WHES Heights Highlights
Week 12: Nov. 6 - Nov. 10, 2023
Haga clic aquí para ver un video rápido (inglés)
Как этот информационный бюллетень можно перевести на более чем 100 языков?
Нажмите на ссылку здесь, чтобы посмотреть быстрое видео (английский)
Celebrate Kindness DAY and Kindness WEEK 2023!
November 13th - 16th is National Kindness Week! (Below are Other Celebrations in November)
November 6th - National Nacho Day
November 9th - World Freedom Day
November 10th - US Marine Corps Day
November 11th - Veterans' Day
November 12th - Hindu Diwali
November 13th - World Kindness Day. (Nov. 13th - 16th = Kindness Week)
November 15th - America Recycles Day
November 16th - International Tolerance Day
November 17th - World Peace Day
WHES Newsletter Update for 11 06 2023
Highlights for this twelfth week of school are:
Monday - 11/06/23
- 8:30 am Monday Morning Message Assembly begins for 4th and 5th. These Assemblies will be streamed by the teacher in each class. See Google Calendar for Assembly Dates.
- Re-Discover Art Maker/Tinker Space for Upper Grade Students
- Student Success Ceremony. Families are invited to come to see their child being honored for Character trait "Caring", or an Academic Goal, and/or Attendance. Please come to celebrate your child's teacher or class selecting him or her as an honoree for our Student Success Ceremony! All parents of student honorees are invited to come in person or on Zoom. To check the dates of future student success assemblies, click this link. To check the student names of honorees check inside this weekly or contact your child's teacher directly.
Tuesday - 11/07/23
- Day 1 of 1: Yogurtland Fundraiser (Two-Day Event on Tuesday and Wednesday) Buy your child and family a Treat of Yogurt or Sherbet while supporting your child's school! LOCATION: 8752 S Sepulveda Tell them Westport Heights sent you! :)
- Library Open for Classrooms: Ms. Lumsden On Campus
- 7:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Principal & Family Office Hours: LINK HERE Meeting ID 832 5401 3486
- 1:38 pm Minimum Day Dismissal EVERY Tuesday (Please make sure your child is picked up on time if he/she is not enrolled in the Kids4College or Youth Services after-school program.)
- 1:50 pm Teacher PD TOPIC: iReady Data Analysis (Potential ESPO Facilitator or Grade Span Guided Exploration) Teachers: Bring your fully charged device, please.
- 2:50 pm Teacher Staff Meeting Agenda Topic: Fentanyl/Substance Use Awareness (District Required)
Wednesday - 11/08/23
- Day 2 of 2 Yogurtland Fundraiser (Two-Day Event on Tuesday and Wednesday) Buy your child and family a Treat of Yogurt or Sherbet while supporting your child's school! LOCATION: 8752 S Sepulveda Tell them Westport Heights sent you! :)
- Wednesday Folder Goes Home: [Parent Conference Appointment Sheets, LAX Schools Art Competition Flyer; Kindness Spirit Week Flyer; Strategic Planning Survey goes out by District; Winter Academy; Family Movie Night; Parent Pizza with the Principal - All Families Welcome Please RSVP to attend after your Parent Conference]
- Re-Discover Art Maker/Tinker Space for Lower Grade Students
Thursday - 11/09/23 (60th DAY OF SCHOOL)
- 4:30pm School Site Council Meeting All school stakeholders are invited to attend.TOPIC: SPSA Evaluation; Review and Approve Allocation of Funds in S046 and E046
- Library Open for Classrooms: Ms. Lumsden On Campus
Friday - 11/10/23
- NO SCHOOL in observance of Veterans' Day on Saturday, November 11, 2023
11/13/23 Monday- Kindness Spirit Week begins
Parent Conference Shortened Day Dismissal: November 13, 15, 16, and 17th at 2:03pm
11/15/23 Wednesday - Art Show Competition Submission is due
11/17/23 Friday- Family Movie Night in the school auditorium
Fall Break: Monday November 20, 2023 - November 24, 2023. Return to School on Monday, November 20, 2023
Have a great evening and see you tomorrow!
Click this link for the Community Letter: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vZSSsonkJrhzb1XOsStBAoJA4eH6uDPN/view?usp=sharing given to families the first week of school!
Joy and FUN at Westport Heights: Harvest Festival Activities!
Digital Updates as of Monday, November 6, 2023
- Virtual Academy Days: Students are able to attend for three days of academic and enrichment opportunities on December 18, 19, and 20, 2023. The location of the Winter Academy for our students is Open Charter Magnet. Click the image below for the district website that allows you to register your child or go to https://www.lausd.org/winteracademy
- Los Angeles Public Library Student Success Cards: LAUSD students are automatically assigned a Student Success Card. That means they can use their cards to access ALL our online resources. They don’t need the physical card, just the library card number and PIN. Please inquire by emailing email@example.com.
