Elementary and Secondary Updates
HAPPY NEW YEAR
- mclass: January 6-February 4 (Kindergarten-Grade 3/4)
- iReady (Reading and Math): January 10-January 28 (Kindergarten-Grade 5)
- NCCheckins (ELA): January 12-28 (Grades 3-5)
- Eureka Math/Schoolnet (Math): January 12-28 (Grades 3-5)
- WIDA/ACCESS: January 25-March 11 (Kindergarten-Grade 5)
- NCELI: February 11-March 11(Kindergarten)
- Parent Conferences should be scheduled for Thursday, January 20, 2022. Report cards and progress letters should be given to parents at this time.
- The literacy team has begun working on the district's literacy plan. Please provide suggestions that you feel will improve literacy instruction in GCPS.
- The literacy team will begin working with VOYAGER Sopris in February to create the GCPS Science of Reading /LETERS professional development plan for 2022-2023.
- TRI: Target Reading Intervention will begin at West Oxford and Butner Stem Elementary January 24, 2022.
- Please schedule a mid-year data retreat with your staff (or use PLCs) to discuss MOY data (plan instruction and intervention based on data).
Bethany Bonnemere, Principal West Oxford Elementary (Providing Coffee and Donuts to Staff)
- iReady (Reading and Math): January 10-January 28 (Grades 6-8)
- NCCheckins (ELA and Math): January 15-29 (Grades 6-8)
- WIDA: January 25-March 11 (Grades 6-12)
- NC Checkin (Math I): February 1-16 (Grade 8 yearlong); Highschool: TBD
- English II: Study Sync benchmarks (TBD)
- Biology: TBD
- Winter Graduation is January 11, 2022 4:00pm Drive-Thru Ceremony at Central office (Principals and other staff please park on Hicks Mill Road.)
- ACT is 8 weeks away. – March 1, 2022
- Method Learning ACT Prep is the district-provided prep tool for all Juniors.
HS Seminar should be used as an intentional time for juniors to prepare for the ACT.
How can English and Math teachers use ML for ACT prep?
Method Learning Dashboard > ACT > Lessons> choose the subject and topic.
Instructional Leaders can check the progress of juniors under ACT Course Reports
South Granville High School
HOSA supports Angel Tree
JF Webb High School & GCPS Early College High School
Students volunteer at Stovall-Shaw Elementary
Granville Central High School
FFA (Future Farmers of America)
GCPS Instructional Grows
- Teachers modeling
- Students working and collaborating
- Students demonstrate a "Spirit of School." Great school climate
- Teachers re-state instruction, praise students, and give feedback
- Students ask clarifying questions and conferred what had been shared
- Student behavior and receptivity to hands-on instruction
- Students and teachers seem happy
Pictured Below: Amy Miller, Integrated Academic and Behavior Systems Regional Consultant- North Central Region; Melany Paden, NCDPI Regional Director-North Central Region; and Dr. Felisha Whitaker, GCPS Director of Elementary Education
First Cadence Academy Graduate
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL GCPS WINTER GRADUATES!
Happy New Year
We wish you all the best,
Great work to reach your fondest goals,
And when you're done, sweet rest.
We hope fulfillment,
Contentment, peace, and more,
A brighter, better new year than
You've ever had before.
By: Joanna Fuchs
Dates to Remember
Wednesday, January 12 @ 3:30 pm: ELA PLC (K-2)
Wednesday, January 12 @ 3:30 pm: Math PLC (3-5)
Thursday, January 13: Report Cards (Early College)Friday, January 14: Leadership Meeting
Monday, January 17: Holiday
Tuesday, January 18: Secondary Meeting (Virtual)
Wednesday, January 19: Elementary Meeting (Virtual)
Wednesday, January 19 @ 6:00 pm: Parent University-Resume Writing
Thursday, January 20: Report Cards (Traditional Schools)
GCPS Elementary and Secondary Education Departments
Angie Salisbury, Director of Secondary Education and Career Technical Education
919-693-4613 (ext: 340111)
Dr. Felisha A. Whitaker, Director Elementary Education and District Transformation