Welcome to Tomahawk JCPRD's Out of School Time (OST)
Dates to Remember:
Monday, September 7th-CLOSED,
NO Care Provided due to Labor Day
Tuesday, September 8th- All Day Care Day(7am to 6pm)
Park Lanes Bowl (12:30p to 4p)
Out Of School Time and Ipads
- I will be doing a test run with the sixth graders starting today and allowing them to do their homework on their I pads. At this time I will only allow the sixth graders to use their I Pads during homework time only, which is 3:30pm to 4:00pm. If it is homework that requires sound, students will need to have earphones so that they do not disturb others that are doing homework. If a student is caught playing games, not doing homework, or have their I Pads out during non-homework time they will lose their privilege. I will look into allowing other grades later on in the year once more homework is being converted to I pads, but for right now only the sixth graders will be allowed to do homework on their I pads.
JCPRD out of school time will continue to be an I pad free environment. I have talked to Mr. Watson and we agreed that JCPRD will be I Pad free. I will have a lock box if you feel more comfortable with your child locking them up while they are here, or they can leave them in their back packs. We will not ask for them the kids will be responsible for checking them in and also checking them out. Staff will not come in after hours, if an I pad is left behind.
JCPRD's 60th Celebration
Come join Johnson County Parks and Recreation in celebrating our 60th year serving Johnson county communities on Sunday, September 20th. Enjoy live entertainment and music (Liverpool and Mr. Stinky Feet are a few of the featured musicians), food & beverages, family activities, animals, hayrides, and much more in Shawnee Mission Park's Theatre In the Park, 11am-5pm. Click on the link for more information, CELEBRATE 60!
- Check-In: We will check students in at the room. If you know your child(ren) will not be in OST please call us at 913.385.5879 or email me at Michael.email@example.com. If a student has not checked in with us, we will contact you if we haven't heard from you first.
- Snack: We are very excited to report that we have taken the Commit to Health Pledge! In doing so you can expect to see our out of school time participants engaging in more physical activity, learning about good nutrition, and eating healthier snacks while in attendance at JCPRD. Commit to Health is an initiative of the National Recreation and Park and Association and The Alliance for a Healthier Generation. Our staff has worked hard to develop a new food service menu that features items that are nutrient dense, low in fat, sugar, and sodium, as well as more fresh fruits and vegetables. Please support our efforts to help students develop healthy eating habits by encouraging them to be open to trying new foods and by reinforcing the benefits of nutritious diet. Healthy snacks and meals improve cognitive function, increase energy, and help children grow strong muscles and bones!
- Homework/Reading time: We will start the day with homework/reading time for the kids. Please sign them up the first two days of school if you would like for them to do 20 - 30 minutes of homework before snack.
- Activities: We will provide clubs for kids to experience a wide range of activities. Some of the clubs that we have had include: Chess, Writing, Cooking, Art & Crafts, Kid Fit, and STEAM. As we progress through out the months, new clubs may be added.
- Outside/Gym Time: We believe it is essential for minds and bodies to have mental health breaks and join in on fitness breaks. Weather permitting we will go outside. JCPRD follows the Shawnee Mission school district’s weather policy. Please remember to have your child(ren) layer up and bring a jacket with their name labeled inside it. We will have structured activities for them to do during this time as well as free play.
- Reading Time: Every evening at 5:30pm we will have reading time until kids are picked up. All Kids will come in and clean up that time and find a place to read. If there are kids that need help reading a staff or older kid will read to them.
- Check-Out: Please sign-out your child every time when you pick them up. Sign out them for that day with your initials and the time you picked them up. We will check to make sure that all kids are signed out and will call if they are not signed out for that day.
SIGNING IN & OUT
Verifying Pick Ups-If we do not get a call, email, or note stating another person besides parents are not picking up, we will call to verify this. Please call if someone else is picking up your child(ren) so that our staff can be with the kids.
Please remember to sign in and out your child(ren) daily.