11/6 - 11/10
Mrs. Pierce’s Principal Message
What a fantastic week! All of the saint altars looked sensational! The saints at Mass were heavenly too! All Saint’s Day should not just be one time a year; every day we have the opportunity to be an example to others and work toward holiness. We don’t need another super hero; we need saints. “The saints who have gone before us are the witness, par excellence, to this tethering to Truth that enlightens and inspires and elevates mankind” (Roman catholicman.com). Let us all pray for God’s help for us to use our gifts to make this world a better place for everyone. It is in our giving that we receive.
“You cannot be half a saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all.”
-St. Therese of Lisieux
SMG Robotics Teams flew drones last Friday at the Bell Helicopter-sponsored competition at Alliance Airport. They were awarded 2nd place overall in Mission Impossible STEM Challenge Design Competition!
Annual Thanksgiving Food Drive runs Monday, November 6th through Friday, November 17th. Each student is asked to bring $1.00 and the specific item assigned to their grade level.
All Saints Day was a Blessing to all!
I am pleased to announce that the Nolan Theatre Department placed first at District for their One Act Play. Also, all nine of the cast and crew received an award.
And, not without bragging rights of two St. Maria Goretti - Nolan students, Jenna Rowell (awarded Honorable Mention) and Matthew Logan (awarded All Star Cast) Congratulations to you both!
Box Top Winner
The winner is 4th Grade with 437 Box Top$! They will receive an ice cream party at their lunch hour on Wednesday, November 8. Congratulations
We are excited to report our Sixth through Eighth Graders are eager to run for Student Council. An informational meeting was held last Friday. Students were given the filing forms as well as the expectations and information for campaigning. We are looking forward to seeing our students serve the SMG student body. Students are to return their filing forms and the names of 2 references to Mrs. Benson on Tuesday, Nov. 7th. Late applications will not be accepted. Speeches will be the afternoon of Nov. 9th. We will notify you of the time but tenitive plan for 2:00 P.M. Voting will commence on Friday afternoon.
Please see the enclosed forms. Good luck to all of our candidates!
Veteran’s Day Information:
1. All Veterans are invited to join us for our 3rd annual flag retirement. Distinguished guests should enter the front of the building and check in. A brief reception before the ceremony will be held in the library beginning at 9am.
2. We still have room for more speakers, please sign up at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0448ada622a5fe3-veterans1
3. Flags to be retired should be turned in to the office attn: Isabel White, no later than Tuesday 11/7.
4. Friday is a MASS UNIFORM day.
Week at a glance:
Sunday, Nov. 5
· Daylight Savings Time ENDS at 2:00 A.M. Turn clocks BACK one hour.
Monday, Nov. 6
· Advanced Band 7:00-7:40 A.M.
· Morning Prayer in cafetorium - Rosary
· Soccer St. Maria Red at 4:15 P.M. vs St. Maria White @ St. Maria Goretti
· Home and School Board Meeting @6:30 P.M.
Tuesday, Nov. 7
· Beginning Band 7-7:40 A.M.
· Robotics 6:30-8:00
Wednesday, Nov. 8
· Advanced Band 7-7:40 A.M.
· Library Club 3:00-3:40
Chess Club at lunch for 6th, 7th and 8th grades
· Soccer St. John at 4:15 P.M. vs. St. Maria White @ St. John
· Soccer St. Peters @ 4:15 P.M. vs. St. Maria Red @ St. Maria Goretti
Thursday, Nov. 9
· Beginning Band 7-7:40 A.M.
· STUCO speeches @ 2:00 P.M. (location TBD)
· NO Running Club this week
· Veteran’s Day Program Gr 3 and 4: Cafetorium at 6:30 P.M.
Friday, Nov. 10
· Lunch in classrooms today due to art show.
· VOTE for STUCO (Grades 6,7,8 Survey Monkey in class at end of day)
· Veterans’ Day Festivities:
9:00-9:20 A.M. Meet and Greet
9:30 A.M. Ceremony – Flag Retirement – Back parking lot
10:00 A.M.SpeakersGrades 1-8
Student Artome show in Cafetorium.
Teachers may bring their classes to look at art work. Parents are welcomed and encouraged to come and see their student's art. Artwork can be purchased through FACTS or by cash/check.
· Indoor Pickup – Butterbraids Pickup
· SMEED will go to Saint Maria Center AFTER pickup.
Saturday, Nov. 11
· Music performance by 3rd and 4th grade at 5:30 P.M. Mass after communion to thank our veterans.
· Veteran's Day
The Christmas Store needs your help!
Nov. 13 – Basketball Practice Begins 3:00-9:00 P.M.
School Advisory Council Meeting 6:30-8:30 P.M.
Yearbook Meeting 3:30-4:15 P.M.
Nov.16 – Mr. Hibachi Dine-Out Fundraiser 6:00-9:00 P.M. (5005 South Cooper Street)
Running Club 3:30-4:20 P.M.
Nov. 17 – Noon Dismissal. SMEED available
National Adoption Day - NJHS, 8th grade Cheerleaders, and STUCO go to Tarrant County Courthouse.
Nov. 20-24 – Thanksgiving Holiday Break
Nov. 27 - Yearbook Meeting 3:30-4:15 P.M.
Nov. 27 – Home & School Meeting 7 P.M. in Cafetorium
Nov. 30 – Running Club 3:30-4:20 P.M.
Dec 4 - Yearbook Meeting 3:30-4:15 P.M.
Dec. 4 & 5 – Christmas Program 6:30 P.M.