Major Family Update
École Kingston East Elementary School - June 19th 2022
This week, we look forward to various classroom celebrations and outdoor fun days and a singing club showcase. We will also have a special farewell celebration for our Grade 6 students who are finishing off their last year at our school. As well, in honour of Pride Month, student council has selected our last Spirit Day as Rainbow Day on Wednesday, June 22nd. Show off your favourite colours, Majors!
Creating Successful Learning Environments
Creating class lists is a shared task by our team of educators who spend a significant amount of time getting to know your child, discovering their academic, social and emotional needs in educational settings both inside and outside of the classroom. Each year we want to build the best possible learning environments for all learners. Our school team considers a wide range of factors including overall number of students in each grade (if a split grade), student learning styles and personalities, academic strengths and needs, a balance of gender identities, peer relationships, learning skills and work habits, and social/ emotional strengths and needs.
All classrooms, whether a single grade or a combined grade, include students performing at a wide range of achievement levels. We meet the needs of all learners in a classroom through differentiated instruction with a focus on developing critical thinking skills, and by providing modifications and accommodations for various learning needs. In every case, educators put great thought into creating responsive classroom learning environments that will support the success of all students.
If you wish to make a request for class placement for next year, we ask parents to email the school directly and to communicate your child's needs as a learner rather than a specific teacher's name. Teacher assignments can change for many reasons (illness, transfer, leave of absence, etc.) and what does not change are your child's needs. This sharing can serve to further inform our team of educators while creating class lists but does not guarantee a particular placement.
As previously shared, we have been tentatively approved to organize with 20 French Immersion classes and 15 English classes based on projected numbers. Please also keep in mind that our school organization may change before the first day of school, based on new registrations from families moving into our catchment area and those who move out over the summer. Our staffing continues, and current educator assignments will be shared during the last week of school. Information about your child’s class placement is expected to be shared by email on Friday, September 2nd. Students with special education needs requiring transition support will be contacted earlier. The first day of school will be Tuesday, September 6th 2022.
Are you moving?
Grade 6 Celebration-June 23rd @ 12:15 pm
Dear Grade 6 Families,
We are looking forward to our Grade 6 Celebration on Thursday, June 23rd starting at 12:15 pm. Our students and staff are working hard to make it a special event for our Grade 6 students who will be moving on to various schools for their Intermediate years.
Our event will be held in the KEES gymnasium. Our program will include a welcome by administration, recognition of each Grade 6 student, a collaborative slideshow and finishing off with cake and refreshments for the students.
Grade 6 students can invite up to 4 guests to attend the Grade 6 Celebration. For planning purposes, please fill out the RSVP of the invitation that went home on Friday with how many guests will be attending and return by Tuesday, June 21st.
We appreciate your support!
The Grade 6 Celebration Planning Team
June is National Indigenous History Month & Pride Month
Monday, June 20th Day 5
- World Refugee Day
- Welcome Lani Fox School Visit AM
- Piano Recitals (First Nutrition Recess Break) Library 11:15 -11:55 am
- Turcotte/Prescott Splash pad (middle block)
- Year end Fun Day (Middle block)
Drawing club farewell 1:35-2:15(Library)
Tuesday, June 21 Day 1: National Indigenous Peoples Day and Summer Solstice
- Piano Recitals 1st recess/nutrition break (library)
- Year end Fun Day (Middle block)
- Hein/Melbourne 12:15 Family Presentation & splash pad
- Toffolon/Silver End of Year Celebration (Middle Block)
- Sullivan/ Matheson End of Year Celebration 2:30
- Dance Force (10-11 :30) Salvary/Vollick
Wednesday, June 22nd Day 2
- Rainbow Spirit Day!
- Hein/Melbourne Raindate
- Cooper/Bailey and Trevors AM Dance Force Trip
- Pilutti Angelo PM Dance Force
- Publication Party for families (gazebo area - weather permitting) - Moncrieff, Rosillo/Harwood, Bishop 12-1:15
- Kingston Dance Force (Angelo/Pilluti) PM
Thursday, June 23rd Day 3
- Grade 6 Celebration (12:15 pm in Gym)
- Scott/Smith 12:15 Family Presentation & Splash Pad
- McNaughton/Pottier year end celebration 2:30pm
- Year end fun day rain date (middle block)
- PIZZA PIZZA Fundraiser Day-see details above.
- National Day of Remembrance for Victims of Terrorism
Friday, June 24th Day 4
- Red Friday!
- Scott/Smith Celraindate (First Block)
- Filman/Nolan Splash Pad (middle block)
- Zirpolo/Manon End of Year Celebration (3rd block)
- Singing club presentation for Grade 1/2s 10:30-11:15 (gym) -Parents of singing club members are welcome. If you are able to attend the performance, please RSVP to your child's classroom teacher!
June 27: Kinder Play Day (12-1 in the big yard)
Bowling at Garisson Lanes Ms.Edmondson/ Mme Mawson’s (9:30-12:00)
Bowling at Garrison Lanes Mrs. Barton’s /Mr. Hofer’s class.(12:30-3:00)
June 28: Staff Fairwells 8:30 Library
Kinder Play Day Raindate
Garrison Lanes Mme Ferraro /Ms. Young (11:45-2:30)
Report cards go home
June 29: Last day of classes
School Year-End Assembly: 9:30 am
June 30: PA Day
Sunscreen and Allergen & Scent Awareness Reminders
Renaming Results: École Maple Elementary School.
At the last LDSB Board Meeting, Trustees with the Limestone District School Board decided that the new name for our school will be École Maple Elementary School.
