Delran High School Broadcast
September 5, 2019
A Message from Mr. Finkle!
Welcome to the 2019-2020 school year! On behalf of the administration, faculty, and staff, we would like to officially welcome the Class of 2023 and their families to our DHS family!
I have moved into the 21st Century and along with my Twitter account, I have also begun an Instagram account. My SN is DelranHS_Princ. I guess I can delete the Myspace bookmark on my computer! #dhsrespect
You are cordially invited to attend our annual Back-to-School Night tonight at 6:45 pm. We will begin the evening in the Performing Arts Center with a brief welcome followed by walking your child's schedule and meeting your child's teachers in their classrooms. We request that you print out your child's schedule using the Parent Portal. We look forward to seeing you later this evening!
Our main office has been renovated to accommodate a new entrance, which we expect completion of shortly. See pictures below. Please be aware that this entrance will be the only point of entry after 7:30 am every day. In addition, the only doors that will be open in the morning are the bus lane doors, the "front doors" to the lobby by the car lane, as well as the gym entrance door. Dropping off on the Board of Education office side of the building is not allowed at any time since there are no doors to access for students.
We have increased the number of visitor parking spaces outside the new entrance; therefore, we ask that no parent or student park in the regular lot nor idle their car in the drop-off lane at any time. We appreciate your attention to this.
Security upgrades also include enhanced camera surveillance and an external app-based notification system. We are working very hard to keep your children and the staff safe while they are here at DHS.
Homecoming 2019 is quickly approaching. A popular social media website indicated there are rumors regarding this long-standing tradition that require a response. The decision to place Homecoming on a weekend where there is no football game was a difficult decision to make; however, the only one that could be made. The football team has only two home football games. The first game falls on a weekend where the SATs are being given and I will not allow students and families to choose between homecoming activities and the SATs because of its importance in the college admission process.
The second game falls on Saturday, October 26th. One of our float building sites is at the boathouse. The boats that are housed there must be out of the water by October 15th. They are doing us a great favor by allowing us to continue to use the space until October 19th, past their usual deadline. Please understand that every decision is made with the students and their experience at the forefront of the process.
It has come to my attention that people believe that there will be no winner of Homecoming 2019. That could not be further from the truth; however, the competition has grown over the past few years to a point where some students have lost sight of the big picture. Some of the float sites have had issues with student behavior in terms of violations of the HIB policy which we find unacceptable. In the end, we are all Delran Bears and the lack of respect shown over the past few years has disheartened many students, the staff, and the administration. As I have stated on many occasions, Bears respect themselves, others, and the environment. Any breach of this rule devalues the event and turns what should be a wonderful tradition into one that is hurtful for some.
I have met with the class advisors, the PTA, and the students to discuss our concerns and to find a middle ground where competition exists but not at the expense of hurting our students. We have tweaked the scoring and the organizational structure at the sites. It is our goal to grow leaders by having students be the point people and "run the show" with support from the parent volunteers. We have set up a structure that can be changed in the years to come; however, the students must show ownership of this event.
This event could not happen without the parents and I thank them from the bottom of my heart. This event is burned into the memories of the students forever and without the hours and hours put in by the parents, none of this could be possible. However, it should not be the parents' responsibility to referee disputes between students nor discipline students who are rowdy or not being of service to the class. We have provided more security at the sites with our KD security team and have increased the DHS adult presence as well.
We wish for the students to have an amazing experience; however, it is incumbent upon us to ensure that they are safe both physically and emotionally. Any questions concerning homecoming should be addressed to me directly in order to have a most expeditious explanation and resolution (if required) and I will be more than willing to speak with anyone at any time.
Family ID - Mandatory
For those who have not completed FamilyID, it is imperative that it be completed in order for your child to be "in good standing". If it is not completed, your child will not have the privileges offered to all Delran High School students. HERE is a link to the registration page. Please remember that if you already used FamilyID for fall sports, that IS NOT the registration page. You must go back in and register your child again for the new school year. Instructions are posted below.
Listed below are very important dates and information for parents and students:
- Dr. Brotschul's letter regarding voluntary student accident insurance and Accident Insurance Protection information.
- Parents/Guardians of Seniors: Please click here to complete a mandatory 2020 Diploma Order Form.
- If you have changed any contacts or phone numbers, it is extremely important that you also sign-in to the Parent Portal so that the information can be updated in our student information system as well.
