Malia Garcia 5th Period
Summary of the Road To Revolution
Lexington & Concord, 1775
2. British were forced to retreat to Boston, suffering many casualties along the way.
3. This battle began the Revolutionary war
4. "Shots heard 'round the world"
Common Sense, 1776
2. News and work spread throughout the colonies, selling some 500,000 copies.
3. Common Sense changed the way many colonists viewed their king.
Declaration of Independence, 1776
2. The three documents that influenced the Declaration of Independence was The Magna Carta, English Bill of Rights, and the Mayflower Compact
3. Colonists were clear for their writes when writing King George III.
4. Was written by Thomas Jefferson
Battle of Saratoga, 1777
2. Served as a turning point in the war. Made America not look so hopeless
3. The British generals viewed the Americans as rebels who were ignorant farmers who could easily be swept away.
Winter at Valley Forge, 1777-1778
2. Washington and his men faced harsh weather, desertions & many suffered from diseases and pneumonia.
3. Two foreign volunteers, Baron Von Steuben & Marquise De Lafayette helped Washington and his men.
Battle of Yorktown, 1781
2. Genereal Washington managed with the French to force General Charles C. & the main British army into a corner at Yorktown, Virginia. British soldiers were forced to surrender in October 1781. British general Charles C. did not take part of the surrender. He was really "embarrassed" basically. This was the last major battle of the war.
3. When the British government heard about the news they decided to give up the fight.
Treaty of Paris, 1783
2. This document stated that: 1. The British recognized the independence of the colonies. 2. The British promised to remove all troops from the country. 3. The new western boundary of America was the Mississippi river.