Riding the Wave of Excellence!
August 28, 2022
It was a great first full week of school! This week I invite you to attend our PTO meeting on Thursday, September 1, from 5:00-6:00pm in our multipurpose room (MPR). We are excited to welcome new members and for the possibilities that our partnership could bring to our students. We look forward to seeing you this Thursday!!
How else can you get involved in making decisions that continue to make Mission a safe, fun, and engaging environment? Join our School Site Council. We have 4 openings and we meet about once a month with other Mission parents and staff members to learn about our site's plans geared to help excel in student achievement and thrive through academic and social-emotional support. Please complete this form if you are interested in joining our School Site Council.
Consider joining our District Parent Advisory Committee (DPAC). I also invite parents of Multilingual Learners to join our English Learner Meetings (ELAC). More information will be shared in the upcoming newsletters. As you can see, there are many ways parents/guardians can get involved at our school!
2022-2023 School Schedule: detailed school schedule is linked HERE. If you are a parent of a TK student, please remember that on Thursday, September 8, TK students will have their first full day (8:15am-2:10pm).
Chrome Device Protection Plan: Consider purchasing this optional insurance for your scholar's device. OUSD has made this support a much more efficient process and it is less costly than paying for an entire device.
- Chrome Device Protection Plan (English)
- Chrome Device Protection Plan (Spanish)
- Chrome Device Protection Plan Online Payment Instructions (English)
COX Connect 2 affordable internet: You may qualify for free or low-cost internet. Review this C2C flyer for more information.
School Meals: All meals will continue to be offered at no cost to all scholars. This year, however, students will learn and use their lunch number for accountability purposes.
ASAP is our before and after school program. If you wish to enroll your scholar, please use the ASAP Application linked here. Paper copies are available in our office. Space is limited.
Back to School Night
Mission Elementary is a Community School.
We are happy to announce that this year our school will be collaborating with Vision To Learn, a nonprofit vision care organization. Students who participate in the program will receive an initial vision screening to determine if an eye exam and glasses are needed, ALL FREE OF COST. Getting these services to our students will not only improve their ability to learn, but can also have positive impacts on behavior and overall self-esteem.
Here is a brief outline of what to expect:
1. All students who participate will receive an initial vision screening provided by Vision To Learn Tuesday, Sept 6th. This process will go quickly for students and we hope to limit out-of-class time to a few minutes per student.
2. If a student did not pass the vision screening, they will be included in the Vision To Learn eye exams.
3. Vision To Learn will return to the school over the next months to provide eye exams to students who need further care. Vision To Learn can examine about 15 students per day. Students will be out of the classroom for around 30 minutes on the day of their eye exam. If a student needs glasses, they will have an opportunity to select their frame while on the mobile clinic.
4. Vision To Learn will return to the school within 4 weeks after the exam date to distribute the glasses to students.
We are excited about this partnership and the opportunity to provide students with resources to help them succeed in school and life. If you want to learn more about the program, please visit, www.visiontolearn.org.
If you wish to opt-out of this service, we have opt-out forms available in the Health Office.
Thank you! Please reach out with any questions!
Family Engagement Opportunity: We are pleased to be able to offer three series of the Parenting the Love & Logic Way workshops this fall. Please see the attached flyers for more detailed information.
No Dogs on Campus
9/6 Vision to Learn Screenings
9/7 In-person Back-to-School Night: Informational Flyer
9/8 Transitional Kindergarten begins full day schedule (8:15am-2:10pm)
9/15 Picture Day
9/19 Non School Day
9/30 Student of the Month Assembly