Las Positas Updates
2/10/23 Volume 2 (26)
The best way to remove something negative is by filling it with something positive. If you are seeing negative behavior, encourage positive behavior. Spend more time with your children filling their memories with positive experiences.
This month we will focus on the IB Learner Profile Thinker.
The IB Learner profile aims to develop students who are thinkers. Students who are thinkers exercise initiative in applying thinking skills critically and creatively to recognize and approach complex problems, and make reasoned, ethical decisions.
IB students contribute to discussions in a meaningful way. They do not shy away from challenging questions and, once they know the answer, follow up by asking “why?”
Click here for more info on: IB PYP
Catch your child being a "thinker" and tweet it out @laspositaslions or send them for me to share.
Have a great 3 day weekend~
Be a Thinker
'My Lucky Day' demonstrates how being a Thinker has many benefits!
When a delicious-looking piglet knocks on Mr. Fox's door "accidentally," the fox can hardly believe his good luck. It's not every day that dinner just shows up on your doorstep. It must be his lucky day! Or is it? Before Mr. Fox can say grace, the piglet has manipulated him into giving him a fabulously tasty meal, the full spa treatment (with bath and massage), and...freedom.
In a funny trickster tale of her own, Kasza keeps readers guessing until the surprise ending when they'll realize it was piglet's lucky day all along.
Discussion Questions for My Lucky Day
1) Before you even read this story, whose lucky day will it be....Mr. Fox? Or Mr. Pig? Why do you think this is so?
2) Why do you think the pig showed up at Mr. Fox's door?
3) What did Mr. Fox make of the situation with Mr. Pig at his door?
4) Which story character is more clever? And why?
5) Which story character did you feel more empathy for? And why?
6) Explain how you feel Mr. Pig viewed Mr. Fox?
7) Explain if the ending of the story took you by surprise? The pig has visited quite a few "wrong" houses.....whose house could you write a story about a pig visiting?
How did Black History Month come to be? | Articles | CBC Kids
History 101 January 31, 2022 February is Black History Month! Find out more about this month-long celebration that takes place every year. Black History Month is a time to celebrate and remember all the ways that Black Canadians have contributed to Canada's history and culture.
Kids Heart Challenge- 2/8 ~ 2/24
Dear Families – We had our kick off assembly and many of our students got recognized for joining in the effort. Our goal is to have 100% of families join the team and learn Hands Only CPR through Finn’s Mission. Plus, you can help our class win the classroom challenge!
Here’s how you can help:
- Register at http://www2.heart.org/goto/LasPositas
- Complete Finn’s Mission: Watch a 2-minute video to learn Hands-Only CPR, learn how to spot the warning signs of a stroke, and so much more!
- Share with friends and family through social media, text and/or email
Save a life. Follow the traffic laws. 🚗🚙🚛
Don't speed. Drive on the right side of the road.
Let's be patient and kind on the road~
What a Thinker Engages In:
Wednesdays - Early Release
Thursdays - Think College Gear
Fridays - wear Las Positas Gear/color
2/13 - NO SCHOOL (Lincoln Day)
2/15 - Social Media Safety Parent Presentation for 5th grade at 5 PM in the MPR (Parents only)2/15 ~ 3/3 - LCAP Surveys (5th grade students, staff, and families)
2/17 - DELAC 9am-10am at the District Office
2/20 - NO SCHOOL (Presidents Day)
2/22 - Spring Pictures (optional)2/22 - Coffee w/the Principal
2/24 - Minimum Day (ALL students begin at 8:10am and are dismissed at 12:40pm)
2/24 - 4th grade Field Trip
2/27 - PTA Meeting at 5 PM
3/8 - Food Distribution 10:45am-11:45am
3/8 - Open House 5pm-7pm