September 1, 2023
DeKeyer Elementary Information
Welcome to DeKeyser ~ Home of the DeKeyser Dolphins
Principal: Mrs. Shannon Hathcock
Administrative Assistant: Mrs. Lisa Russo
Clerk: Mrs. Heather Mansour
Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
School Hours: 9:00 AM - 3:50 PM (full days) and 9:00 AM -12:04 PM (half days)
Breakfast - Door #2 opens at 8:40
Student Arrival - All students can enter their classroom at 8:50 am
Sterling Heights, MI 48313
Office Phone Number: (586)797-4400
24 Hr Attendance Line (586)797-4499
DeKeyser Email: officedekeyser @uticak12.org
1st Grade Team
Mrs. Asni (Miss Rozwadowski)
2nd Grade Team
3rd Grade Team
Miss Hoffman (Student Teacher)
4th Grade Team
Miss Stumpf (Student Teacher - Not Pictured)
5th Grade Team
Photo Coming Soon
6th Grade Team
Special Education Team
Mrs. Riley (Not Pictured)
What an amazing 1st week!
WOW!! What a fantastic first week of the 2023-2024 school year! From an amazing first day to smooth arrival and dismissals, our community continues to work together to support each other for the good of our students! Thank you, thank you, thank you for trusting us with your child, for working through establishing the routines and procedures of arrival/entering the building, exiting/dismissal, pick up, breakfast, lunchtime, recess, and more!!! If you ever have any questions, please feel welcome to call our office staff at 586-797-4400 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I would like to wish everyone a wonderful Labor Day weekend. I hope you are able to enjoy the long weekend with your friends and family. See everyone on Tuesday.
Have an awesome weekend!
September VIP Parking
Fri., Sept. 1:
- No School
Mon., Sept. 4:
- No School Labor Day
Tue., Sept. 5:
- Welcome Back!
- Return you Summer Challenge Books!
- 3-to-Be Stations
- Lego Robotics 6:30 - 8:30 (Gym)
- Return you Summer Challenge Books!
- 3-to-Be Stations
Thur., Sept. 7:
- Return you Summer Challenge Books!
- DeKeyser Annual Title I Parent Meeting - 5:45 (FREE BOOKS to all who attend!)
- DeKeyser Open House /Curriculum Night - 6:30 PM
Fri., Sept. 8:
- Last day to purchase device insurance
- Grade Level T-Shirt Order Due
- Summer Challenge Award Day
Upcoming September Events
Sun., Sept. 10:
- Happy Grandparent's Day!
Mon., Sept. 11:
Tue., Sept. 12:
- PTCG Meeting 6pm
- Lego Robotics 6:30 – 8:30 (Gym)
Wed., Sept. 13:
- Cub Scout Info during lunch
- Restaurant Night - Fuddruckers 11am - 9pm
Thur., Sept. 14:
- Cub Scout Sign Up After School 6:00 - 8:00 (Gym)
- Constitution Day
Happy Birthday Mrs. Carlson (5th Grade)
Happy Birthday Megan Staniek! (Lunch Supervisor)
Sat., Sept. 16:
- Happy Birthday Aleece Tousignant (Kindergarten)
Mon., Sept. 18:
- Board of Education Meeting
Tue., Sept. 19:
- Lego Robotics 6:30 – 8:30 (Gym)
Wed., Sept. 20:
- No School - Teacher Professional Development Day
6:00 – 7:00 - P.A.M. – “A Day in the Life of a Preschooler”
- Peace Day
Fri., Sept. 22:
- 3:55 – 4:55 - Young Rembrandts
Sat., Sept. 23:
- Autumn Begins
- 3:55 – 4:55 - Soccer
Tue., Sept. 26:
- Johnny Appleseeds B-Day
- Lego Robotics 6:30 – 8:30 (Gym)
Wed., Sept. 27:
Thur., Sept. 28:
Fri., Sept. 29:
- 3-to-Be Assembly – (Award: 3-to-Be / Teach: Respect)
- 1/2 Way Through 1st Quarter
- 3:55 – 4:55 - Young Rembrandts
ARRIVAL AND DISMISSAL TIMES
Annual Title I Parent Meeting
Open House / Curriculum Night
I look forward to seeing everyone this Thursday, September 7th at 5:45 for our Annual Title I Parent Meeting with our Open House immediately following at 6:30. During our parent meeting we will learn how DeKeyser receives funds to support your children. We will also be giving away books and informational bookmark to each family who attends!