Maple Elementary School was chosen from a short list of four names provided to Trustees by the École Kingston East Elementary School (ÉKEES) Committee. The final four names – École Butternut Creek Elementary School, École Forestview Elementary School, École Maple Elementary School and École Mapleview Elementary School – were selected from a variety of suggestions provided through considerable consultation and work within the community.
The naming process was overseen by the ÉKEES Renaming Committee which includes student, parent/guardian, staff and Indigenous community representatives. The committee sought input from students, families, staff and the broader Kingston community through a year-long consultation, including three online surveys.
With the new name decided, the school will now work on a redesign of the school logo. The Majors athletic crest and school colours of red and black will remain. Over the summer, the school’s exterior signage, web and social media accounts will be updated to be completed by September 2022.
Thank you to members of the Renaming Committee for their diligence and commitment to the renaming process and much appreciation to students, staff and families for your input and engagement.
School Day & Cashless School Registration
Many families have registered and set up this secure portal to complete permissions and payments online. If you have any questions, or if you need the school to resend the registration code for your student, please contact the main office.
Once in use, the new easy-to-use portal will remove the risks associated with sending money to school with students, the frustration of lost or missing permission forms, and significantly reduce the amount of paper our school consumes. Let's get our families registered!
Outdoor Improvement Project -Phase 1
PCBF Grant Yard Improvement Project
General Info about Kindergarten Registration:
If you are registering a student for Kindergarten for a new school year (September), children must turn age four (Year 1 Kindergarten) or age five (Year 2 Kindergarten) by December 31 of that year. Those students who are already enrolled in Year 1 Kindergarten do not register again.
In accordance with Board policy, students will be enrolled in the school designated within their boundary area, based on their home address. Proof of address must be provided to finalize the registration application.
To register, the legal parent/guardian (or the student if they are older than age 18) is asked to complete a registration application. You must complete all sections and provide the school with original documentation as required.
Instructions on how to register a new student using Aspen Online Registration Process
To find the name and location of your local school, enter the student’s home address into the Locate A School tool, or call our Planning Office at 613-544-6925 ext. 305 or 1-800-267-0935 ext. 305.
Visitors and Volunteers
Although pick-ups and drop offs will continue to be done outside, you may have an appointment scheduled with educators or support staff. All visitors must use the main entrance and must report to the main office where you will sign in and receive a visitor's tag. Please do not proceed into the building until you have reported to the main office for further direction.
Key Protocol Changes
- Screening daily for COVID-19 symptoms continues to be a requirement. Staff and students are directed to stay home if they are experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms.
- Rapid Antigen Tests will continue to be available for students and staff for symptomatic testing or returning from an unplanned absence.
For more information, please follow the links below.
Traffic Safety Reminders:
- The one-way visitor parking lane is a no parking zone. Please do not park in the drop-off and fire lane in our round-about. This causes significant congestion at arrival and dismissal times.
- Please consider parking in Park & Stride zones to reduce vehicle congestion.
- Please do not drop off children in the main parking lot and school bus zones at arrival and dismissal.
- Please encourage walkers to go to crossing guards and areas with staff supervisors to assist them and to choose paths that keep them clear of traffic at arrival and dismissal.
Thank-you for working with us to keep all students safe.
Safe Arrival and Dismissal
- School supervision begins at 9:00 am on the schoolyard and the start of the school day 9:15 am. Dismissal is at 3:35 pm. Please follow the school day schedule as much as possible to establish good routines.
- Please note, although students often take the time to greet and socialize with students from other classes, this is not a recess since all students are out at once. To ensure safety, students are encouraged to go to inner field and pavement as they arrive and should proceed to line up spots as it gets closer to 9:15 am.
- Dogs are not permitted on school property.
- If you arrive between 3 pm and 3:35 for an unplanned pick up, please allow your child to remain in class learning until their class is dismissed and pick up at the class dismissal spot on the school yard.
- If your child would usually take the bus, and you have arrived for an unplanned pick up, please notify the main office of this change so that the office can alert the teacher that you will meet the student at their class meeting spot.
- As always, please communicate directly with your child's teacher about appointments or changes in dismissal procedures in advance.
- When dropping off young students, please ring the main entrance doorbell for assistance so that the main office can record their arrival and provide assistance. Please let office staff know if they will require staff assistance to get to their classroom. Visitors may not proceed into the building unless they have signed in at main office and have been provided a visitor's tag.
- Older students who arrive a few minutes late are still usually able to find their classes on the school yard during staggered entry time. At all other times, they should be dropped off at main entrance.
- Please be aware and respectful of parking restrictions in the school zone and parking lots. Please do not park in the Fire Lane.
EKEES School Advisory Council 2021-22
Thank-you to this year's SAC Council!
Chair: Goldie Brigden
Vice Chair: vacant
Treasurer: Allision Brehm
Secretary: Laura van Staalduinen
Volunteer Coordinator: vacant
Fundraising Coordinator: Emily Edwards
Communications Coordinator: Sonja Taylor
Indigenous Family Representative: Melanie Howard
Division representatives (up to 2 each for Kindergarten, Primary, Junior)
Kindergarten: Erin Caudle and Melissa Grant
Primary: Kayley Miller
Junior: Tammy Hardy
PIC rep: Christine Innocente
Bus Delays and Cancellations
Winter weather may result in bus cancellations or delays. Families should ensure they are signed up to receive direct notifications, either by email, or Tri-Board’s app. Delays and cancellations are also posted to Tri-Board’s Twitter account. Please have a back-up plan including transportation home if your child's bus is cancelled! A reminder that supervision of students is not available until 9:00 am. Please do not drop off your child at school before that time.
Please follow this link to browse the EKEES school clothing selections for students, staff & parents.
Lastly, we also have several staff and students with scent allergies and sensitivities. Thank-you for not sending any heavily scented hand sanitizers to school with your child.