NPHS RETURN TO SCHOOL
Update 2 of 2 - Hybrid Learners
Click here to view Principal Adams' video welcoming new students and clarification of hybrid@ home expectations and what happens in the event that there is a transition to fulltime distance learning.
10th-12th Graders: Click to sign up for a 30 minute time slot for Open Building on September 1.
Click here to review the NPAS complete policy. Students unwilling to participate in any on-campus activities in compliance with this policy will be removed from campus and offered distance learning. This policy also applies to any and all visitors.
Building Arrival Times and Procedures
In order to ensure that we are maintaining social distancing guidelines in the mornings, we have made the following adjustments to the start of the school day. Students will not be able to congregate en masse in the locker bank area.
- Student drivers are strongly encouraged not to arrive until after 7:25.
- Upon arrival, please walk directly to your first-hour class and do not congregate in the locker bank.
- Please do not drop students off any earlier than 7:15 as front doors will not be open until that time.
- If you arrive before 7:25 please have a socially-distanced seat in the cafeteria/commons area until the bell rings to go to class.
- If your bus arrives before 7:25 please have a socially-distanced seat in the cafeteria/commons area until the bell rings to go to class.
STUDENT SCHEDULES AND SCHEDULE CHANGE REQUESTS
- Students may access class schedules on Campus Portal starting at 3:30 on 8/28/20.
- Counselors are still working to balance Group A and B cohorts, and class sizes.
- Students will receive an email if schedules are adjusted after Friday, August 28.
- Students’ alternate courses are used, as needed, when original requests conflict.
- Preferential changes are not processed (the specific time of day for a class, lunch period, teacher preference, etc.)
Valid change requests include:
- Errors in placement (incorrect grade level, missing prerequisite, etc.)
- Medical or health restrictions
- Add class required for graduation
- Dropping a class for a study hall (1 per semester)
BUILDING PROCEDURES AND PROTOCOL CHANGES
CLEANING AND DISINFECTING PROTOCOLS AT NPHS
Cleaning frequencies will be increased at the high school. Here is what you can expect:
- In addition to our fulltime lead custodian, two fulltime daytime custodians will be at NPHS
- High touch surfaces (handrails, door handles, locker rooms, and common areas) will be cleaned frequently throughout the day.
- There will be seven evening custodians to disinfect each night.
- Common restrooms will be cleaned twice each day and once each evening.
- Each evening all learning spaces will be disinfected with electrostatic foggers.
CHANGES TO SPECIALIST CLASSES UNIQUELY IMPACTED BY COVID
All of our procedures and classes have undergone changes to ensure we are consistent with MDH guidelines in order to open safely. Some of our classes have very specific challenges. Please continue reading below to highlight some of the changes that have been made.
Locker rooms will be available to change into athletic gear. However, we will not issue lockers or locks this year. The students will take their clothes with them to their class area along with backpacks and then will have time to change back at the end of class.
Family and Consumer Science Foods Courses
Family Consumer Science 2020-21 School Year Updates:
1. All Foods Courses will be instructed through a flipped classroom model. This means heavily lab-based during Hybrid @ School. Students will be responsible for the majority of their learning during Hybrid @ Home.
2. Lab fees for All Foods Courses are reduced to a standard rate of $20.
3. Kitchen groups will be no more than 3 students in order to safely work in the lab.
4. Labs will follow Minnesota restaurant guidelines.
Senior Privileges Program
- Senior Privileges Program is a program for seniors who are on track to graduate and are in good academic and behavioral standing.
- Seniors who qualify for this are free to leave campus during study hall and during lunch.
- They may not leave campus with underclassmen during either of these times.
- Senior Privileges may be revoked if disciplinary, behavioral or attendance expectations are not met.
- Start Date: First Day of School (if forms are submitted by September 2)
The following steps are needed to sign up for Senior Privileges:
1. Students: Fill out the application form below.
2. Parents: Fill out the permission slip will be emailed to you (not part of this newsletter)
3. Pick up your bag tag the week of September 7.
The application form and permission form MUST be submitted by September 2 in order to start Senior Privileges on the first day of school, September 3 or 4.
The New Prague High School website contains the daily schedule, announcements, staff directory, guidance information, and prior communication.
This webpage serves as a hub for updates related to the reopening of our schools for the fall of 2020. We will regularly update this page as our plans continue to take shape. We encourage you to keep checking back for the latest information.