Bringing families together, one newsletter at a time!
Monday, August 2, 2021
Quote of the Week
Information and Updates
Cabrillo Point Academy - Now Enrolling!
Explorers on Course Elementary Academy
Explorers on Course Elementary Academy is still enrolling some grade levels! If you are interested in enrolling your child in the program please complete the registration form by August 6. See below for information on open grade levels:
KN- AM and PM open
1st- PM open (limited spots)
2- Enrollment Closed
3-PM Open (limited spots)
4- Enrollment Closed
5- AM and PM open
If you are interested, please complete the ENROLLMENT FORM to enroll in the Explorers on Course Program.
A few key points about Explorers on Course Elementary Academy:
- Explorers teachers will offer live, virtual, direct instruction in the areas of Foundational Reading Skills (grade KN and 1), Literary Analysis and Writing (grades 2-5), and Mathematics (grades KN-5).
- Our credentialed Explorers on Course teachers will provide engaging, collaborative live lessons in each subject area for 40 minutes, 2 days per week.
- The cost is $200 for the school year
- Students in the program must purchase and follow the designated curriculum: Mathematics (Grades KN-5) Singapore Dimensions, Reading Foundations (Grades KN and 1) Lively Letters, and Literary Analysis and Writing (Grade 2-5) Blackbird and Company. Please place curriculum orders using your planning amounts as soon as possible.
- Explorers on Course teachers will provide a detailed lesson plan for parents to follow on alternate days which will be necessary for students to be successful in the classes.
- Teachers will also have scheduled office hours to support parents in implementing the designated curriculum
- Students will attend either the AM (9:00 am - 10:30 am) or PM (11:00 am - 12:30 pm) session on Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Live instruction will begin on September 14.
We hope to serve and support your child in our new Elementary Academy!
A few tips for the August 4th Park Day:
- Come early as parking may be challenging and isn't free.
- The park is near the ocean. There is a lifeguard on duty.
- Bring a basketball to shoot hoops on the basketball court.
Look for me near the playground. I'll be wearing my Cabrillo Point Academy t-shirt! I hope to see you there!
Fun Summer Activities!
Please note: Cabrillo Point Academy is not affiliated with any of these resources. Also remember that planning amounts may not be used for classes and activities during the summer break.
Shop at a Farmers Market
Get your kids excited about their fruits and vegetables! Take your students to one of many local Farmers Markets, let them help pick items and then bring them home and cook them together!
You'll have access to fruits and vegetables at the peak of the growing season. This means produce is at its freshest and tastes the best. Shopping at farmers markets also supports your local farmers and keeps the money you spend on food closer to your neighborhood.
Check out this list of local Farmers Markets here.
Arrange a Scavenger Hunt
Keep Bubbles Blowing All Summer Long
Please be sure to read through our school’s Enrichment Guidelines from Homeschool Hub before entering order requests for your students. Please also make note of the following:
- Vendors and service orders will be available beginning Monday, August 2nd in the Homeschool Hub.
- New students will have their orders placed beginning 8/2/2021.
- We are excited to announce that our 3rd - 8th grade students can order FREE Chromebooks through Homeschool Hub. Tech items are available to order starting now. Items will begin to ship August 11th. For more information and FAQS, click here. ***Please be aware that all tech items are the property of Cabrillo Point Academy. If you decide to withdraw from Cabrillo Point Academy for any reason, tech items are due at the time of withdrawal.***
- School email for students: ALL students will have a Google/Gmail account provided by Cabrillo Point Academy. You should have already received the email and password. Please note: the Google/Gmail accounts are required for Chromebooks, Gmail, Classroom, and Enrichment/OSP subscriptions.
If your student took any Spring or Summer '21 classes at a community college, remember to send an official transcript to Cabrillo as soon as grades are posted to:
Cabrillo Point Academy
ATTN: Records Dept.
4612 Dehesa Road
El Cajon, CA 92019
For Electronic delivery - Records@CabrilloPointAcademy.org
Cabrillo Point Academy Spirit Wear
We are so excited to share out our Cabrillo Point Academy spirit wear store! You can see the store HERE
Virtual Field Trips
Below, please find some links to African Safari & Wildlife coloring pages and activities:
African wildlife Free Coloring pages.
More African wildlife Coloring pages.
