The formation of a word by imitation of a sound made by it.
When is an onomatopoeia used?
- When author tries to convey how a word sounds.
- Can help the rhythm of a poem.
Example in a Sentence
- I could hear the bee buzzing.
- The snake hissed at me.
- The explosion went bang.
- "5 Examples of Onomatopoeia." YourDictionary. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Nov. 2014.
- "Onomatopoeia." Onomatopoeia. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 Nov. 2014.
- "Onomatopoeia." YouTube. YouTube, n.d. Web. 09 Nov. 2014.
- "101 Onomatopoeia Examples | Reading Worksheets." Reading Worksheets. N.p., n.d. Web. 07 Nov. 2014.