Chapter 15 information
Bologna, Knights, and Serfs
- One of the first European universities along with Italy, Paris, and France.
- Is the largest city, and also the capital of Emilia-Romagna Region in Northern Italy.
- Seventh most populated city in Italy.
- University of Bologna, located in Bologna, was founded in 1088.
- Bologna was the first Italian city and it was also the 47th European city.
- Warriors in armor who fought on horsebacks.
- They wore coats of mail- armor made from medal links.
- They carried swords and shields.
- Knights would charge enemies, spearing them with their lances.
- From the A.D. 700s to the 1200s, armored knights on horseback were the most powerful soldiers in Europe.
- Given a title of knighthood by a monarch.
- They were peasants.
- Could not leave the manor or own property.
- The could not marry without the lord's approval.
- Lords had the right to try serfs in their own court.
- Serfs were not enslaved, however.
- Lords could not sell the serfs or take away the land given to serfs to support themselves.
- Lords had to protect the serfs, and had to provide them the safety they needed to grow crops.
- They worked long hours.
- It wasn't easy for them to gain freedom.
- They wore ragged, old clothing.