The Wright Review
2015 - 2016 Third Grade Weekly News
Feelin' the Heat?!
Whew! It was a wee bit warm this week.
Thank you for helping encourage your children to do their best even in unusual circumstances. We applied our lifelines frequently.
As we exit our fourth week of school, we have been diving deeper into our standards and getting a decent understanding of the expectations in third grade.
- Math: We are finishing up our review unit. Next week, we will have two more review days and then we will test on Unit 1's concepts. Our test will be Thursday.
- Reading: WE will start focusing on reading groups next week. This allows me to reach each child at his/her personal growing level.
- Also, we will start talking about Plot and Story Elements. Our unit will focus on Volcanoes and will nicely tie in to our science curriculum: Rock and Minerals.
- Writing: We will finish up our paragraph unit. We are writing Whoppers and will take those and create Big Macs!
- Spelling: Thank you for taking the time to encourage good study habits at home. The spelling test grades showed the hard work! Let me know if you have questions on how the test works.
If you would like to order books for your child through scholastic's website, please click on the link above. Checks can still be sent to the classroom and I will mail the orders.
Rocks and Minerals
It's all about ROCKS! I love this science unit and I am excited we are starting the year with this concept. I will ask for each child to bring in a rock (any rock will do!) and we will use these as we progress through the characteristics of rocks and minerals.
We have a guest speaker from imi (Irving Concrete Company) visiting our school in the next month and we will be learning the connection between rocks and the real world.
On October 5th, we will visit the Indiana State Museum and we will tour their rock exhibits as a grand finale to our unit. Mark your calendars if you would like to join!