Week of April 13, 2015
Dear Parents and Guardians,
I hope you had a great week with a perfect weekend ending! 2MU was certainly busy this week enjoying many fun-filled lessons and activities. Please read on to learn more!
- We read Gloria Who Might Be My Best Friend, learning more about character traits ~analyzing a characters words, actions, and thoughts.
- We learned about homophones, discovering that a sentence's context clues can help us determine word meaning and ultimately the correct spelling of the homophone.
- We learned more about idioms! Our grins were a mile wide once we discovered so many interesting idioms.
- We learned about subject-verb agreement. To help reinforce the skill, the students matched the subject part of a sentence strip with the correct predicate part of the sentence understanding the singular nouns have verbs that end in -s and plural nouns have verbs that do NOT end in -s. The children matched their cards correctly the first round...then, we had some fun making silly sentences. See photos below!
- During Writer's workshop, we focused on recalling and learning more about the key elements of a Small Moment story.
- We completed activities using the Smart Board to "Show, Don't Tell."
- As writer's we looked closely at authors' word usage to determine the emotions the character portrays.
- During Math, we continued learning more about measurement, including square inches and square square centimeters.
- We observed soil and noticed many interesting items hidden in soil. For example, the students found leaves, twigs, grubs, dead bugs, rocks, and bones.
- The WORMS arrived! After collecting food and plant matter, the children were able to make their bags to learn more about composting. The students worked with a partner to gather soil, then add several worms (Thank you to Mrs. Bean for distributing the worms to partner groups! ~I do NOT do bugs, I do children...2MU thought that was pretty funny!), and finally, add food and plant matter. Over the next 5 weeks, we will observe the soil and discover the worms will create a rich compost! Stay tuned...
- The student body attended a "Feel the Power" Assembly learning how to stand up for ourselves and being a hero to others. We also witnessed some amazing feats of strength.
- We made kites as described in Gloria Who Might Be My Best Friend ~ adding three wishes to our kite tails.