February 19th, 2021
Good afternoon Cougar families,
The first two weeks of in person learning for our kindergarten and first graders have been amazing. We are so proud of how well our youngest learners are doing following our safety expectations and adjusting to routines. It's been wonderful to see the joy on faces as kids return to the building. We are thrilled to welcome our 2nd and 3rd graders back on Monday, February 22nd.
I'd like to take a moment to say thank you families. We know the last year has been anything but easy and our staff appreciates all of your flexibility and support. Little by little, we are getting back to what feels much more normal with a building full of kids.Part of our success in this will be continued practicing of safety procedures, including the daily Wellness Check/Health Attestation in Skyward each day prior to your child starting school.
There are several really important things we are doing to keep kids and staff safe. One is maintaining at least a 6 foot social distance when at school. There are visual markers in most common spaces, including classrooms that have helped our students understand what this looks and feels like. The second key piece of the plan is wearing masks.
- If cloth masks are worn they should be washed daily
- Masks should fit snug against side of the face
- Masks should cover nose and mouth
- Masks should be secured with ties, ear loops, elastic bands, or equally effective method
- If families need a disposable mask, OPS will be happy to provide one to a student
- Gators, bandanas and shields are not a replacement for a cloth or disposable mask, Thank you for your continued support as we work to ensure learning for all students!
Principal, Orting Primary School
Please watch our Welcome Back Video. The video will have all the information of what to expect when your child arrives to school. We can't wait!
Student Council's 3rd Annual Food Drive February 17-26th
Orting Primary Student Council is hosting their 3rd Annual Food Drive to help support the Orting Food Bank. If you are interested in helping out the food bank they will accept all donations, but are really in need of the following: peanut butter, canned corn, soups and condiments (like ketchup, mayo, mustard).
Drop off locations will be at the screening locations for students when they arrive, this will make for easy drop off as soon as they get to school.
Last year we collected 920lbs of food, our goal this year is to exceed 1,000lbs!
Skyward-Wellness Screening Completed Daily
Ms. Alvers-2nd Step
Here at OPS we are excited to be using the Second Step curriculum to help support social skills development in our students. We would like to share some of the companion resources that are available for families to explore and enjoy. This week we are highlighting the “Imagine Neighborhood” podcast. This podcast is designed to help children and grown-ups grow their social emotional skills. Check it out here! Imagine Neighborhood Link
Mobile Library-LAST WEEK
Cougar Character Trait
Kindness is defined as the quality of being friendly, generous, and considerate. There are many different ways to practice kindness. Kindness can improve how our day to day life can be in the workplace, a school setting or even in our own community. Showing Kindness can be very rewarding giving it as it is receiving it.
Q: My child is having a technology related issue on a district owned device, how can I
A: Reach out to the Orting Express
Call in Support Hours are from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm
with expanded hours coming soon
Students and families can get help in the following ways:
- Access help by the live chat feature from 8:00 am to 3:30 pm Monday through Friday on the Orting School District Website. Access the help feature on the lower corner of the Orting Express page.
- Access help by texting to this number (253) 254-3276 (no calls text only)
- Send us an email OrtingExpress@orting.wednet.edu
- To contact our Support Center, call directly at (360) 893-6500 press *
Orting Primary School will be open for appointment only 9am to 4pm.
All visitors are expected to wear a face covering and to practice social distancing. In addition, visitors must sign in and will be asked to attest to your health via QR code. For your convenience, Instructions are posted on the main entrance door.