Lighthouse School Newsletter
March 9, 2022
See translation information below / Consulte la información de traducción a continuación.
Hello, Lighthouse Families,
We’ve reached the last day of the second trimester. It is remarkable how fast time has gone this year. The past week, I have seen students present on a variety of topics such as Ancient Rome, Global Warming, and Taste. It was fun to learn from our students and see a variety of ways they engage the audience in their topic.
I admire our students’ determination to dig into their topics and courage to share their learning by presenting to staff and peers. I appreciate the Lighthouse staff that guides them and asks questions to help students explore topics beyond surface level research. Thank you, parents, for continuing to support students and staff in all the great work. Lighthouse is an exceptional place to be.
● Spring Break: Spring Break for students begins Friday. Remember - There is no school Friday, March 11-Monday, March 21. School resumes Tuesday, March 22 with the beginning of the third trimester.
● Grades: Grades for trimester 2 will be available at 4 p.m. on March 25, 2022 on the parent portal.
I hope everyone has a wonderful Spring Break!
Stages Theatre Reminders for Thursday, March 10
- Please make sure your child brings a bag lunch to eat when they return to school.
- Stages Theatre does require audience members to wear a face covering.
Still Need Chaperones! Feed My Starving Children Field Trip on April 8
Welcome new leaders for HR and Special Education
Tony Mayer has been named director of Human Resources and Kaline Sandven Marinello as director of Special Education. Tony, the district’s current director of special education and student services, transitions from that role to become the director of Human Resources. With Tony’s transition to HR, Kaline Sandven Marinello will become director of special education for Spring Lake Park Schools. Read the full announcement.
Spring is Sparking - introducing spring CE programs for all
Spring is in the air - and to celebrate - the SLP Community Education department is expanding their programs, offering more variety and more options for all! Sign up today to "Light a Spark" in yourself, your child or your family. There are many programs available this spring. Check out a few highlights from each program below and find a full list of offerings.
K-4 program highlights: Claylicious with Kidcreate Studio, Stem builders in orbit, Science of Slime and AKA sports including archery, golf and tennis and more!
Adult program highlights: Try Scuba Diving, Pyrography (wood burning), Digital Photography 101, History Talks and more!
Westwood program highlights: Pingpong club, Scratch/coding club, Westwood Robotics with Stem Builders and intramurals including volleyball, flag football, ultimate frisbee and more!
Family program highlights: Cupcake Decorating and Mini Cake Fondant Decorating.
Explore all Community Education options on the CE register page.
Congratulations to Lighthouse School Student Hal Beatty!
(Pictured in photo: L to R are Hal Beatty (cello), Raphael Karpowitz (piano), and Isabel Li (violin) of the Great River Trio.)
Lighthouse School Inquiry Projects
- Thursday, March 10 - Field trip to Stages Theatre (for students who have signed up.)
- Thursday, March 10 - End of Trimester 2
- March 11-21 - Spring Break, no school
- Tuesday, March 22 – First day of Tri 3
- Thursday, March 24 - 5:30 p.m. PTO meeting at Lighthouse or WebEx
- Friday, March 25- Field Trip to MN History Center
- Tuesday, April 5 - ELD, April 8 in person
- April 8- Field Trip to Feed My Starving Children (Chaperones needed, see information in "Need to Know" section)
Translate This Message / Traducir Este Mensaje
To translate this information to another language, please click anywhere on the message to open it in a web browser and at the top of the page, select your language from the dropdown menu.
Para traducir la información a otro idioma, por favor presionen en cualquier lugar del mensaje para abrirlo en un navegador web y en la parte superior de la página seleccione su idioma del menú.