CHHS 3C's Counselor Connection
CHARACTER - COLLEGE - COPING
This newsletter will be sent out every month to keep you up to date on topics related to our 3C's- Character, College & Coping!
Ann Wang- A-Cro
Chandra Manuel- Cru-Holk
Kristin Koulabouth- Holl-Mom
Leslie Walden- Mon-Schu
Faylinn Habermehl- Sco-Z
Amanda Vargas- Lead Counselor
Robin Davis- Student Advocate Counselor
Dr. James DePetro- Licensed School Psychologist
Heather Hedges- Student Data Coordinator
Glenda Cherry- Registrar
Christina Howard- Counseling Office Clerk
Our counseling website has SOOOOOOOO much information! Check it out!
- Rankings- Top 10% and Quartile Cutoffs
- CHHS Counseling Google Classroom Codes for students AND PARENTS!
- Arena Scheduling Information
- GO Center Information and link to website
- Social/Emotional Support Resources
- Transcript Request Information
- Resources for each grade level
- Senior Recommendation Letter Request Form (Under Forms and Presentations)
WELCOME OUR NEW COUNSELOR (Students Cru-Holk)
WE ARE HERE
CHHS Counselors are here for you. If the buildings are closed - we are here. If you choose in person learning - we are here. If you choose virtual at-home learning - we are here. Please email your counselor, links for email addresses are located on our website. Counselors are also able to schedule phone or WebEx Video appointments.
PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO REACH OUT WITH QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS.
GCISD Free and Reduced Applications
Nutrition Services has provided the following links for online applications for free and reduced lunch for the 2020-2021 school year. We strongly encourage parents to use the online portal as processing times are greatly reduced, in comparison to paper applications.
The second link is provided will take a parents to the GCISD website for downloading of paper applications.
Regardless of which avenue is taken, both English and Spanish applications, instructions and household letters are available, as necessary. If you have any questions, feel free to contact Nutrition Services at 817.251.5617.
Nutrition Services appreciates all of your help and consideration!
- Official Schedules - August 14th
- First Day of School - August 17th
- On-Line Learning August 17th - September 25th
- It's the need to pause
- It's listening to your body
- It's taking care of your needs
Self Care is about having a safe relationship with yourself; have self compassion.
Free Credit By Exams offered through GCISD - The 2019-2020 CBE Fall Registration is now open for the Nov. 9th exam date. REGISTRATION DEADLINE IS OCT. 9, 2019.
CBE - Credit by Exam
DUAL CREDIT 2020-2021
Attention Dual Students: Payment is due August 6. See CHHS Dual website for information on how to pay. https://chhs.gcisd.net/resources/counseling/dual_credit
TCC Dual classes will be held online in the fall. Classes begin August 24th. Please check your TCC and GCISD emails for details.
Go Center News
Questions about college and career planning? The Go Center is still available to help you. Please visit the Go Center website for information about virtual appointments, how to get in touch with us, and resources to help you make a plan.
You can also visit the College and Career Planning Tools and Tips Website for tips and resources.
You will find great information such as:
- Updating your resume
- Virtual Tours of Schools
- Investigating Job Outlooks and Majors Related to Careers
- Research your Interests
- And More!
College Board Opportunity Scholarship - Easiest Scholarships to Earn
YES JUNIORS YOU CAN WIN NOW.
Please visit the Opportunity Scholarships Website for more information and to start your journey.
NCAA - Are You Planning to Play Sports in College
2020-21 Guide for the College-Bound Student-AthleteThe 2020-21 Guide for the College-Bound Student-Athlete is now available for download! The guide is designed to assist you, athletic directors, coaches, college-bound student-athletes and their families with understanding the initial-eligibility process.
Click here to retweet our guide update and share with your student-athletes and their families! You may also find the guide on the High School Portal and NCAA.org. If you'd like to purchase copies of the guide, please visit NCAApublications.com.
SAT/ACT & AP Testing Dates and Deadlines
Please continue to check both the ACT and SAT Website for information regarding rescheduled testing dates due to COVID-19.
***If you are a student who receives testing accommodations through a 504 or IEP, please contact Mrs. Koulabouth at Kristin.Koulabouth@gcisd.net to get paperwork in order to request accommodations on any of the above tests.***
SENIORS - RECOMMENDATION LETTERS
GCISD College Visit Videos
Did you know GCISD counselors have had the privilege of traveling to colleges around the state and nation to visit GCISD alumni and admissions officers in order to get an insider's perspective on the college admissions process?
Click here to view the videos from each of our visits. We will continue to add videos as we make more visits. We hope you enjoy this resource!
FAFSA https://fafsa.ed.gov/ - CHHS School Code: 441408
- Based on parental/guardian financial status
- Request your FSA ID now - takes 2-3 days for authorization.
- FAFSA - Opens Oct. 1 and should be completed as soon as possible
- 2021-2022 FAFSA application will use 2019 tax return
- FAFSA funds are distributed on a first come first serve basis
- Completion of the application takes approximately 20-30 minutes providing you have information necessary with you at the time of application including parents prior income tax return.
- Types of aid include: Scholarships, Grants, Work-Study, Loans-last option
Selective Service System
Community Service Ambassador Program
ATTENTION CLASS OF 2020: The final deadline to submit service hours for 2019-20 was March 31, 2020.
CSAP is coordinated on behalf of CHHS by the Volunteer Community Service Ambassador Committee with support from the CHHS Counseling Office. The program is designed to encourage all 9th-12th grade CHHS students to serve their community by performing at least 100 hours of approved community service. Students meeting this requirement will be recognized as Community Service Ambassadors upon graduation, and will be eligible to purchase a special cord for their graduation robes.
NOTE: The program guidelines have recently changed. The full program guidelines for Community Service Ambassador Program, and service hour logs can be found on the CSAP Website. Highlighted below are the new program changes which are effective immediately:
- After 75 hours of service, Ambassadors are able to purchase a Letter Jacket and/or patch. Purchase is at the student’s discretion and may be made through Balfour.
- After 100 hours of service, the program is COMPLETE and an Ambassador earns their cord for graduation. Information about purchasing a cord for graduation will be sent to all students during their senior year.
- Students who have completed 100 hours in the program will no longer need to submit service hour reporting forms, but are strongly encouraged to maintain a personal record of all volunteer hours as this information may be needed for college and scholarship applications.
- Only 10 hours will be counted for any CHHS club, CHHS Booster Club, Sport, PTSA event, CHHS class or CHHS teacher each year. This includes activities which may or may not be held on campus, such as off campus fundraising. This is not an exhaustive list – any activity or fundraising done for any CHHS group is under the 10-hour cap.
- No CSAP senior scholarships will be awarded beginning this school year (2019-2020).
Class of 2020: firstname.lastname@example.org
Liaison - Terrye Byrd - 817-846-7384
Class of 2021: email@example.com
Liaison - Zahra Halai - 817-487-0047
Class of 2022: firstname.lastname@example.org
Liaison - Debra Hurley - 817-228-8131
Class of 2023: email@example.com
Liaison - Tracy Cutrona - 214-707-6123
Place service hour logs in the red CSAP box in the counseling office. MAKE A COPY OF YOUR SERVICE HOUR LOG FOR YOUR RECORDS PRIOR SUBMITTING. For information on current volunteer opportunities check out this Google Doc.