K-C Weekly News
December 4, 2015
What you really need to know
We have plenty of volunteer and service opportunities in progress!
- We will be learning about coding with our technology teacher Mrs. Martell on Friday, December 18 from 9:30-10:15. Please respond to me directly, via email, if you can help out. We only need three volunteers, so the first three to respond are hired!
- In celebration of winter's arrival, we will enjoy some winter crafts activities in the classroom on Tuesday, December 22 from 9:45-10:30. A sign up for craft assistants and requested supplies can be found here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0d4bada82ba02-letitsnow1
- Our student council is collecting NEW WITH TAGS winter pajamas in any size for children in need! Your donations with be paired with a book donated by Scholastic for each child in need. Pajamas are being collected in the school lobby through December 17th.
- Please also visit the school lobby bulletin board for an opportunity to assist families in our community by providing holiday gift cards to friends in need.
Thank you to our mystery readers! Reagan's mom, Shannon, and Bella's mom, Amanda, who recently visited to share two hilarious books with a culinary focus, Dragon Loves Tacos and Turkey Trouble.
Mark your calendar.
12/9 - Kindergarten Conferences/day 3 - No Kindergarten in session. No PM KASE.
12/11 - December book orders due
12/22 - Welcome to Winter Craft Day in Kindergarten.
12/24/15-1/3/16 Winter Break
1/4/16 - School resumes
1/13 - Early release day at 12:15
1/18 - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day - NO SCHOOL
1/19 - Delayed opening - NO AM KINDERGARTEN, PM KASE in session
What we've been up to.
- We've been learning about shapes. We discovered that a square is a special rectangle with four equal sides. If anyone wants to come in and guest-teach right angles, our door is always open. In addition to our original symmetrical pattern block (multicolored shapes) turkey art, we are in the process of decorating a life size gingerbread boy and girl with lots of shapes!
- We've been working on connect the dots puzzles to practice our number recognition and what comes next/one more counting skills. We also discussed even and odd numbers and practiced some more skip counting.
- We have begun reading different versions of The Gingerbread Man. We discussed the characters in each version and compared the plots to one another. We also made predictions about what would happen to The Gingerbread Baby.
- Our morning message has been missing lots of words each day. The kindergarten has taken on the job of filling in the missing parts.
- We began looking closely at words that end in -AN. We came up with lots of words in the -an family and can read them all just by changing the beginning sound.
Links of the week.
Make your own Gingerbread Man Counting book!
Just for fun: Decorate the Gingerbread Boy!
Challenge: Word family sort.
For Parents: IF you're wondering what it's like to teach kindergarten, watch this:
The things kids say. For real.
My mom, my brother(s), my sister(s), my family, my dad, my friends, my school, my house, airplanes, my pants, pencils, my dog, electricity and stuffing.
Thanksgiving in a nutshell.