Our Open House presentation will begin in the gym. This is such an exciting year of change! I can't wait to share my excitement with you about the upcoming year. We will have several district representatives who will be attending our event to share their commitment and support for the amazing things happening in our district and at DeKeyser! You won't want to miss the introduction of our amazing staff. We have so many new members for you to meet! We also will introduce you to our spectacular Parent Group who goes about and beyond for the students and families of DeKeyser each and every day!
I can't wait to see everyone on Thursday, September 7th!
Technology Device Insurance
FINAL DATE TO ENROLL: FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 8, 2023
Please find the device plan insurance information on our UCS website. The cost of device insurance is $17.50 per student. The Payschools website has changed to Payschools Central. In order to purchase the device insurance parents will need their child(ren) student ID number (which can be found on the report card) and create a NEW Payschools Central account. The directions for creating an account can be found at: https://www.uticak12.org/domain/85
IF you need any assistance with Payschools, you call call our office at 586-797-4400 OR you can come in and we will assist you. We have two computers that we can use to help you set up your account.
Grade Level T-Shirt Order
Grade Level T-Shirt - Orders Due Thursday, Sept. 8th
Order your grade level T-Shirt by September 8th in order to get it quickly to be able to wear it throughout the entire year. Please fill out the form and send it back to school with cash or check made out to DeKeyser Elementary for $10. We will be wearing our grade level shirts throughout the year for many different spirit days and events. The color of your child's grade level this year will follow them throughout their years at DeKeyser. For example... Kindergarten students will order RED, You may want to order the shirt a little bigger than normal so they can wear their shirt for the next several years.
Kindergarten = Teal
1st Grade = Red
2nd Grade = Orange
3rd Grade = Yellow
4th Grade =Royal Blue
5th Grade = Green
6th Grade =Light Blue
The teachers and staff at DeKeyser strongly support and encourage the recognition of a child’s birthday during the school day. It is an annual milestone in every child’s life that should be celebrated not just at home, but in school as well, where children spend one-third of their day with teachers, classmates, and peers. While there are many wonderful and creative ways to celebrate a child’s birthday in school, birthday celebrations at DeKeyser will not include food treats. Instead, the focus at DeKeyser will be recognizing the day in a variety of special ways that do not include food treats. Some possibilities include:
· Class sings “Happy Birthday”
· Happy Birthday Recess/Gift
· Morning “Happy Birthday” PA announcement
· Parent makes a donation of book to class library/read to class
· Student reads favorite book to class
· Parent/special someone reads story to class
Your child’s teacher will have more information on how birthdays will be celebrated in the classroom. As educators, caregivers and loved ones we all want the best for our students. Thank you for joining us in giving students healthy opportunities to celebrate important events and achievements.
Too Sick To Come To School?
Take A Peek At These Health Department Guidelines
When is your child too sick to attend school? The following guidelines, along with the advice of your family doctor, will help you decide when your child should stay home:
• Cold and/or cough – a child with deep mucus that causes a cough and heavy nose drainage cannot function at school.
• Fever – fever is a warning that something is wrong. A child should remain at home for 24 hours after the fever is gone without the use of medication.
• Rash – a rash, spots or blotches on the skin can be the first sign of many illnesses. Rashes require a physician’s release stating they are not contagious.
• Stomachache/Upset – a child who is vomiting or has diarrhea should be kept at home and may return 24 hours after the symptoms are gone.
• Head Lice – a child with head lice must remain at home until treatment is complete and school officials confirm he or she is free of lice. Check your child’s head before school begins in the fall and routinely during the school year or if he or she complains of an itchy scalp. Look around your child’s ears and back of the neck for nits, which are tiny, 8 white, oval-shaped lice eggs that are attached to the hair near the scalp. Nits may look like dandruff or scalp flakes, but nits do not move and are difficult to dislodge. Notify the school office immediately if your child has head lice. Begin treatment immediately by contacting your doctor or purchasing over the counter medication from the drug store. To prevent spreading head lice, wash all infested garments, hair accessories, bedding and other surfaces with hot water and disinfectant. You must sign your child in at the office when he or she is returning to school after treatment for head lice.
Policy On Personal Items
Any cell phones must be turned off and out of view during school hours or while on the bus.
Students should NOT bring toys, game boys, Nintendo DS or any hand-held electronic games, CD players, MP3 or IPods, PDA’s, memorabilia, special cards or other collectible or expensive items to school.
DeKeyser Elementary School is not responsible for personal items that are lost or damaged.
Such items will be collected and kept in the office. A parent must come and retrieve any items they wish to have returned.
Utica Community Schools has a no pet policy on school property.
Students will have the opportunity to go outside with their classmates during designated times throughout the day. Recess helps to promote social and emotional learning and development for all children. Allowing time for our students to engage in peer interactions allows them to role play essential social skills. Recess also benefits our students by increasing their level of physical activity improving their memory, attention, and concentration. Each class will have a recess attached to the lunch program. We go outside whenever possible and stay inside if it is raining or the temperatures are below 10 degrees Fahrenheit. Students will have an optional second recess each day with their classroom teacher. Please have children dress for the weather.
Reminders - Important Information
- Please press the buzzer to speak with someone in the office
- You will be asked to state your name and reason for visiting
- You will be asked to show your photo id into the security camera above the outside door
- Office staff will assist you
In addition, we are asking you to not let any visitors in the door as you enter (as they come up behind you) or as you exit the building.
The teachers and staff are committed to student safety and security, and we would like to thank you for your assistance in helping keep the students of DeKeyser safe.
School officially begins at 9:00 am on Tuesday, August 29th. Outside supervision of all students will start at 8:50 am. Please DO NOT drop your child off at school prior to 8:50 am because there will be no outside supervision.
As a reminder, due to our security protocols, parents WILL NOT be allowed in the classrooms.
Breakfast: If your child would like breakfast, they will enter the front of the building at Door #2. The door for breakfast will open at 8:40 am. Staff will be in the gym to help all students with breakfast. Parents will not be permitted in the building. Students will remain in the gym until they can be released to their classroom at 8:50. Students will be permitted to eat breakfast in the gym from 8:40 - 9:00 daily. Students will travel to their classroom at end of breakfast through the inside of the building.
- Bus Drop Off: Busses will park along the sidewalk and stop just before the DeKeyser school sign. Busses will park close together. There will be NO CROSSING between busses at any time. I am asking that all families cross at designated cross walk locations. Staff will be outside to help with this process. Look for signs the first week of school.
- Parent Quick Drop: This will be for parents who wish to drive up and drop their child off without parking. Your child must be ready to quickly get out of the car on the RIGHT side and walk on the sidewalk to their class. No child will be allowed to exit the car on the left side closest to the parking lot. This drop off will be in front of the busses along the sidewalk next to the cross walk. Please look for the signage during the first week of school. Parents wishing to do a quick drop should drive slowly on the left side of the busses and pull up along the front on the building. Look for the signs to help you with this location.
- Parent Parking: Parents who wish to walk their child to class in the morning must park and cross at designated cross walks. DeKeyser Staff will be at all cross walks to stop traffic for a safe crossing. PLEASE wait for the staff member to cross you. Do not bypass the line and cross on your own. We promise that we will get you across the street SAFELY and QUICKLY. Our 2 crosswalks will be near the front of the building. Look for the signs during the first week of school. *All parent parking will be in the front of the building. Staff will park in the back of the building. The staff parking lot will be roped and coned off for the safety of all students. IF there are no available spots to park, you will need to make another trip around the parking lot until a spot becomes available. PLEASE do NOT create a spot or block another parking spot to accommodate your needs. Remember that the first week of school will be busy. I hope that everyone can be patient with the process. My number one goal is to keep everyone safe!
We currently have 4 DeKeyser busses. They will park in the same designated space as morning drop off. Students will enter the bus from the gym or door number 2. Once all students have been dismissed from the building and all students are seated on the bus, traffic will be stopped, and the busses will be released to leave. PLEASE allow the busses to get out quickly. Do not cross in front of a bus. Thank you!
Parent Quick Pick Up:
This will be a little trickier in the afternoon. Remember that the first week of school will be VERY BUSY. PLEASE be patient with the process until the system becomes known by all. All students who are being picked up by their parent will be asked to come to the front of the sidewalk by the DeKeyser sign and the big bushes. They will stand in a line and wait for their parent to pull up. DeKeyser staff will be there to help announce student names to quickly get into your car on the RIGHT SIDE ONLY. Parents should stay in their car at all times. Students will NEVER be allowed to walk around the car for their safety. Always pull to the front of this space to accommodate multiple cars. If your child is not ready to be picked up, you may be asked to do another loop around the lot to help get other students out.
If you wish to stand outside of your child's classroom, you will park your car in the FRONT lot. Please cross at the designated spots after school when you are walking on and off the property. Once again, if there is not an available spot, be patient and make another loop. Do not create a space or block another car. Teachers will always stay with your child until they are picked up. If you are late, students will be sent to the office. You will want to make sure that you are parked and on the school property by 3:40. Students will be dismissed at 3:50.
Late Pick Up:
If you are running late, you must call the office at 586-797-4400 and let them know. You can also let your child's teacher know through their designated messaging preference. You will learn about this the first week of school.
Breakfast will be served in the gym from 8:40 - 9:00 AM. If your child would like to eat breakfast, they must enter at the front of the building through door #2. Students will give their name to the cashier and then select their breakfast. Students will sit at a cafeteria table and remain in the gym until the bell rings at 9:00. Students will clean up their area and walk to class through the inside of the building. Breakfast and lunch are FREE to ALL STUDENTS this year. PLEASE don't forget to fill out the Educational Benefits form to help DeKeyser with our educational funding.
Teachers will take count daily of the students in the following areas:
- Who is ordering breakfast for the next school day
- Who is buying lunch for the current school day
- Who is ordering lunch for the next school day
Students will have the opportunity to go outside with their classmates during designated times throughout the day. Recess helps to promote social and emotional learning and development for all children. Allowing time for our students to engage in peer interactions allows them to role play essential social skills. Recess also benefits our students by increasing their level of physical activity improving their memory, attention, and concentration. Each class will have a recess attached to their lunch time. We go outside whenever possible and stay inside if it is raining or the temperature is below 10 degrees Fahrenheit. Students will have an optional second recess each day with their classroom teacher. Please have children dress for the weather.
Interested in being a volunteer?
If you are interested in volunteering for the 2023-2024 school year (field trips, classroom helpers, copy moms, book fair events, holiday shop, field day, and more!) each adult must fill out a volunteer background check. I have attached the form below and it will be included in your child's 1st day of school paperwork. The form takes approximately 2-3 weeks to process, if you would like to check one thing off your "to do" list a little early, please feel free to email it to email@example.com.
Pay Schools 2023 - 2024
PaySchools has improved its platform this year to provide a system that is consistently more reliable and user-friendly. The end result for parents will be that the information they need will be personalized for their child.
As a result, families will be asked to recreate an account (even if you previously had a PaySchools account). Once created, you will be provided with those product choices that directly relate to your child.
Just follow these easy steps:
- Create an account from your computer or tablet at: www.payschoolscentral.com
- Complete the account registration by selecting register, entering your profile details, setting up your password via the email link that will be sent to you, then logging in.
- Add your children to your account using their student ID numbers. ID numbers are found on their report card available through PowerSchool.
- If you like, enter credit card and/or banking information as forms of payments to use with your PaySchools account.
- A complete guide (with screen shots) is available at this link.
Need help with your PaySchools Central account?