- School pictures will be taken tomorrow for underclassmen and freshmen who were unable to attend orientation.
- If your child has any outstanding fines(obligations) or has not completed his/her community service requirement from last year (SENIORS), he/she will be ineligible to participate in co-curricular activities including athletics. Please contact the main office to clear up any obligations. Please contact Mr. Stolarick to speak with him concerning community service hours.
- Parents of incoming Juniors, please familiarize yourself with the Community Service requirement. This link will give you both an overview and specifics of the program. All Juniors must complete 15 hours of community service. Summer is a perfect opportunity to get started or complete your requirement.
- Click Here for information regarding the Indoor Air Quality Plan for the 2019-2020 School Year.
- Click Here for information regarding the Annual Pest Management Notice for Delran High School 2019-2020 School Year.
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or (856) 461-6100 x3005.
Welcome New Faculty & Staff Members!
We are pleased to announce new members to our DHS Bear Family:
- Emma First - Spanish Teacher
- Karen Kline - Special Education Teacher joins us from DIS
- Aleksandra Mijic Kukavica - French Teacher
- Amy Sepesi - Language Arts Teacher
- Catherine Traitz - Health & Physical Education Teacher
- Ibis Deniken - World Language Teacher
- Jennifer Jue Mattle joins us in the World Language Department from DMS
- Dana Obst joins us in the Language Arts Department from DMS
- Suzanne Sedarat joins us in the Child Study Team from DMS
- Maureen Flanagan - Attendance Clerk
- Dinka Brkic - Instructional Assistant joins us from DIS
FamilyID - Mandatory Registration for ALL Students!
Please log into your family account and complete the registration for the 2019-2020 school year. Your information is saved from last year; however, you must agree to the handbook and other policies each year. Also, please update any personal contact information and emergency contacts.
FamilyID is also being employed for all Athletic registrations, parking permits, and Senior Diploma Forms. It will also may be utilized during the school as well.
For those of you who do not have an account and are new to Delran High School, please follow the directions below.
A parent/guardian should register by clicking on this link!
Follow these steps:
- To find your program, click on the link provided above and select the registration form under the word Programs.
- Next click on the green Register Now button and scroll, if necessary, to the Create Account/Log In green buttons. If this is your first time using FamilyID, click Create Account. Click Log In, if you already have a FamilyID account.
- Create your secure FamilyID account by entering the account owner First and Last names (parent/guardian), E-mail address and password. Select I Agree to the FamilyID Terms of Service. Click Create Account.
- You will receive an email with a link to activate your new account. (If you don’t see the email, check your E-mail filters, spam, junk, etc.)
- Click on the link in your activation E-mail, which will log you into FamilyID.com
- Once in the registration form, complete the information requested. All fields with a red* are required to have an answer.
- Click the Save & Continue button when your form is complete.
- Review your registration summary.
- Click the green Submit button. After selecting "Submit", the registration will be complete. You will receive a completion email from FamilyID confirming your registration.
At any time, you may login at www.familyid.com to update your information and to check your registration(s).
To view a completed registration, select the "Registration" tab on the blue bar.
- If you need assistance with registration, contact FamilyID at: email@example.com or 888-800-5583 x1.
- Support is available 7 days per week and messages will be returned promptly.
DHS Calendar of Events
- 9/5 Back-to-School Night, 6:45 pm
- 9/5 Senior Trip Meeting, 6pm
- 9/5 Qtr. 1 Begins
- 9/6 Underclassmen Pictures
- 9/13 Delran Reads
- 9/14 ACT
- 9/17 PTA Meeting, 7pm
- 9/20 Activity 2
- 9/20 Freshman Elections
- 9/20 Senior Group Picture, Gym
- 9/21 Detention
- 9/23 Senior Picture Make-ups
- 9/23 BOE Mtg., DHS Cafeteria, 7:30 pm
- 9/24 Senior Picture Make-ups
- 9/24 Delran's Got Talent Auditions
- 9/27 School Closed - Staff In-service
- View Full Calendar
STOPit - Online Reporting Tool
We are excited to inform you that our school has enrolled with STOPit!
STOPit is an online reporting tool designed to deter and mitigate bullying, cyber abuse, and other inappropriate behaviors, consisting of an app and a back-end incident management system for school administrators.
Our students will have access to the STOPit mobile app, which has two simple but powerful features.
Report can be used by students to report incidents to school contacts anonymously.
