PLANO SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL
PSHS eNews: Where the Wildcat Nation Gets Its Information
Monday, March 21, 2016
* * PSHS PTSA (PARENT, TEACHER, STUDENT ASSOCIATION) * *
- Congratulations to Jeremy Caddell, Michael Dang, Rhiannon Jones, Ashleigh Macaluso, and Michael Smith for winning $500 scholarships at the 3/17 PTSA meeting! Thanks to Nationwide, a PTSA Community Partner, for sponsoring 2 of these scholarships, and thanks to our supportive PTSA members and donors for the other 3 scholarships. Seniors who are PTSA members for both years are eligible to win.
- Congratulations to these volunteers for being the elected PTSA officers for the 2016-2017 school year! The votes at the March 17 PTSA general meeting were unanimously in favor.
President Jackie Myers
1st VP Membership Jill Radash
2nd VP Communications Kathie Lance
3rd VP Volunteers Edilia Bern
4th VP Ways and Means Angela S. King
Treasurer Kristi Tsao
Secretary Linda Sealy
If you are interested in being a Committee Chair on the PTSA board, please contact Edilia Bern at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Library inventory volunteers are needed! The Library will conduct an Annual Book Inventory on March 29 – April 1 from 9:00-4:00. Super easy, hand held scanners are provided. Your help would be greatly appreciated on any day/time that fits your schedule! Please contact one of these people to let them know when you are available or for more information: Cindy Robbins email@example.com , Linda Bamback firstname.lastname@example.org, or Candace Neal Candace.email@example.com. Thanks in advance for your support!
- The Plano ISD Council of PTAs will host the 21st Annual Vendor Fair on April 9 from 9:00-1:00 in the PSHS cafeteria. Meet vendors and get ideas for fundraising, programs, hospitality, arts in education, etc. The Event is free and open to the community. Discover ideas that can benefit your family, PTAs, booster clubs, scouting groups, church groups, sports teams, and much more. The First 150 people will get a reusable bag with giveaways, information, and promotion. Enjoy the free samples, and enter to win door prizes (drawings are every 30 minutes). Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Seniors: Purchase tickets now for the popular after-prom event at Dave and Busters on 5/1 from midnight to 5am. The ticket price includes unlimited buffet and drinks, game card with unlimited play (except for games that dispense tickets), and entry into drawings for scholarships and great prizes! Ticket prices are $20 single online, $35 couple online, and $25 single at-the-door. https://planoptsa.membershiptoolkit.com/form/m/14857
- Volunteers are needed for the After Dark after-prom event on May 1. Help us to make this a fun celebration for our Senior students. Sign up online at https://planoptsa.membershiptoolkit.com/Open_Forms. Just select “PSHS Volunteer Opportunities 2015-2016”, go to the ‘Senior Celebration’ section, and sign up. Thank you!
- Openings are available on the PISD Council of PTAs committees. Here is a link that describes the committee positions. https://pisdcouncil.membershiptoolkit.com/assets/00039/OfficersandChairpeopleWanted.pdf
- Looking for an educational summer activity? A variety of options are listed on the PTSA College Info website. https://planoptsa.membershiptoolkit.com/college_info
- Celebrate Hedgcoxe’s 25th birthday by enjoying a fun day in the sun at their annual golf tournament, benefiting the Hedgcoxe PTA. The tournament will be at the Twin Creeks Golf Club on April 29th. Included in your $75 registration fee is free use of the driving range, as well as a burger lunch buffet, so come early and come hungry. Anyone is welcome to play, men or ladies, kids or grandparents, scratch golfers, weekend warriors or once a year hackers. The players cover the spectrum. Support the school and have some fun! Information is available on the Hedgcoxe PTA website. http://www.planmygolfevent.com/28843-Hedgcoxe_7th. For any questions, please contact Nick Foligno (email@example.com) or Stacie Markley (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- You’re invited to celebrate Hedgcoxe Elementary’s 25th Birthday at the annual school carnival on Friday, April 1st, from 5-8 pm. There will be bounce houses, petting zoo, obstacle course, cake walk, midway games, food, fun, and more! As this is the school’s 25th Birthday, they hope to see many Hedgcoxe alumni, though all are very welcome. Join this fun Friday evening! Information, food, and ticket order forms can be found online at www.hedgcoxepta.org and www.facebook.com/hedgcoxecarnival.
- Our generous PSHS PTSA Community Partners would like to meet you! Stop by or contact them for more information about how their business can help you.
Wildcat Sponsor ($2000)
Maroon Sponsor ($500)
Looking for an online Driver’s Ed class? PTSA is partnering with Aceable Drivers Ed to provide a discounted rate for their online state approved Drivers Education course. Simply sign up using the NEW discount code ‘PSHS’ to receive a 25% discount! www.aceable.com
* * * * * * * * * * * * BOOSTER ANNOUNCEMENTS * * * * * * * * * * * *
PSHS THEATRE FUNDRAISER AT RAISING CANE’S
PLEASE eat at RAISING CANE'S Tuesday, March 22nd between the hours of 10am - 10pm on 15th Street in Plano! Mention your support of the PSHS Theatre at the register and 15% of the sales will be donated to the program. Thank you!
