September 7, 2021
Welcome from Mrs. Tanner
Dear Sheldon Families,
Happy September! I hope you all enjoyed a long Labor Day weekend. We will have a lot of events coming up this fall, so please be sure to read the newsletter each week and check Facebook often. If you don't already follow us on Facebook, please do! We share a lot of information and fun pictures!
Please ensure your children are coming to school with masks each day. It is a good idea to send a spare mask as well. We appreciate your support in ensuring students come to school prepared to learn and masks are essential to a safe learning environment.
Please use the car line unless you've literally walked to school or taken the city bus. I promise it moves quickly! It may seem faster to walk your student up, but it actually significantly slows down the entire process.
Additionally, please be sure your children are seated in the proper car seats, per Kansas law. If you need help with this, see the Family Resources section below!
Click the link to access the 2021-2022 Family Handbook.
As always, if you have questions or concerns, do not hesitate to reach out to me!
Thank you for the privilege of serving you ~
Mrs. Gabrielle Tanner, Principal
Items That Need Your Attention
Blocking Driveways & Intersections
Household Economic Survey
1. Please follow the established traffic flow for the car line. It is detailed later in this newsletter. Vehicles MUST turn right out of the parking lot.
2. Do not park on Sena St. to walk up and get your student. This causes a traffic jam with regular traffic and those trying to turn out of our parking lot.
2. Students must have harnesses on and be ready BEFORE the bus arrives. This allows the route to stay on time.
3. At this point, students who come to the bus without a mask will be asked to return home to get one. We can not continue to provide masks for those coming consistently without.
Here Comes the Bus App
Here Comes the Bus®
Now available to parents of (Topeka Public Schools) students
• View the real-time location of your child’s bus.
• Access the app from your smartphone, tablet or computer.
• Receive push notifications or email alerts.
• Send your child to the bus stop at just the right time, every time.
How to get started:
1. Download the Here Comes the Bus app* or visit herecomesthebus.com
2. Sign Up by going to the Here Comes the Bus website https://login.herecomesthebus.com/SignUpConfirm.aspx
3. Enter school code 29036 and click “Next” followed by “Confirm”
4. Complete the “User Profile” box
5. Under “My Students,” click “Add.” Enter your child’s last name and student ID number
6. Once you confirm your information, you’re ready to begin using Here Comes the Bus!
Students Leaving Early
School Picture Day
Sheldon's Fall Individual Picture Day is coming up on September 23! The flyer below provides details on the different packages that are available for order. You may order online, or pay by cash or check. If paying by cash, you must provide the EXACT amount. We will not be able to make change. If paying by check, please make the check out to Strawbridge Studios. Paying online is the easiest! We will collect orders and payments at the school beginning September 13 and ending on picture day, September 23. We will send the paper order forms home on Friday, September 10.
This link will allow you to sign up to receive updates via email regarding your child's school portraits. These updates include promotions, additional deals and the ability to order more pictures at a later time. When entering student information, be sure to enter the student's name as it is on file at the school.
Let us know if you have any questions!
Medications & Meal Modification
The maps below highlight the traffic flow for the car line and for families who walk up. Please remember that we are located in a fairly compact neighborhood. We want to ensure we are respectful of all Sheldon's neighbors by following speed limit and other traffic signs and by not blocking driveways.
The car line will begin at 9:10 (10:10 on Fridays). Any student arriving after 9:30 will need to check in at the main office as the car line will have ended. The dismissal car line will begin at 3:40. Any adult arriving to pick up a child after 4:00 will need to check them out at the main office as the car line will have ended.
School staff will not buckle students into their car seats. If your chid is unable to buckle themselves, please pull over to the right or against the fence line to assist them so that the car line can continue flowing smoothly.
Traffic Flow From Gage
Traffic Flow Through Parking Lot
National Baby Safety Month
September is Baby Safety Awareness Month! Child injury is predictable and preventable. 2019 Kansas Vital Statistics data shows that unintentional injuries are the leading cause of death for children ages 1-4, with most of these injuries being preventable. Please see this link and the pictures below for information and resources.
Sheldon Food & Clothing Bank
Community Resources Council Directory
Sheldon Head Start Child Development Center
Location: 1155 SW Seabrook Ave.