Education in the 21st Century
- Education has been around for centuries. It has improved alot now a days we have education that involves technology. Weather its computers, ipads, or phones.
- Alabama becomes the first state to "require public schools to check the immigration status of students." Though the law does not require schools to prohibit the enrollment nor report the names of undocumented children. Opponents nevertheless contented it is unconstitutional based on the Plyer v. Doe ruling.
- On January 9, President Barack Obama announces a plan to allow two years of free community college for all American students. However, with Republicans in control of both the House and Senate, there seems little hope that this proposal will be implemented any time soon.
- In yet another case regarding school prayer the U.S. Supreme Court rules that the district's policy of allowing student led prayer prior to football games violates the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment.
- The North American Reggio Emilia Alliance (NAREA) is formally launched as an organization. Its goals include promoting the rights of young children and providing information about the Reggio Emilia approach to early childhood education.
- The Higher Eductaion Act is again Amended and Reauthorized. Expanding access to higher education for low and middle income students. Providing additional funds for graduate studies, and increasing accountability.
- In the latest incarnation of the "Monkey Trial." the U.S. District Court of Pennsylvania rules in the case of Kitzmiller v. Dover Area Scool District that teaching "intelligent design" as an alternative to evolution is a violation of the First Amendment.
- Less than one year after the Virginia Tech massacre former graduate student Stephen P. Kazmierczak kills five and wounds 17 in a classroom at Northern Illiniois University. He later takes his own life.
- The School District of Philadelphia announces on June 7 that it will cut nearly 4,000 employees. Including 676 teachers as well as many administrators and guidence counselors.
- As schools open this fall, a Demographic Milestone is reached minority students enrolled in K-12 public school classrooms outnumber non-Hispanic Caucasians.