Iditarod Then and Now
By Essence & Jenna
The Iditarod Race Then (1925)
- The Iditarod trail was used for dogs to deliver medical supplies to Nome during the Diphtheria event. The Iditarod Race celebrates this event.
- Iditarod trail was used to deliver mail by sled-dogs (Mail Trail)
- The Iditarod trail was used for transportation, but after World War II there were better ways to travel (by the 1970s hardly anybody used dog-sleds).
- In 1998 European Poodles were used to race. (By the 1970s dog-sleds were not used anymore.
- In 1953 The Red Lantern Award was given to the last place team.
What The Sled-Dogs Wore
Earlier in history, dogs wore leather harnesses, attached to fan hitch. People also used to use wooden sleds to race.
“Forsberg, Will. “Dogsledding.” Encyclopedia Americana. Grolier Online, 2016. 6 Apr. 2016.
"Iditarod Dog Sled Race." Alaska. Enchantedlearning.com,201. Web. 31 Mar. 2016.