Messenger can be used to engage in anonymous two-way communication with school contacts.
Both Report and Messenger empower students to stand up for themselves and for one another. Students have the power to help put an end to harmful and inappropriate behavior they see online through social media and other means. They can use STOPit to reach out for help if they or a peer are facing a personal crisis or experiencing bullying, abuse, or are otherwise in need of assistance. Our goal with STOPit is to create safer, kinder, school communities both online and off.
No student information is needed to use STOPit. The only way personally identifiable information will be accessible through STOPit is if a student voluntarily includes it within the content of a report or message.
Please note that we will be launching STOPit with a School Assembly tomorrow for Juniors and Seniors and on Monday for Freshmen and Sophomores. At that time, your child will be invited to download the STOPit app from the app store on his or her smartphone at no charge.
More information and resources can be found online at stopitsolutions.com.
DELRAN READS & SUMMER ASSIGNMENTS!
Math Summer Assignments can be found HERE.
All other Summer Assignments can be found HERE.
College Acceleration Program (CAP) Course(s)
A friendly Reminder: Students who wish to register for a College Acceleration Program (CAP) course for the Fall 2019 term, must complete the online registration process prior to the end of September 2019. No refunds are available after the end of the registration periods. Please contact CAP Coordinator, Dr. Jones and/or Guidance Secretary, Mrs. Newman if you have any questions or concerns.
Student Parking Passes
Delran Education Foundation Volunteers Needed
The Delran Education Foundation is run entirely through the volunteer efforts of members of the Delran community. There are opportunities for interested individuals to help staff a fundraising event, to help plan an event, to solicit sponsorship from local businesses, to serve on one of our committees, or to serve on the Board of Trustees. The Foundation welcomes the support of anyone willing to contribute his or her time, even if the individual doesn’t have much time to give. Join Us. If you are willing to volunteer some of your time to support Delran’s students, please complete this form. Someone will be in touch with you soon, and we’ll work together to determine how you can help. Any questions can be directed to Kris Scanlon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All students 10th -12th have an account.
Naviance is a web-based tool that allows your student to explore their values, personality, strengths and correlate them to career clusters. It directs them to colleges with suggested majors so that they can build a list of colleges to explore.
Seniors and Juniors can see upcoming college visitations and request to attend directly in Naviance.
All students should be building their personal activity resume.
Ask your student to share with you what they are doing in Naviance.
Is your senior ready to send out college applications this fall? Click here to review what to do this summer to prepare for college admissions.
Students at all grade levels are encouraged to begin exploring colleges. Build colleges of interest in Naviance and plan campus visitations.
Our College Planning Part 1 and SAT/ACT Information Night is scheduled for October 22, 2019 at 6:30 pm in the Media Center.
Throughout the school year scholarships are posted on the Guidance webpage, listed in Naviance, search engines are in Collegeboard.org, and Fast-web.com.
Click here for currently available scholarships.
Class of 2020 Headquarters
Senior Calendar of Events
- 9/5 Senior Trip Mtg., 6pm
- 9/20 Senior Group Picture - Gym
- 2/12 Cap & Gown Measurements, 6pm
- 2/12 Senior Trip Parent Mtg., 7pm
- 3/9 Senior Trip Luggage Check, 6-7pm
- 3/10-3/14 Senior Trip
- 3/20 Senior Big Picture Outdoors
- 5/6 Mr. Delran Contest, 6:30pm
- 5/7 Academic Awards Evening, 6:30pm
- 5/29 Junior/Senior Prom
- 6/2 Senior Night, 6pm
- 6/4 Scholarship Night, 6:30pm
- 6/18 Graduation Rehearsal, 12pm
- 6/19 Graduation Rehearsal, 9am
- 6/19 Graduation, 7pm
- 6/19 Project Graduation, 9:30pm
Alumni Walk Information
DELRAN HIGH SCHOOL NITTY GRITTIES
Stay informed with Mr. Finkle's previous Broadcasts!
Join the PTA
We are encouraging every parent to join the PTA! Membership only costs $5.00 and the money supports your children! Complete the form and send it to the Main Office with your student!
PTA Email List
Sign up for the PTA EMAIL LIST! Stay informed of all the happenings with your student’s class! A reminder that each class has a different email representative and the same information is not being passed on! Sign up for any or all students at DMS or DHS! Complete the form and send it to the Main Office with your student!