Carrers Advice

Carrers are something each and everyone of us are going to have at some point in outr life. Today I am going to help YOU by comparing different carrers of my choice. It is critical for us to have a idea of what we will do for our future. This is mainly because we are at a stage in our life that our CHOICES now will effect our future.

My Choices:

Tax Inspector



Tax Inspector:

As a tax inspector, you would work for HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and make sure that businesses follow tax laws and pay the correct amount of tax.

Your job would include:

  • examining business accounts
  • visiting businesses to interview board directors, lawyers and accountants
  • investigating suspected fraud
  • offering specialist advice about tax
  • negotiating settlements
  • representing HMRC at appeals tribunals
  • considering and applying tax law to cases
  • leading a team of caseworkers and administrative staff
  • managing relationships between HMRC and customers.

The income of a tax inspector is:

  • Graduate Programme trainees start on £25,125 (£27,311 in London)
  • Qualified tax inspectors earn from £44,000 a year.

  • Entry Requirements:

    You can join HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) at various levels. To join directly as a trainee tax inspector through the HMRC's Tax Professional Development Programme, you will need one of the following:

    • an honours degree of at least class 2:1 in any subject
    • a professional accountancy qualification.

    If you do not have a degree, you could join HMRC in an administrative role. With experience, you could then apply for a place on the Tax Professional Development Programme as an internal applicant.

    You will typically need GCSEs (A-C) in maths and English to join as an administrative assistant, or five GCSEs (A-C) including maths and English for assistant officer. However, HRMC will often accept you without these qualifications if you pass a selection test.

    You must be a UK national to work in a job where you are directly involved in a taxpayer's financial affairs (known as a 'reserved post').

    Contact HMRC for more information on recruitment.


    Your duties as a pilot would typically include:

    • carrying out pre-flight checks of instruments, engines and fuel
    • making sure that all safety systems are working properly
    • working out the best route based on weather reports and other information from air traffic control
    • following airport approach and landing instructions from air traffic control
    • checking flight data and making adjustments to suit weather changes
    • keeping passengers and crew informed about journey progress
    • writing flight reports after landing, including about any aircraft or flight path problems
    • on small planes helping to load and unload luggage or cargo.

    On flights taking a short amount of time (short haul flights), you would normally work in a two-person team, as pilot (captain) or co-pilot (first officer). On long haul flights, you would often have a flight engineer on board, who would check the instruments.

    You might also work in other areas of aviation, such as crop spraying, flight testing and flight training.


    Co-pilots (first officers) can earn between £21,000 and £43,000 a year, depending on experience. Captains can earn between £55,000 and £80,000 a year.

    Captains with around 20 years' experience can earn up to £100,000 a year.

    Entry Requirements:

    You would usually start your career as a first officer after gaining at least an Airline Transport Pilot's Licence (ATPL). This is first awarded as a 'frozen ATPL', which allows you to fly as a first officer. When you have completed enough flying hours you can apply for a full ATPL and qualify as an airline captain. You must be at least 21 years old to have a full ATPL.

    Lawyer: (barrister)

    If you are interested in a career in law and want to specialise, this could be perfect for you.

    Barristers give specialist legal advice to professional and non-professional clients, and represent individuals and organisations in court, at tribunals and at public enquiries.

    As a barrister, your work could include:

    • taking on cases (known as briefs)
    • advising on the law and how strong your client's legal case is
    • researching points of law from previous similar cases
    • providing written legal opinions to advise on cases
    • having meetings with clients to discuss their case and offer legal advice
    • getting cases ready for court by reading witness statements and reports, and preparing legal arguments
    • representing clients in court – presenting the case to the judge and jury, cross-examining witnesses and summing up
    • negotiating settlements for clients.

    You would specialise in one particular area of law, which would determine the amount of time you spend in court. For example, as a criminal law specialist working in private practice or for the Crown Prosecution Service, you would spend most of your time preparing for cases and presenting in court.

    In other areas of law, such as civil law (family law, property and tort) or chancery law (company law, tax, wills, trusts, and estates), you would mainly do office-based advisory work.


    Salaries during pupillage are at least £12,000 a year (pupillage is the final stage of training to be a barrister).

    In the first few years of practice, earnings can be anywhere between £25,000 and £200,000 a year, depending on specialism and reputation.

    Salaries in the Crown Prosecution Service are between £28,000 and £60,000 a year.

    Top earnings in private practice can reach £750,000 a year or more.

    Entry requirements:

    To become a barrister, you must first complete an academic stage of training, followed by a vocational stage and a practical pupillage.

    You can complete the academic stage by gaining:

    • either an approved law degree (known as a qualifying law degree) at class 2:2 or above
    • or a degree at 2:2 or above in any other subject, followed by a postgraduate Common Professional Examination (CPE) or Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL).

    Many Chambers require that applicants for pupillage have a minimum 2:1 degree, and the proportion accepted with a lower second class degree is very low.