Chattahoochee Counseling Connection
The purpose of Chattahoochee Counseling Connection newsletter is to highlight social emotional learning practices for students, teachers, and parents. In this week's issue, we are shining our spotlight on SUMMER. We've included some local activities for you and your children as you embark on your summer. After an unprecedented year, we could all use a little bit of fun and relaxation!
SCHOOL IS OUT FOR THE SUMMER!
1) Visit our new library in Downtown Duluth! (Please read below.)
2) Play at one or more of our awesome parks and playgrounds, such as Bunten Road Park Activity Center, McDaniel Farm Playground and walking trails, and Chattapoochee Dog Park.
3) Splash around at the West Gwinnett Park Aquatic Center, which has a zero-depth entry pool with play structures and spray bars along with two giant waterslides and a lazy river.
4) Catch up with friends at Fridays-N-Duluth, where food trucks take over Downtown Duluth and live entertainment provides the perfect ambience.
5) Examine and explore real locomotives at Georgia's official transportation history museum, Southeastern Railway Museum.
For more happenings in Duluth, please visit https://www.duluthga.net/index.php.
The new Gwinnett County Public Library (GCPL) branch in Duluth is opening on Wednesday, MAY 26, 2021, just in time for summer.
We recently had a behind-the-scenes tour and it is AMAZING!
The new branch has 22,000 square feet of space, which allows the library to expand its programs and services to the Duluth community.
The new building has bigger areas where library staff will provide computer services, interactive programming and services, and creative projects. It has a large community room, two learning labs, dedicated teen space, multiple study rooms, and additional features. There are incredible viewpoints to watch the trains pass by.
The new branch also provides GCPL’s expanded service for adults 18 and older, called Open Access. Open Access allows customers to use the library after hours, from 8 to 10 a.m., and from 8 to 10 p.m. every day.
The Gwinnett County Public Library’s new Duluth branch is located at 3180 Main Street in downtown Duluth across from City Hall.
Reading Recommendations for Children
And Then Comes Summer
Written by Tom Brenner and illustrated by Jaime Kim
The Night Before Summer Vacation
Written by Natasha Wing and illustrated by Julie Durrell
Last Day Blues
Written by Julie Danneberg and illustrated by Judy Love
"How to Talk to Kids About Anything" with host Dr. Robyn Silverman
"NewsKidz" is a weekly podcast covering global news and current events hosted by a group of elementary-aged children.