BAMS Staff Newsletter
April 10, 2016 - Volume 3, Issue 28
Be Awesome Today!!
Bessie Allen Middle School - SLO & Goals
By June of 2016, 80% of students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grade will show growth in their opinion writing rubric score from the September 2015 opinion writing rubric score.
***Mid-Year Update: 62% of our students are showing growth. Grade levels noted that students have shown improvement in "citing and using evidence" in their writing. "Knowing the audience" was a skill that the data showed our students needed improvement in.***
- Have Patience and Courage
- Purposefully Use Learning Targets/Lesson Goals for Every Lesson
- Have Solution Based Discussions
- Be an Award Winning School - DPI School of Recognition/PBIS School of Merit
Driving Question for 2015-2016:
What have we changed with our instruction to prepare all our students for higher level thinking opportunities?
News and Notes
- Budget Spending - Please remember to spend your budgets by April 15th. The business office needs time to complete their procedures for the 2015-2016 school year budget year closes.
- Lockdown Drill - Keep thinking about all scenarios when it comes to our ALICE training. This is a good thing to review at your Team. Is there information about this in your sub folder?
- Tornado Drill on Thursday - This Thursday we will be having an district wide Tornado Drill at 1:45. You will an announcement for a watch and then the warning to follow. Please review your safe location for this drill. If you have any questions let me know. You should have keys for your safe location.
- Staffing Update - The PE/Health teacher interviews went very well last week. There were candidates that we feel could be a good fit at Bessie Allen. I am continuing with our hiring process for this position and will update you with our next step when I have information to share.
- Another Staffing Update - Our 6th Grade Teacher open position will be posted on WECAN soon. Instead of a .49 position, this will be a 1.00 position. I'm excited that we will be able to have 5 full time teachers in 6th grade again. I will be meeting with the 6th grade team before posting this opening. You will be informed about the process as we move forward.
- Attendance Reminder - Thank you for helping to keep our students safe by taking accurate attendance.
- 2 Staff Meetings - Pick one - Please attend that staff meeting on April 5th or April 11th at 2:50pm. The same material will be presented at these meetings. This time will be devoted to proctor training for the Wisconsin Forward Exam.
Out of the Office
- April 12 - Admin Meeting, 9-11am, DMR
- April 13 - BCT Meeting, 8:30-10am, Team Room
- April 20 - Oriole Way Meeting, 7-8am, Team Room
- May 4 - District EL Meeting, 8-9am, Cafe
Oriole Way - Be Ready, Be Respectful, Be Safe
Minor Behavior form link - here
Major Behavior form link - here
Why Do We Discipline a Child? = To Maintain Safety, To Teach, and To Build Relationships
- Our school is in the process of applying for School of Merit distinction status for our PBIS framework. Applications are due later this month. You will certainly hear more about this if you receive this award.
- While reflecting on our PBIS framework for this year, we were reminded about the need to a higher ratio of positives to negatives for students in our building. For most students we should be at a 4:1 ratio; for at-risk students this should be 16:1 ratio. Remember, a positive can be a smile, a comment, a nonverbal praise, pat on the back, a reward, a prize, etc.
Next Meeting - April 20th, 7am - Team Room
OASYS and Teacher Effectiveness
To Do List
- Complete Documentation Log - Due on May 1st
- SLO Reflection and Evidence - Due on May 15th or when data is available
- Make 2 Professional Visits to Another Classroom - Due by End of Year
Click Here for a link to Teacher Effectiveness Info from CESA 6
Click Here for a Teacher Effectiveness Calendar for EDUCATORS/SPECIALISTS
Dates to Remember
April 5 - Staff Meeting 2:50-3:30pm *pick one
April 11 - Staff Meeting 2:50-3:30pm *pick one
April 12 - 7th Grade WFE in math classes
April 13 - 6th Grade Writing Sample #3 in SSR/SSW
April 14 - 8th Grade WFE 4th Hour
April 14 - 7th Grade Writing Sample #3 in SSR/SSW
April 15 - 8th Grade Field Trip, College Exploration Day, 8:20-2:30, Band Fair
April 15 - 7th Grade WFE in math classes
April 19 - 7th Grade WFE - modified schedule
April 19 - Band Clinic, 12:30-2:30pm
April 20 - 8th Grade Writing Sample #3 in SSR/SSW
April 20 - Staff Meeting 2:50-3:30pm
April 21 - 6th Grade WFE 4th Hour
April 25 - 8th Grade WFE - modified schedule
April 25 - School Board Meeting 7pm
April 26 - 8th Grade WFE - modified schedule
April 27 - 7th Grade WFE in SSR/SSW
April 27 - Secretaries Day
April 27 - Jazz Band Chili Supper 6pm
April 28 - Jazz Band Performance 8:30am - BAMS Cafeteria
April 29 - District Inservice - no students
*See Google Doc titled "2015-2016 BAMS Yearly Calendar" for a look at events for the entire year.