- Borrow up to 5 books
- Instantly get digital books, magazines, music, movies, and newspapers
- Find an online tutor every day from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m
- No fines and fees ever
- Attendance Reminder & Tardy Policy: Student success starts with great attendance! Missing just 10% of the school year can leave students struggling and/or not reaching their full potential. Students should not have more than 1 absence for every 25th day of school. We give prizes and incentives and special recognition for attendance. Please note that it is important to be at school on time. Students must be in-seat with their teacher by 8:15 a.m. or they will be marked tardy. Even Breakfast in the Classroom is a part of the regular school day. Every part of the school day counts!
- Birthday Acknowledgment: See Below
- Volunteers Needed: We need Volunteers for Morning Valet 7:40 am - 8:10 am, Breakfast in the Classroom 8 am - 8:30 am; and Stuffing Wednesday Folders for Classrooms on Tuesday and/or Wednesday Morning. Please contact Blanca Espinoza, Community Rep, for more information on how to get involved. You can email her at Blanca.E.Espinoza@lausd.net or call the school to get her number.
- Tutoring Services: There are 4 types of Tutoring/Intervention for reading and math offered at every LAUSD Elementary School. Our Elementary School Qualifies for 3 of the 4 tutoring services available for elementary schools. Two of those three services can be accessed at home by families: On-Demand Homework help with Paper.co and Home-Based (Virtual) Tutoring Services that open for enrollment on the Parent Portal today, September 18, 2023, for eligible students. The process to enroll will be explained in detail and the Tuesday, September 26th Principal Office hours and also can be explained by contacting our Community Representative, Blanca Espinoza at 310-645-5611. Click the image below for information.
Winter Academy: 3 Extra Days of Academic and Enrichment Opportunity (ENROLL NOW)
Birthday Acknowledgment Policy 2023 -2024: Click IMAGE Below
TUTORING INFORMATION FOR FAMILIES
What is Diwali Day Celebration? (Videos)
Special Principal Office Hours: Every School Safe Parent/Guardian Workshops: Preview Student Info
WESTPORT Principal Office Hours and Student Presentation Calendar
Westport Heights Elementary Principal Office Week of 09_11_23 We are Safe. We are Respectful. We are Responsible. Parent Workshops Each month I host a Chat with the Principal to bring you current information, happenings on our campus, LAUSD news as well Q and A. Some of our Chats w...
CLICK IMAGE BELOW TO ACCESS THE PRINCIPAL ZOOM ON TUESDAYS
Principal Office Hour Topics:
10/10/23: Suicide Awareness Parent Preview of Student Material; Q&A
10/17/23: School Updates: Great Shake Earthquake Drill; Review Safe School Plan
10/24/23: Review Safe School Emergency Plan; General Office Hours
10/31/23: Local Control and Accountability Plan (LCAP); Library Succes Cards; Q&A
11/6/23: Strategic Planning School Enrollment Survey; Winter Academy (December 18-20th); Q&A
11/13/23: Fentanyl/Substance Use Awareness Parent/Guardian Meeting
Student Success Award Ceremony Assembly: Monday, November 6, 2023
YOU ARE INVITED!! ALL ARE WELCOME! CHECK THE ROSTER BY TUESDAY MORNING TO SEE IF YOUR CHILD IS BEING HONORED NEXT MONDAY!
CLICK LINKS BELOW TO SEE STUDENT HONOREES
11/6 Growth Mindset Character Counts at WHES Explanation
All day, every day! We follow the Westport Way. The Westport Way = We are Respectful, We are Responsible, and We are Safe! At Westport we believe educating the whole child in partnership with families. We know that parents work to make support their child in becoming the best they can be in ...
11/6 Student Success Ceremony Explanation
All day, every day! We follow the Westport Way. The Westport Way = We are Respectful, We are Responsible, and We are Safe! At Westport, we believe in a growth mindset around academic and social-emotional learning. Students may make mistakes - as we all do, but we believe in marking the success...
