Our Countrys Blooody Battles
Hallie Marrs 4th Period 12-8-14
- The Battle of Palmito Ranch was the last battle of the civil war.
- January 1st 1863 Battle of Galveston, confederates gain control of city.
- Battle of Sabine pass. A small unit led by Lt. Dick Dowling repulses federal force under General William B. Franklin.
- There were 3 significant battles in Texas, Battle of Galveston, Battle of Palmtop Ranch, and Battle of Sabine pass.
- both armies honored an informal truce agreement negotiated about months earlier between Union Gen. Lew Wallace an confederate commanders Gen. John E. Slaughter and Colonel Rip Ford before the Battle of Palmito Ranch.
- The Battle of Galveston was the naval battle during the civil war to occur offshore in the gulf of Mexico.
- The Battle of Sabine pass the Union outnumbered the confederate forces with the USS Clifton and the USS Sachem.
- The Battle of Palmito Ranch was fought along the Rio Grande.
I Think the article was interesting. I learned stuff I didn't know about the battles in the civil war. The article is very useful for projects. It tells you lots of facts about the civil war. I enjoyed reading this article alot.
- Why did battles occur?-They occur because no one would win the war. There would be no fighting.
- How did battles affect the present?-They affected the present because the North won the war and now the is no slavery.
- Why did the battles affect construction in Texas?- It was expensive to rebuild.