1st Grade Beach Break
October 17, 2016
October is already half over! Friday, October 14th marked the end of the first nine weeks. I sent out an email with the times available for parent teacher conferences. Please make sure we have a time worked out to go over your child's progress thus far. I will be giving out the students report card at the conferences for just this first nine weeks grading period. I like to go over the report card with you since it will be the first time for your student to have a number grade. If you have any questions about parent teacher conferences, please e-mail me.
Please make sure you take a peek at the reminders below. We have a very busy month!!
- Friday, October 28th is a spirit day. Jeans and a spirit shirt go a long way!!
- Trips to the Roanoke Library are October 17th and the 31st.
- Tuesday, October 18th is spirit night at Chick-fil-A.
- Field trip to the Dallas Arboretum on Tuesday, Oct 25th.
- Red Ribbon week is October 24th through October 28th. Be looking for what fun an exciting themes we will have for each day.
- Thursday, October 27th we will have a parent volunteer. Please send in a shirt that can get messy!!
- Fall Festival will be held here at the church on Monday, October 31st from 5:30pm-7:30pm. Bring the family and enjoy the fun!!
Looking at the Week Ahead
We have completed laying our foundations for both Reader's and Writer's workshop. We are going to be focusing on some of our grammar elements, such as:
- proper noun
Please make sure your child brings their library books back on Monday the 17th. We will be getting new ones. They will not be able to check out new ones until they return the others.
We will be reviewing the last five chapters covered over the last few weeks. I will be sending home a list for them to use to review these words with. We will also spend the week talking about the different short vowel sounds. A practice test will be given so they can see what this type of spelling test will look like.
We will be taking a break this week to focus on introducing our voting unit.
Week In Review
Bugs and Plants
This week we took our test over insects and plants.
Reader's and Writer's Workshop
During Reader's Workshop, we looked at some different comprehension strategies. We are learning that reading is not just decoding the words, but also learning information from the words. We can either learn new knowledge or learn something about the story.
In Writer's workshop we talked about revising our writing. We are talking about ARMS revision strategy.
A= add sentences or words
R= remove unneeded words or sentences
M= move a word or sentence placement
S= substitute words or sentences for others
We also touched on CUPS for editing a piece.