Do You Know How To Keep Your Holiday Food Safe?
TTA: Happens when food is exposed to temperature danger zone (41-140 degrees)
- Do not let the food get in the temperature danger zone witch is 41-140 degrees
- After you have ate do not let the food sit out longer than two hours.
How To Properly Thaw Poultry
The correct way to thaw frozen poultry requires a lot of planning for the time it has to thaw in the fridge.
- Whole turkeys take about two days to thaw in the fridge.
Proper Purchasing and Storing Procedures for Poultry.
- Poultry products should be maintained at 40° F or below to greatly reduce the growth rate of any pathogenic bacteria that may be present on their surfaces
Four Steps to follow when buying poultry:
- Always purchase fresh poultry
- The Meat should feel cold to the touch, do not purchase meat that feels warm
- Choose meat packages that are tightly wrapped and have no tears or punctures
- Purchase poultry by the sell by date
Best Cooking Methods For Poultry
Slow even heat should be used for tender, juicy and evenly done poultry
Braising, Stewing, Broiling, and roasting are good cooking methods for poultry
What Are The Different Kinds Of Poultry?
Is Stuffing A Bird Safe?
a home-stuffed turkey can be somewhat riskier than cooking one not stuffed. If the stuffing is not cooked and handled properly, food borne illness could occur.
How To Properly Stuff The Turkey:
Prepare the stuffing safely: Mix the stuffing just before it goes into the turkey. If more convenient, the wet and dry ingredients can be prepared ahead of time and chilled. Mix the ingredients just before placing the stuffing inside the turkey or in a casserole.
Stuffing The Bird:The turkey should be stuffed loosely about 3/4 cup of stuffing per pound of turkey. This will help allow the stuffing to reach the proper 165 degrees F. internal temperature whether the stuffing is in the bird or in a casserole. Use a meat thermometer to be sure. The stuffing should be moist, not dry, since heat destroys bacteria more rapidly in a moist environment.
Storing The Left Overs: Leftovers should be stored within two hours of cooking. Cut the turkey off the bones. Refrigerate the stuffing and the turkey separately. Use leftover turkey within four days; stuffing and gravy, in one or two days.