Fernan STEM Academy Weekly Update
Week of 10/17-10/21
No goals are too high where falcons fly. We’re brilliant, kind and strong!
10/18-PTA Meeting, Zoom, 6-7 pm
10/26-2nd/3rd Graders STEAM Club begins
10/27-Spooky STEM Night, 5:30-7
10/29-PTA Trunk or Treat, 10-12
11/6-Daylight Savings Time Ends (fall back)
11/7-Invent Idaho projects due
11/10-3rd Grade Veterans Day Program
11/11-Veterans Day: No School
11/17-Parent/Teacher Conferences, 4:00-7:30
11/18-Parent/Teacher Conferences, 8:30-3:00
11/21-11/25 -Thanksgiving Break-No School
Arrival, Dismissal and Lunch Schedule
Link to Cd'A School District Family Calendar
10/18, from 6pm-7pm Join Zoom Meeting Meeting ID: 734 3611 5174 Passcode: g5nyRp
We are so proud of our Fernan Falcons at our district cross country meet!
Fernan STEM Academy Halloween 2022 Information
This year, we will not be wearing costumes during the school day for Halloween. However, we do have a couple of fun opportunities to show off those creative costumes. We will be hosting a Spooky STEM Night on Thursday, October 27th, from 5:30-7:00 PM. This is a FREE event! You may bring your families and come in costumes if you wish. It will be a fun night of events! We hope you are able to join us. In addition, you may bring your families for Trunk or Treat on Saturday, October 29th, from 10:00 AM-12:00 PM. This is a fundraiser to support our fabulous PTA. Dress up, sign up for a spot and enter your vehicle into the contest, or just come visit us for treats. The cost is $5 per child, $10 if you'd like to enter your car into Trunk or Treat. Hope to see you there! Stay tuned to communications from your teachers regarding other fall fun and activities!
Thank you for those who were able to attend our STEM Advisory Committee Meeting
We are looking for donations for Fernan's 'Maker Space'.
If you notice any of these items around your home, we are looking for the following:
Tape of all kinds
TP Rolls (w/o the tp)
Smaller wood pieces
Construction paper (any color)
Hot glue sticks
Thank you! Please send items with your child.
More on Fernan seeking STEM certification! Step Four is 'Create'!
- This is where all the hard work pays off. Build and experiment until you have a working solution.
- It is OK to fail here. Look at it as a stepping stone to what will be the eventual solution. Go back to the ‘Plan’ phase with the lessons learned and get ready to try a new approach!
Stay tuned for the last step!
Weekly STEM Activity: Spooky Expanding Ghost Experiment
Here’s what you’ll need for this ghastly fun:
- Empty water bottle
- Small funnel
- 1 Tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- Permanent marker (for drawing on a face – optional)
- Pour 1/2 cup of vinegar into an empty water bottle.
- Draw a face on your balloon if you’d like while it’s deflated.
- Place the funnel into the open end of the deflated balloon and pour in the baking soda.
- Secure the open end of the balloon onto the top of the bottle being careful not to dump the contents of the balloon into the bottle quite yet.
- When you’re ready, hold the balloon upright allowing the baking soda to fall into the bottle and mix with the vinegar. *So why does this work? The product of the vinegarand baking soda is carbon dioxide, a gas present when we breathe out. The carbon dioxide inflates the balloon. It’s that simple.
You must complete this form in advance. Transportation (208) 667-3451
Fernan STEM Academy
Vision Statement: Our Fernan Falcons empower one another to be problem solvers who ask, imagine, plan, create, and grow.
Mission Statement: We build the future by inspiring, engaging, and empowering students to become critical thinking problem solvers who work collaboratively to improve the world around them.