Principal's Message November 8-12
What a Week!
There are so many highlights from these first 9 weeks. I want to bring up a few to share how far we've come and how much we've overcome to reach this point. We deserve to stop and reflect on our successes.
- Students are learning at school (not home.)
- Brand-new arrival and dismissal times for both schools! They feel routine now, but the change was major!
- We have and are still enduring "drying" out from the Peabody flood. We opened on time, kids LOVE coming to school, and the primary business of the school is back to student learning. We're so close to being fully back in operation.
- WIN time at Watkins. We finished the first cycle and spent part of Friday morning celebrating students' growth and success. That success is clear via a new platform that teachers now use.
- We've brought on extra Social Emotional Learning supports with our partners at WISE (Wellness in School Environments at Georgetown) and Catholic Charities.
- We restarted in-person family events such as cultural heritage with Hispanic Heritage month and Back to School Night
- Nov 11- Veteran's Day. No school for staff or students.
- Nov 19 - Peabody Family Night (details below)
- Nov 24-26 Thanksgiving Holiday!
New Asymptomatic Student Testing Schedule!
Every Friday: Asymptomatic COVID testing for students.
9:15 for Watkins
1:15 for Peabody
Community-Wide Equity Audit Launch RECAP
We want more voices! We will have another meeting in November based off the preferences of our group members - which can still include you. Please complete this form if you are interested.
What is the work? We are gathering to build community and ask ourselves how our schools can be more equitable? What can we do to increase access to challenging work? Ensure all students and all families feel like they belong? We'll have some whole-group time to build community and smaller group time to explore our data in order to develop recommendations for change.
Aftercare Voucher Program Update
Asymptomatic Testing for Students
In order for a valid sample to be collected, students can not eat, drink, or put anything in or around their mouth at least one hour before testing. This includes any food, water, gum, lip gloss, and Chapstick.
How do you get your child's results? Directions are here. If you experience trouble accessing your students' test results, please contact the ST3 Support Line 833-762-0762. If that still doesn't work or if you have questions or access issues, please email DCPSCOVIDTesting@dc.gov.
THE PANTHER FUND IS FOUR DAYS OLD!
The Capitol Hill Cluster School PTA is excited to announce the Panther Fund, an annual fundraising campaign to support our students, teachers, staff,
and families at Peabody, Watkins, and Stuart-Hobson! Between November 2nd and December 1st, the Panther Fund seeks to raise $50,000. Our goal is to replace the income from two fundraisers that had to be canceled due to COVID – the Renovators House Tour and the Mini Capitol Hill Classic. And while we are hopeful that our spring fundraisers – the Auction and the Capitol Hill Classic – will take place as planned, this fund will ensure that our school year’s fundraising goals are met. We are asking families to please consider donating $30, $50 or $100 per scholar. Donations will be accepted through our Panther Fund Greater Giving page: https://tinyurl.com/5wmfuzmp
PTA Meeting Monday
PTA MEETING ON MONDAY, NOVEMBER 8th AT 8:00pm
Please join us for our November PTA General Meeting at 8:00pm on Zoom!
We will be joined by Eastern High School Principal Sah Brown who will talk about his vision for Eastern High School and take Q&A from parents.
In addition, our campus teams will present fall grants to prepare for community voting next week. We hope to see you on Monday night!
PTA Sponsored SUNDAY NOVEMBER 21st -- SAVE THE DATE
The PTA is working on a Community Event on Sunday November 21st from approximately 2:00pm-5:00pm.
Please keep your eyes out for more details next week!
Cold Lunch Menu
Watkins Fall Scholastic Book Fair
- Date: October 29- November 9 (there will no book fair on days that school is closed)
- Time: 7:30am- 8:45am (parents will be allowed to come into the building and shop with their students)
- Students will have access to the Fair during one Specials class.
- Location: Library
- Payment Options: cash, credit and debit
- Book Fair Volunteers: sign-up link is in the flyer
Term 2 Specials Rotate!
Library - Amuzie, Sheppard, Moxley, Sullivan, Evans
Spanish - Davis, Josephs, Nover, Phoenix, Lamont
Art - Stewart, Coleman, O'Neil, Elmusa, Hoover
Music - Mooney, McPhail, Parler, Dickinson, Hightower