:
- The form is located within the PowerSchool Parent Portal.
- Sign in using your PowerSchool Parent Portal username and password.
- Once signed in, locate the menu item called “Access Online Forms”.
- From there, select your student(s) name(s) and follow the instructions on the screen for each student.
- The instructions will point you to a link for “Student Intent 2020-21”
- Need to create a PowerSchool account? Start here for detailed instructions and a how-to video.
- If you are unable to access the Student Intent Form through PowerSchool, please contact your school for assistance. Schools will be prepared to take your information in other ways.
Update - NEW DATE!!! Author Visit from Kwame Alexander & SFEC Meeting
See the flyer below for more information and check out the video below to learn about Mr. Alexander.
21st Century Community Learning Center Grant
Henrico Education Foundation (HEF) is excited to announce that Laburnum Elementary is now a site of a new 21st Century Community Learning Center (CLC). Now a community hub offering Extended Day programming that includes academic support, enrichment and family programming during non-school hours. We look forward to working with you and bringing a variety of opportunities to your families. More information is forthcoming.
Don't miss out on a chance to win a $25 Walmart gift card from the PTA!! See below for details on how to win.
1. You must join the PTA online ($5.00 + .50 cent surcharge) by Wednesday, Nov. 3. Use the link below.
2. Attend the virtual general meeting on Thursday, November 4 at 6:00 PM. See information below.
Meeting Link: https://meet.google.com/rfi-haub-dgp
Join by phone: (US) +1 334-422-0801 PIN: 606 234 918#
The winner will be announced at the Virtual Principal Chat on November 7, 2020 at 10:00 AM. See link below.
No Hassle Fund Raising for Laburnum
The Laburnum PTA part of the Kroger Community Rewards Program. Help us raise funds for our school and children by linking your Kroger rewards card to the Laburnum PTA. Go to https://www.kroger.com/i/community/community-rewards to link your rewards card to the Laburnum Elementary PTA.
If you shop on Amazon, you can also support the Laburnum PTA if you use Amazon Smile. AmazonSmile is a simple way for you to support your favorite charitable organization every time you shop, at no cost to you. AmazonSmile is available at smile.amazon.com on your web browser and can be activated in the Amazon Shopping app for iOS and Android phones. When you shop at AmazonSmile, you’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added benefit that AmazonSmile will donate 0.5% of your eligible purchases to the charitable organization of your choice. You can choose from over one million organizations to support.
Follow Us on Social Media
- November 3 - School is closed
- November 4 - Independent Learning-Students will have asynchronous assignments in Schoology
- November 7 10:00 AM - Monthly Principal Chat - Each month I will host a discussion with parents to answer questions and hear your concerns & ideas. The link is below.
- November 12 - Independent Learning- Students will have asynchronous assignments in Schoology.
- November 13 - School is closed
- November 19 - 9:30 AM - SFEC Meeting & Title I Event: Author - Kwame Alexander
- November 16 - 20 - Conferences
Submit any questions, thoughts, or ideas on this form.
Future Student Work Packet Distribution Dates:
If you are unable to get a packet, you can also print a copy of the packet from our Laburnum Virtual Learning website. Click on your child's grade level at the top of the site to locate the work packet.
Resources for Families to Support Virtual Learning
- Laburnum Virtual Learning Website - During virtual learning, you can click on this website for information.
- Digital Learning Quick Guide
- Digital Learning Information for Elementary School Families
- HCPS Mission Forward 2020-21 Learning Plan: A Handbook for Families - A guide to help families understand and visualize what virtual learning will look like.
- HCPS Student Virtual Learning Support - This information is also linked to our Laburnum Virtual Learning website homepage
Breakfast & Lunch
If you choose to come 7 AM - 9 AM, students will receive a hot breakfast and cold lunch for the same day. If you come 11:30 AM - 1:30 PM, students will receive a hot lunch and cold breakfast for the following morning.
The county is also providing meal distribution by bus.
- Mondays and Wednesdays: On Mondays, buses will distribute meals for Monday and Tuesday. On Wednesdays, breakfasts and lunches will be distributed for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, as well as Monday breakfast.
- Buses will make 30-minute stops at each location, between 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
- Laburnum has two stops:
Brookhill Road and Crenshaw Ave.
Delmont St. and Engleside Drive