Ag Impact on Shelby County
By: Christabel, Emily, Ethan, Connor, Gracie
In 2007 there were 871 farms and in 2012 there were 869.
average size of the farms in 2007 were 411 acres and in 2012 there were 428.
Fsc has a business for farmers by selling seed and spraying the fields.
Cyclone Seed and Chemical helps by soil sampling and giving maps for fertilizer.
- cattle-44,612 head
- many more products
- acres of farmland
- land in Shelby County
- corn price per bushel
- soybean price per bushel.
- Cover crops
- Impacts farming technique. Today we use contours Farm to feed the country
- 100 years ago everyone was farming
- The farmers only used steam machines
- used horses to pull crops
- People will show their animals in 4-H.
- You would also have a Shelby County Fair.
- Joining FFA is FUN for people because you get to sell fruit, popcorn, and other things. And you can also have a steak dinner.
- People will have meat lockers to store their meats in.
- Helps crop farmers:
- be more time efficient
- choose what hybrid they will be planting for the upcoming year
- Hybrids can be to used to:
- prevent pests like insects and diseases
- creating strong stands
- increasing the yield per acre
- Helps livestock farmers:
- butchering process has become more efficient
Problems with technology:
- machinery needing fixed
- high demand for more skilled workers and people with educations to fix these problems.