Free Printable African Animals Word Search activities.
Learn more about Africa & it's culture with this free Kenya Unit Study.
Fun Safari themed activities for kids here.
National Night Out - This Friday!
Summer Homeschooling Advice
Should you be helping your homeschooled child find friends?
Socialization is one of the biggest questions people have when it comes to homeschooling. Most homeschoolers will tell you that their social calendar is booked full, and it is the least of their concerns. But sometimes it can be a challenge to help your homeschooled child find friends.Often if you live in an area where you don’t know a lot of people or you are not in a neighborhood or part of a church community, it can be a challenge to see other kids regularly and form lasting friendships.
Sometimes it takes a little looking to find a group where you fit in or an activity where your child really clicks with the other kids, but with a bit of effort you’ll find your child’s tribe (and just maybe yours too!)
Here are a few ideas for helping your homeschooled child find friends to get you started!
Homeschool Groups & Co-ops are Great for Finding Friends
This idea seems pretty obvious, but if you’ve tried some homeschool groups or co-ops in your area and didn’t find a good fit, look in neighboring towns or communities. It is often worth the effort to drive a little further to find a place where you feel comfortable.
Charting the Course with Cabrillo Point Academy!
Orange County Science & Engineering Fair Free Summer Sessions
The Orange County Science and Engineering Fair (OCSEF) is hosting FREE , virtual summer workshops for students to get a head start on their science/engineering fair programs and projects. (For students who will be in grades 6th - 12th this Fall.)
Sat. Sept. 25, 2021,10-11am (Beginner)
Beginning this Fall students can sign up for one of the FREE OCSEF workshops - "How to Pick a Science/Engineering Project Topic."
Resources and Opportunities
7 FAMILY-FRIENDLY ORANGE COUNTY TIDE POOLS
Tour Your Hometown
Virtual Field Trips
Join us on a virtual tour of Mount Rushmore National Memorial! Mount Rushmore depicts four presidents who all played an important role in the history of the United States. Included in this tour: HD footage, information and facts on one of the most iconic sites in the United States! Please enjoy the free resources and videos below!
Mount Rushmore Virtual Field Trip: Video
Mount Rushmore National Park in South Dakota: Tour
History of Mt. Rushmore | South Dakota: Ranger Talk
Math Catch-Up Classes
Catch up on all things fractions!
If you missed the live classes please click on the links below to watch the videos. These classes are designed for students 5th grade and up.
WRITER'S WORKSHOP OFFICE HOURS VIDEOS
Did you miss some of the writer's workshop hours? We now have writer's workshop videos for parents and teachers to use wherever you would like! If you need advice as to where to begin, feel free to email our amazing writing teacher at email@example.com.
Access the recorded writing workshop videos HERE
Social Emotional Support
We also have the recordings from all the Mindset Monday classes we have had this school year...Summer would be a great opportunity to watch these recordings to learn about practical tools and activities on a variety of social/emotional topics like Emotional Agility, Growth Mindset, Mindfulness, Resilience, and much much more!
High School Counselor Support
2021 Engineering Showcase - Only 4 Dates in August Left!
The UCR Bourns College of Engineering and the UCR MESA Program invites all area kids, families and prospective students to an engaging and informative virtual event, our 2021 Engineering Showcase! Formerly the "Engineering Family Night," the event is an opportunity to inform you all about the college and the exciting things we do. It's a chance to learn about the engineering profession and what it takes to be an engineer. The event is free! Please see attached flyer for registration information or follow this link: https://2021bcoeshowcase.eventbrite.com
Returning library materials? Please keep in mind:
Parents should still have access to their old library system accounts. By logging into your account, you should be able to see which items are checked out to your child(ren).
If you are unable to access your old library account, please feel free to call the school and speak with a Library Specialist, who can check to see if any items are still checked out to your family.
There is no need to separate enrichment and library materials when returning them to the library.
There is no need to add library materials to students’ inventory sheets when returning them to the library. Each library item has an asset tag on it, which our librarians will use to check it in.
Thank you very much for your help with getting those items returned!
Returning enrichment materials? Please follow the instructions detailed below by clicking on the graphic. Thank you for your help!
I Can Statements
Community and Connection
Please note: There are three questions that need to be answered in order to join. The group is for currently enrolled families only.