Gay Rights/ Marriage
By: Elizabeth Fabiano
Outside of America
All around the world each year more countrys are legalizing gay Mariage.
- 1970 the fight for same- sex marriage outraged
- 2001 Netherlands was the first country to legalize gay marriage
- 2005- Belgium, Canada, Spain
- 2009- Sweden, parts of Mexico
- 2010- Argentina, Iceland, Norway, Portugal, south Africa
- 2015- Brazil, Denmark, France, Greenland etc.
- Jack Baker and James McConnell applied for a marriage license but was denied. After it was denied they tried to sue the supreme court.
- in 1961 workers in Stonewall inn (gay bar) rioted after the police raided the bar
- People would not let gay people give blood because they thought they had disease
- some ban because of cultural or religious reasons
- supporters believed it was violating the Fourteenth Amendment " equal protections of the law
The Gay Rights Movement
In the US
- President Obama was the first president to support gay marriage
- Vermont was the first state to support same-sex marriage
- Some countries and American states allowed same sex couples to enter domestic partnerships
- marriage was first up to the states
- Polls show that younger Americans are more supportive to gay rights
- 1996 poll- only 20 percent supported it
- Ban on gay marriage-considered unconstitutional by supporters
2012- Massachusetts, Connecticut, Iowa, Vermont, New Hampshire, and New York
Eventually on June 15th 2015 Gay marriage was legalized in all of America.