Dempsey School Counselors
Volume 1, Issue 6: January 2014
2014: A Fresh Start
- Get organized: Clean out binders and lockers. A clean work space at home makes homework run smoother.
- Go to bed early: Research tells us that it is difficult for teenagers to get up in the morning; an early night to bed can help your student to have more energy for the school day.
- Utilize Extended Day: Extended Day is an opportunity for students to stay after school to get extra help. Monday through Thursday, Extended Day goes until 4:30, although students can leave earlier with parent permission. Busing is available at 4:40 with drop-off locations at local elementary schools and the Silver Maple area.
- Encourage your child to join a sport or club: Involvement in activities helps kids to feel more attached and increases self-esteem. Parents can join the Parent/Teacher Organization (PTO) to work together with Dempsey staff!
- Reach out to the school: Keep in contact with your student's teachers and school counselor. Ask questions. Attend parent/teacher conferences in February.
- Keep on top of your student's grades by checking PowerSchool.
High School Scheduling
Important scheduling dates:
- January 27: Hayes counselors at Dempsey during Advisory periods
- January 29: Eighth graders receive scheduling materials during lunch. Parent/student meeting at Hayes at 6:00pm in the auditorium, to be followed by a Curriculum Fair at 7:00pm.
- February 14: Course selection sheets due to Ms. Ziegler. Students are to enter course requests in to PowerSchool by this date.
- February 20 & 21: Hayes counselors at Dempsey to meet individually with students during History classes to review course selections.
Ms. Ziegler is available to help parents and students with all aspects of the scheduling process. High school scheduling can feel overwhelming so please do not hesitate to call or email. Students can ask for help by filling out a blue pass in the office or finding Ms. Ziegler in the Commons during lunches where she will be stationed leading up to the February 14 deadline to answer scheduling questions. Transitioning to high school can also make many students feel anxious. This is a normal reaction to an unknown and something that Ms. Ziegler can assist with.
To sign up for reminders for scheduling deadlines from Remind101, please:
- text: @hsschedule to (832)304-2518 or
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Remind101 is a one-way text message and email system. All personal information remains confidential. Visit remind101.com for more information on this safe messaging program.
Upcoming Important Dates & Info
- February 4: 3:45-7:15pm
- February 13: 3:45-7:15pm
National School Counseling Week: celebrate school counselors all week long!
- February 3-7
7th to 8th Grade Scheduling: 7th grade parents should watch their mail for a letter from Mrs. Nicely later this winter concerning the process of scheduling students for 8th grade.