SPS District 186 Parent Engagement Roundtable
Student Learning Objective
Parent Teacher Conferences
November discussion: How did they go?
Technology Plan Discussion
November discussion to Technology Refresh
Food Services Updates
Celebrated District Data
Graduation & Attendance Rate up....
186 Student Roundtable
The Student Roundtable:
- Sponsored its First Annual Unity Day!
- Visited High Schools and Middle Schools
- Is led by Student Board Member, Diamond Jackson winner of Governor's Youth Volunteer Service Award for Central Illinois
More Discussion Topics:
- Some members of the Parent Engagement Roundtable visited schools this year. They liked being able to tour the building and see schools in action. Purposes of visits: To experience the school as a parent who may have child going to the school in the future and to experience the culture of the school.
- Learned about District 186 Summer Schools - Elementary, Middle and High School programs.
- The Physician Pipeline Preparatory Program (P4) is designed for High School Freshmen interested in a career as a physician. These students are invited to an experience like no other. (P4), sponsored by SIU School of Medicine and Springfield Public Schools.
- College Board conducted a free audit of current AP classes in District 186. The College Board is a mission-driven not-for-profit organization that connects students to college success and opportunity. Goals of the audit:
- Increase access for all students in AP classes
- To increase students taking the AP tests
- To increase offerings of classes
District 186 will receive grant money to bring Lead Higher here to increase our AP courses and successful participation rates and enroll more students who are not always in these classes.
District 186 has District level Parent and Student Groups that meet regularly with Superintendent Gill. Roundtables are open to interested 186 parents/family members and interested high school students. Contact Peggy Cormeny for more information.
Stay informed this year! District 186 School Board Meetings held on the first and third Monday of each month in the Board Room of the administrative offices located at 1900 West Monroe Street. They are open to the public, on Channel 22 & YouTube.