Team Thomson News & Notes
August 17, 2018
Important Information for You!
Here we go!
Again, I want to take a quick moment to welcome you back to the start of a great year! As I have shared, I am so excited about the start of this school year, the direction we are heading, and, most of all, the staff that we have in place. There has been such a positive vibe in the building and you can feel the excitement in the air. It is going to be a year filled with building true, strong relationships with students, parents, and each other; one during which we strengthen the literacy practices we have in place so that students leave here with the literacy essentials they need to continue to grow as strong readers and writers; and a year in which we remember to have fun with our students and as a staff even when things get a little stressful. Here's to a great year with a great team!
First Thing Monday
Check all student backpacks for a bus tag and ensure that there is only one tag in the pouch. If there are any questions, double tags, or missing tags report them to the office right away. If you call at 3:00 p.m. about with a transportation issue...I can not guarantee what response you will receive from the ladies in the office. :)
Cardinal Code Teaching
You don't need me to tell you that these first few weeks are all about establishing routines and making connections to kids that will impact your entire year. We know that our kids will need lots of practice to 'get it right', but remember your words and the tone in which you speak to them matters. If students aren't 'getting it', it is most likely because they truly don't know, remember, or understand fully...please remember to reteach, not retell. There is nothing wrong with having kids practice something until they get it right, but why not make a game of it as opposed to getting upset or frustrated. Remember what Rita Pierson told her students, "They put us all together to show everybody else how to do it".
As in the past, the playground staff will be coming in early to go over playground and lunch procedures the first week of school. On the first day, classrooms with lunch A1 or B1 can expect their playground monitor to come to the classroom at approximately 10:30 a.m., classrooms with lunch A2 and B2 can expect their playground monitor to arrive at approximately 11:00 a.m. During this 30 minute time, both the teacher and the playground monitor should review basic lunch procedures and then go out to the playground to go over where they will line up (line and table colors are indicated on the specials schedule) and basics of playground equipment. For August 21,22, 23 you received a schedule to follow for more in-depth lunch/playground teaching. If you have any questions, please see Christine Grech, Sarah Driskill, Amy Chorley, or any of the members of our behavior school improvement team.
I know the training for NWEA was fast and furious, but having spend a little more time myself looking through the padlet (https://padlet.com/nweapl/MG_Basics) I don't think it is complicated either. As Tom, our instructor, suggested, I encourage you to take time during your first PLC (the week of August 26th) to go through the proctoring manuals and watch the videos. From what has been shared by Hahn staff, the videos are extremely helpful.
I know that there were lots of questions regarding NWEA. At our elementary principals meeting, I did learn that Eric Chorley will be uploading the class rosters and once this is done, sometime after the first week of school, you will receive an email with your username and password. Also, elementary principals will be developing very simple testing protocols for DK-4. I can tell you that due to the length of testing, ALL students will be tested in a computer lab or library at the same time with additional staff (parapros) there to help proctor the test. Teachers will also be doing the 'assigning of the test' which will need to always be done at least a day before testing. The fall testing window for NWEA is August 27th through September 21st. I will be working with Megan Campbell to develop a testing calendar that you will then be able to sign up on.
In the meantime, breathe and see or send me any questions and remember we are all in this together and learning this new assessment system.
Important Items of Information
- ALICE Training-I would like ALL,meaning EVERYONE to participate in ALICE Training on September 11th from 4:00-6:00 p.m. ALICE training will replace our current lockdown procedures so you all need to be aware. Hourly staff will be paid for their participation. Only certified and office staff will need to complete the one hour online module prior to September 11th and you will get an email when it is ready for you to view. If you are an hourly staff member and cannot attend, please see me right away.
- Handbook Forms-Please make sure that you turn in your district employee handbook forms asap. Anna included the directions for how to access the handbook and signature form in your welcome back folders.
- 5D+ Self Assessment-Please make sure that you complete your 5D+ Self Assessment by September 7th. Watch for more information next week regarding the writing of your Growth Plan.
- Kids First T-shirt Order Form-This week each of you will be receiving the order form for the free 'I put kids first' t-shirt that is being provided to each Davison Staff member by the DEF. Please fill it out and get it back to me no later than August 29th.
- Please turn in any paperwork that you get back right away. Please do not hold it.
Quotes Worth Reading
"What if there really were two paths? I would want to be on the one that leads to awesome!"
"The strength of our student relationships makes the difference in translating our passion for teaching into their passion for learning."
Celebrations & Announcements
Birthdays: Happy Belated Birthday to our July and August Birthdays: Cheri Nill, July 2nd; Christine Grech, July 16th; Andrea Bell, July 22nd; Sarah Driskill, July 31st; Annette Niedzielski, August 13th; Michael Romanik, August 17th; Janson Vannest, August 17th!
Happy Birthday to: Suzanne Binkley, August 21st; Megan Campbell, August 22nd; Jamie Beller, August 24th!
Happy, happy birthday to you all!
Important Upcoming Dates:
- Monday, August 20th-HAPPY FIRST DAY!
- Friday, August 24th-No School for Staff or Students. The office will be open.
- Week of August 27th-PLC Week
- Monday, August 27th-NWEA/MAP Testing Window Opens (we will begin testing September 4th)
- Wednesday, August 29th-PTO Yankee Candle Fundraiser begins; 'Kids First' t-shirt order forms due
- Thursday, August 30th-DIBELS Assessment Window opens
- Friday, August 31st-No School for Staff or Students. The office will be closed.
- Monday, September 3rd-No School for Staff or Students. Happy Labor Day!
- Tuesday, September 4th-DK/K Curriculum Meeting, 4:15-5:15 p.m. at Thomson. All Certified Staff are strongly encouraged to attend.
- Wednesday, September 5th-Staff Meeting, 7:35 a.m. (Agenda: Safety procedure review, Curriculum Communication, Assessments)
- Thursday, September 6th-General Admin Meeting (Natalie)
- Friday, September 7th-5D+ Self-Assessment due by all Certified Staff
- Monday, September 10th-PTO Fundraiser ends
- Tuesday, September 11th-ALICE Training, 4-6 p.m.-ALL Staff
- Thursday, September 13th-DIBELS Assessment window closes; Motor Moms & Dads Parent Training Meetings, 10 a.m. & 1:30 p.m.
Lucky Duck #3