BASEBALL BOOSTERS FLOWER SALES
VISITING COLLEGES / SERVICES
Tuesday, March 22nd Both Lunches/Cafeteria:
University of Alabama
University of Arkansas
University of Tennessee
Wednesday, March 23rd Both Lunches/Cafeteria:
Mississippi State University
SUMMER SCHOOL REGISTRATION
Registration for Summer School begins TODAY, March 21st. Students must have prior approval from their Counselor before they can register for a class. On-line registration is available at http://www.pisd.edu/students/summer.school/ . Paper copies are available from individual Counselors.
LADY WILDCAT SOFTBALL
Any PSHS/Clark/Vines student that attends our home game against Lewisville on Tuesday, March 22nd and shows their ID at our concession stand will get a $2 Wildcat meal which includes hamburger or hotdog, drink and chips.
JV plays at 5pm and Varsity starts at 7pm.
IMPORTANT: Lists of graduates are posted across from Registrar’s window. Please check your name and make sure it is spelled correctly for diploma printing BY MONDAY, March 28th!
The Delta Kappa Gamma Scholarship deadline has been extended to March 28, 2016. This scholarship is for graduating seniors interested in pursuing a teaching degree in college. Applications are available in the Counseling Department.
WHITE GUARD/MASCOT TRYOUTS
Tryouts: Wednesday & Thursday, March 23 and 24 @ Plano Senior High cafeteria
Tryout times: 4:30pm to complete:
Wednesday, March 23rd Interviews 5:00- 7:00pm @ PSHS cafeteria
Thursday, March 24th Tryouts 5:00-7:00pm @ PSHS cafeteria
Packets available: in the PSHS fishbowl Monday, February 1st
*Mandatory pre-tryout parent/participant meeting March 1st at 6pm in the PSHS B Building Lecture Hall
Packets due: Friday, March 18th no later than 4:15pm to the PSHS fishbowl
Late packets will not be accepted unless previous arrangements have been made with the PSHS cheer coaches.
*Mandatory post-tryout parent/participant meeting (for those that made the team!)April 5th at 6pm in the PSHS B Building Lecture Hall
Please contact: Kim.email@example.com with questions.
Prom Tickets are on sale online through parent portal at https://parentviewer.pisd.edu/ for $30/student until Tuesday, April, 26th. At the door, they will be $40/student. Only seniors may purchase tickets. Limit is two per student.
ONLINE TICKET PURCHASE INSTRUCTIONS:
-Log in to Parent Portal
-Scroll down to "Student Registration" window
-Click on your student's name
-Click on "Pay Now" button...this will open a window for prom ticket purchase
-Print out receipt, if possible, for student to present when time to pick up tickets
MEN’S WEARHOUSE PROM PROMOTION
NOW is the time to think about what you’re wearing to prom and Men’s Wearhouse can help you find the look that’s right for you! They’ve got the latest styles like slim fit as well as modern styles for those who like to keep it classic.
Become a Prom Rep and earn a free tux rental and suit to keep, plus you could win $25,000! Sign up for their free rewards program and save $30 on your rental. You can even get instant rewards - $10 gift cards for sports apparel, electronics, phone apps and more! You can also help earn money for your school! When you rent your tux from Men’s Wearhouse, your school gets cash back for each rental. Visit your nearest store or check out http://www.menswearhouse.com/ for all the details.
Autism Awareness Month
My name is Anthony Ruttenburg and I am reaching out to you at this time for your support and commitment for an upcoming event. I am hosting an event Saturday April 9, 2016 in the Plano East Gymnasium for Autism Awareness month. This event is to bring light to the increasing families and friends who are affected by autism in our community and across the country. This event will be setup like a pep rally for the first 30-60 minutes depending on the level of commitment I can get involved to perform. After the pep rally portion the Plano East Panther Pride Special Olympic basketball team will take on the Plano and Murphy Police department in what is sure to be an epic battle of will and endurance. This event will start at 12 noon and end around 3pm. We will have several places setting up booths to talk about autism and give advice on various resources. My hope is that you will be able to assist me in making this event a success and help get the word out to the community and the student body. Change does not happen over night but if we all work together we can slowly but surly change things one day at a time.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
ADVANCED FASHION DESIGN – WORLD WEAR PROJECT: RECYCLING SHOES AND CLOTHING NEVER MADE MORE CENTS!
Be a part of diverting thousands of pounds of shoes and clothing from local landfills by filling our shoe and clothing donation bin with your gently used: shoes, clothes, purses, belts, wallets, hats, caps, backpacks, hard toys, stuffed animals, pots and pans. For every pound donated from you, our fashion students receive $0.15. Our bin is conveniently located in the East parking lot by the gym in handicap parking.
The benefit to you? Neater closets, drawers, toy boxes, and kitchens, and the knowledge that less textile waste will end up in our local landfills. Thank you from Advanced Fashion Design students!
~ ~ ~ PSHS...TRADITION OF EXCELLENCE ~ ~ ~
Plano Senior High School
Plano Senior High School Website:
PSHS PTSA Website: