Human Impact on Lithosphere
By: Harley and Kirsten
uranim / plutonium
- Nuclear Energy
Impact on environment when mined:
- Open pits or shafts and drives are dug, waste rock and overburden is placed in engineered dumps.
- Tailings from the ore processing must be placed in engineered dams or underground.
- The whole site must be rehabilitated at the end of the project.
- Air and water pollution must be avoided during mining.
How to prevent:
- Find a safer and cleaner way instead of mining.
- Harvested to provide resources like paper/wood products such as furniture, paper, plywood, etc.
Impacts environment when harvested:
- When harvested in excess, (Deforestation), Oxygen levels decrease and carbon dioxide levels increase.
- Habitat loss
- Soil erosion rates speed up because the roots of plants are not there to hold it in place.
- Photosynthesis will stop.
To prevent harmful affects of tree harvesting:
- Reforestation, plant back all trees harvested
- Selective cutting