PH & SB News!
South Bay District News for the week of Oct. 31st
NO SCHOOL MON 10/31 & TUES 11/1
All of us at Pine Hill/South Bay wish everyone a fun and safe Halloween. For Halloween safety tips visit the Safe Kids Worldwide website and check out the infographic below. Have a spooktacular Halloween!
PTSA Meeting- Mon. 11/7
Importance of Attendance
Students who attend school regularly have been shown to achieve at higher levels than students who do not have regular attendance. This relationship between attendance and achievement may appear early in a child's school career. A recent study looking at young children found that absenteeism in kindergarten was associated with negative first grade outcomes such as greater absenteeism in subsequent years and lower achievement in reading, math, and general knowledge.
You cannot make up for too many absences with homework or take-home assignments. Each day your child is not in school is a missed opportunity to learn something they will need in order to understand more difficult material later. It may be difficult to picture now, but kids who miss too many days in elementary school are more likely to continue missing days in middle and high school. This puts them at greater risk of dropping out. If you allow them to be absent too many times now they can form poor habits which could be harmful to their future success.
Some absences are unavoidable, but too many will make your child fall behind and they might not be able to catch up. Save absences for when it is absolutely necessary and do everything you can to ensure they do not miss school. Thank you!
Site Council/Charter Council
- provide an open forum for discussing educational issues
- provide an opportunity for interaction by parents, teachers, and administrators
- foster the importance of decision-making at the site level
- contribute to each site's Plan for Student Achievement
- assist in defining educational needs and problems
If being a part of our school's site councils intrigues you, please reach out to Heather Becksted at South Bay. Your interest in this important school team is greatly appreciated!
Menus will be covered in two-week sections, due to supply chain issues. The kitchen wants to ensure that we can provide the meals on our menu, so planning for shorter periods is necessary. Neither South Bay nor Pine Hill provide microwaves for students to use in the cafeteria, so please pack ready-to-eat meals.
**Remember school breakfast & lunch is free for ALL students, regardless of home income. **
Family Resource Center
Get familiar with what the FRC has to offer! Stop by or call us at 707-445-5933.
- Parent Support Group is happening every Friday from 8:30-9:30 in the Pine Hill FRC. Stop by for coffee and good talks.
- First Five sponsored Playgroup is every Tuesday, from 9:30-11:30 in the Pine Hill FRC. All kids 0-5 and caregivers are welcome.
- If you are signed up for Friday Food Bags, they started October 7. We have a few slots left!
- Check out our clothing closet at both sites. Call to set up an appointment to get some free stuff!
- We are open for drop-ins at Pine Hill in the FRC and at South Bay in Room 17 Mon-Fri 8:00-4:00.