Which AP Physics to Take?
Plano West 2020-2021 School Year
Top 10 Things to Consider
1. Both AP Physics courses are 1 class period (not double blocked).
2. Each semester of AP Physics earns 1.0 AP course credits.
3. Both courses are taught by veteran AP Physics teachers.
- Mr. Carroll 26 years teaching AP Physic
- Mr. Grizzle 10 years teaching AP Physics
4. Well developed and articulated curriculum - physics workbook
5. Students are highly successful on the AP Exam.
AP Physics 1
86% PWSH pass rate, 3.50 average score
45% global pass rate, 2.51 global average score
AP Physics 2
65% PWSH pass rate, 3.20 average score
60% global pass rate, 3.05 global average score
AP Physics C Mechanics
98% PWSH pass rate, 4.46 average score
82% global pass rate, 3.76 global average score
AP Physics C Electricity & Magnetism
90% PWSH pass rate, 4.25 average score
73% global pass rate, 3.60 global average score
6. It's nearly impossible to fail.
7. Course grade breakdown for both courses is nearly identical.
8. Math Requirements
- AP Physics 1-2 - concurrent enrollment in Precalculus
- AP Physics C - concurrent enrollment in either AB or BC Calculus
9. For a brief description of the AP Physics courses click HERE.
10. Looks great on your high school transcript. What percentage of high school graduates take AP Physics nationally?
4.6% take AP Physics 1
0.7% take AP Physics 2
1.4% take AP Physics Mechanics
0.6% take AP Physics Electricity & Magnetism
IMPORTANT - Students can NOT take both AP Physics 1-2 and AP Physics C courses.
Students take either:
AP Physics 1 and AP Physics 2
AP Physics C Mechanics and AP Physics E&M
Additional Questions - Contact
AP Physics 1-2 - Jerry.Grizzle@PISD.edu
AP Physics C - David.Carroll@PISD.edu