8:30 a.m. – 7:30 p.m. ET (M-F)
Education Benefits Form
Even though all meals are free, we need your help to continue many of our other educational benefits here at DeKeyser. Many of our programs including our Literacy Coach, additional curriculum resources, training and much more depend on all of our families filling this out. Please check out the information below and click on the link to fill your Education Benefits form today!
Update PowerSchool before school starts
Students with food allergies that wish to use school meals must have a Special Dietary Needs form (11A) completed and signed by a physician. Forms need to be turned in to the office of Food and Nutrition Service. Without this form we cannot make accommodations. This form must be updated every year to ensure accuracy. Since all schools have vegetarian options, parents do not need to complete a form for that option.
DeKeyser Spirit Wear
SCHOOL AGE CHILD CARE (SACC)
MEDICAL FORMS - 2023-2024
Medical Health Plans
Health plans should be completed for any condition that may involve special dietary considerations, activity levels, medications, or treatment of urgent problems. Completion of health plans allow our staff to take the best possible care of your child.
A physician signature is required on all health plans. Any medications that are to be distributed by school staff or used by students at school must have an Authorization for Medication completed and signed by a physician, including any over-the-counter medications.
Health Care Plans and Authorization for Medication forms are available at Resources and Forms - Utica Community Schools (uticak12.org) Two transportation forms are required for every student that rides the bus with a COLOR picture attached to each form. Depending on your child's diagnosis, the following forms are required by the school.
Food Allergies/Insect Allergies/Latex Allergies: FARE Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Emergency Care Plan, Michigan Department of Education Medical Statement to Request Special Meals and/or Accommodations, 2 Authorization for Medications (one for an anti-histamine and one for Epinephrine), 2 Transportation Forms (if your child is a bus rider)
MDE Dietary Accommodations: Required for Food Services for students with Food Allergies.
Asthma: Asthma Health Care Plan, Authorization for Medication for a rescue inhaler, 2 Transportation Forms (if your child is a bus rider)
Seizure: Seizure Health Care Plan, Authorization for Medication for rescue medications and/or other medications, 2 Transportation Forms (if your child is a bus rider)
Diabetes: Diabetes Health Care Plan, 2 Transportation Forms (if you child is a bus rider) and you must submit your Diabetes Medical Management Plan from your Endocrinologist
Heart Condition: Heart Condition Health Care Plan and 2 Transportation Forms (if your child is a bus rider)
Any other diagnosis: General Health Care Plan, Authorization for Medication (if needed), 2 Transportation Forms (if your child is a bus rider)
Please return all the necessary, completed and signed forms (dated after June 11th) to firstname.lastname@example.org (Forms should be returned PRIOR to August 29, 2023)
Your cooperation will help ensure a safe and healthy school year. Any questions can be directed to: Emily Duzey, BSN, RN Utica Community School’s District Nurse at:
ALLERGENS FORM - 2023-2024
1- You must fill out a physician signed MDE Special Needs Accommodation form and send it to the Food Service office. Without this we cannot make any accommodations. Please make sure to be specific with regards to the allergy (Example: all dairy or just fluid milk intolerance, etc.)
2-Because allergies change you MUST fill out a new form EVERY YEAR.
3- You must indicate to your child's school which days and which menu item you would like at least 48 hours in advance. We will not automatically have these available if we do not hear from parents in advance.
4-A vegetarian and nut free options are available every day so please see regular menu.
5-Juice or water are not acceptable substitutes per USDA guidelines. At this time we have Kikkoman Soy milk as a substitute. You're welcome to send in your own milk with your child if they don't like it.
6-We will do the best we can to accommodate other requests but there may be some limitations. For questions please call our food service off at 586-797-1180
Elementary menus are available online under the Allergy Menu tab. For Secondary Allergy menu items please submit the same form and then contact Food Service at 586-797-1180 to meals
New District App
Utica Community Schools has a new mobile app! Search for 'Utica Schools' in your phone's app store and download the free app to stay up-to-date on district and school news. The old mobile app 'Utica Community Schools' is no longer supported and should be deleted from your devices. Download at the App store here and Google Play here.