Scoggins Middle School Newsletter
Week of January 15
Stay up to date...
Tuesday, January 16
- Practice STAAR Testing - 8th Grade Math and 7th Grade Reading
- Seahawk Tennis vs. Vandeventer - 4:30pm at Independence High School.
Wednesday, January 17
- Practice STAAR Testing - 8th Grade Reading
Thursday, January 18
- Basketball 7th and 8th Grade vs. Griffin - Boys at Scoggins and Girls at Griffin - 5:30pm to 9pm - Ogle Elementary Spirit Night
Friday, January 19
- Band Tour to Ogle Elementary - 9:15am to 10am
- January 25 - Geography Bee
- January 29 - Rising Freshman Night for IHS and LHS
- February 6 - Practice STAAR - 6th and 7th Grade Math
- February 7 - Practice STAAR - 6th and 7th Grade Reading
- February 12 - 23 - Frisco Family Services Food Drive
- February 16 - No School - President's Day
- February 23 - Rising 6th, 7th and 8th Grade Course Cards are due.
- March 12 -16 - No School - Spring Break
Heads up, Parents - Know What Your Student is doing Online!
Just as a reminder – it is so important to know what your student is doing online, and to check your student’s phone and electronic devices regularly. Each year, we receive reports of students using anonymous messaging apps (two popular ones right now are called Sarahah and Whisper), which can allow users to post inappropriate or threatening messages anonymously. We encourage all of our parents to do a phone/electronic device check regularly, and to follow their students on Snapchat, Instagram, etc.!
We are continuing to work with our students on this same subject through our C3 (Care, Community, Connection) lessons as well. Students discussed healthy communication (including social media/texting) on January 10, and will continue that discussion in next week’s lesson as they discuss their “brand,” and how they are representing themselves on social media and via electronic means. We also invite all of our parents to join us for our Coffee with the Counselors on February 23, when we’ll discuss social media, including current apps to monitor and watch for (see attached flyer).
As always, please let us know if you ever have any questions or concerns. Thank you for teaming up with us to support all of our Seahawks!
Important Health Information from the Nurse
Respiratory illnesses are common this time of year. Influenza activity in Collin County is currently widespread and increasing. Please familiarize yourself with the signs and symptoms of the flu and keep your child home if they exhibit them. **Influenza usually comes on suddenly and may include fever, headache, body aches, tired/fatigue, cough, sore throat, runny/stuffy nose, nausea. A common cold is usually milder and may include cough, sore throat, runny/stuffy nose but rarely causes fever, headache, body aches, or fatigue.
Please notify attendance and/or the nurse directly if your child is absent due to the flu or flu-like symptoms in order to accurately track rates of illness and report our data to the county health department for surveillance. When reporting your child’s absence due to illness, specific symptom details are important for us to categorize our data.
Here are some friendly reminders on preventing illness:
· The single most important thing you can do to prevent getting ill and spreading illness to others is to WASH YOUR HANDS!
· Parents should consider having their families vaccinated against the flu.
· Stay home when ill to avoid spreading germs and illnesses to others.
· Practice coughing/sneezing etiquette to help stop the spread of germs:
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- Put your used tissue in a waste basket.
- If you don't have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve, not your hands
- Remember to wash your hands after coughing or sneezing
FISD's Gifted and Talented Program
IT'S STOCK THE PANTRY TIME!!!
Testing time is upon us and we want to say thank you to our teachers for their hard work! We are asking families to please donate healthy snacks, water, soda, etc. Please drop off your donation in the office now thru January 26th
Thank you so much for supporting our teachers!