IMPORTANT SCHOOL DATES: NO SCHOOL & SPECIAL EVENTS
Here is the list with the first day of school, Special School events, plus all the dates students do not have school for the school year 2023-2024:
First Day of School - August 14, 2023
Back to School Night - Thursday, August 24, 2023, at 4 pm (SPECIAL SCHOOL EVENT)
Admission Day (no school) - September 1, 2023
Labor Day (no school) - September 4, 2023
Unassigned Day (no school) - September 25, 2023
Harvest Festival - Friday, October 27, 2023, at 1:15 pm (SPECIAL SCHOOL EVENT)
Veterans Day (no school) - November 10, 2023
Thanksgiving Holiday (no school)- November 20-24, 2023
Winter Recess (no school) - December 18, 2023 - January 5, 2024
The Second School Semester Begins - January 8, 2024
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (no school) - January 15, 2024
Presidents Day (no school) - February 19, 2024
Multicultural Festival - Friday, February 23, 2024 at 1:30 pm (SPECIAL SCHOOL EVENT)
Spring Recess (no school) - March 25-29, 2024
Cesar Chavez Day (no school) - April 1, 2024
Open House - Thursday, April 11, 2024 at 4:30 pm (SPECIAL SCHOOL EVENT)
Armenian Genocide Day (no school) - April 24, 2024
Memorial Day (no school) - May 27, 2024
Last Day of School - June 11, 2024. (5th Grade Culmination)
To download the LAUSD 2023-2024 Calendar in PDF, please visit LAUSD's official website or click the image below. A hard copy of this updated calendar will also be sent home with all of the other schedules in the Blue Wednesday Folder.
Westport Heights Participates in LAUSD Community Building
The Student & Family Wellness helpdesk is open 8 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday. Please call for support with mental health, immunizations, health insurance, food & housing, enrollment, and more.
Steps to Allow Your Child be Issued a Device
- You will need to register on Parent Portal using your PIN, Child's Student ID, and date of birth if you have never done so before. Register here: https://achieve.lausd.net/Page/10470
- Your child and the parent/guardian need to sign and return the Responsible Use Policy (RUP) and other forms that are being sent home during the first week of school. You will need to complete District Device Permission forms in advance of your child receiving a device. THE THREE (3) FORMS ARE ALL LINKED IN THE BLUE BOXES UNDERNEATH THE SCHOOL READINESS BOX BELOW.
4th and 5th only: Your child needs to know their MyMail address ("firstname.lastname@example.org") and password to open the Chromebook. The teacher will provide this information to each student when they receive their device.
TK - 3rd only: Each student has their QR code to access Schoology given to them by their teacher.
Welcome Back Westport Heights 2023-2024 Teacher Roster
We are small but mighty! Welcome back Westport Heights Elementary School Teachers:
UTK - Mrs. Ann Bishay (Room 1)
TK/K - Mrs. Luzveida Hernandez Cruz (Room 2)
K - Mrs. Abby Devlin (Room 3)
1st - Mrs. Linda Recendez (Room 7)
1st/2nd - Mrs. Farrah Cocozza (Room 8)
2nd - Ms. Luz Quintero (Room 11)
3rd - Ms. Christine Grams (Room 14)
4th - Mr. Theodore Fortier (Room 22)
4th/5th - Ms. Brittany Evans (Room 23)
5th -Mr. Seth Faber (Room 21)
RSP Teacher: Ms. Batres
PSW Counselor: Jillian Scognamillo
School Psychologist: Ms. Valle
Community Rep, Blanca Espinoza, will be providing parent support drives at the beginning of the year to meet the goal of 100% family registration on Parent Portal and Schoology access. Please let us know what you need to successfully be connected. We want everyone in the loop! You can call the school to reach Mrs. Blanca or call (424)666-1153.
Bell Schedule: Arrive to classroom by 8:15am to not be tardy!
Early before-school drop off in the auditorium for PAL - 5th grade.
NOTE: This is not a before school program, but a time that school staff will have activities for the children like reading, coloring, or puzzles. They sit by grade level and sit and talk
- 8:00am Students Line Up Supervision Staff escort students to classroom (put away backpacks and lunches)
- 8:10am Students enter classroom to be in seat before the tardy bell
- 8:15am Tardy Bell Rings
- 2:38pm Dismissal (except Tuesday 1:38pm early dismissal)
- dismissal - 6 pm After School Care (Kids4College or Youth Services) picks up the children whose parents applied for the FREE child care program
Drop Off & Pick-Up Protocols
The front of the school will have signs and cones for areas that are not for parking. There is ample street parking. Please make sure to observe all traffic laws and not block our neighbors' driveways.
Breakfast and Lunch are free for those families who want to have it for their child. Click this link to find our school menu.https://achieve.lausd.net/Page/11718
After School Protocols
- TK/K/1st exit from the kinder yard.
- 2ND & 3RD will be escorted outside to front of the school.
- 4TH & 5TH exit from the Yorktown gate.
NOTE: On inclement/rainy days, UTK - K dismiss from their classroom; 1st - 5th from the auditorium.