FAC Weekly Update
September 23, 2022
Good Afternoon, FAC Family
We hope that you had a fantastic week. Lots of great performances are coming up. This newsletter is filled with opportunities to support our students in performances at the FAC and in the community. We also are hosting a number of professional concerts here in our Recital Hall. The arts scene is truly alive at the FAC, so please come out to support our students and our guest artists!
Here’s the latest from the halls of the FAC…
This Week's Student Leadership Lesson
Over the next few weeks, we will highlight The Four Agreements, a New York Times Bestseller for over a decade.
The Second Agreement: Don't Take Anything Personally
Whatever happens around you, don’t take it personally…Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. All people live in their own dream, in their own mind; they are in a completely different world from the one we live in. When we take something personally, we make the assumption that they know what is in our world, and we try to impose our world on their world.
Even when a situation seems so personal, even if others insult you directly, it has nothing to do with you. What they say, what they do, and the opinions they give are according to the agreements they have in their own minds…
-Don Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements
Congratulations to Myles Thompson!
Congratulations to Myles on this unprecedented achievement. He has consistently shown commitment, teachability, introspection, and authenticity as an artist. We are so proud of how he has grown during his time at the FAC!
"I made this piece regarding the social boxes people try to force you in at an early age."
"Reflections on assumptions made on black men in America, such as myself."
"I wanted to reflect on my experiences in school, being one of the only black kids in my classes."
Fine Arts Center College Day - Thank You!
FAC Custom Umbrellas
THANK YOU so much to all of the families and individuals who have contributed to the campus beautification project! We are blown away by the generosity of our FAC community. As we close in on our goal, we will promote this project for one week via the Weekly Update. The link will remain active if you would like to contribute at a later date.
For those who missed last week's post:
Recently, Greenville County Schools provided each site with new picnic tables. We would like to purchase a commercial-grade umbrella for each table. The total cost for 4 umbrellas, heavy-duty bases, and umbrella covers will be approximately $4,000.
- If you would like to donate towards the total purchase, please click on the following link: https://tinyurl.com/2p8jnuv2. Any amount, no matter how small, is appreciated.
- If you are interested in purchasing one of the three remaining sets, please email me so that I can give you instructions on how to make the donation. We will ensure that anyone who purchases a full set will receive appropriate recognition.
- If donations exceed the total cost of the umbrellas, the excess funds will go towards campus beautification projects.
FAC Students Performing in the Community
- 9/17 (Sat) - Growler Haus, Fountain Inn, 5-8 p.m.
- 9/18 (Sun) - Triune Mercy Center with Charles Hedgepath
- 9/23 (Fri) – w/ Big Eyes Parker at Barefoot Acres, Fountain Inn
- 9/24 (Sat) - Smiley’s Acoustic Café Greenville, 6:30-9:30 p.m.
- 9/30 (Fri) – City Scape Winery
- 10/7 (Fri) – 13 Stripes River Lodge, 6-9 p.m.
- 10/9 (Sun) - Triune Mercy Center with Charles Hedgepath
- 10/21 (Fri) – Growler Haus, Fountain Inn, 7-10 p.m.
- 10/27 (Thurs) – Chicora Alley, Travelers Rest, 6-8:30 p.m.
HONK! - Milltown Players, Simpsonville
Carolina Ballet Theatre - Ghosts - 10/28 and 10/29
Once on This Island, Jr. - Mauldin Cultural Center - 11/4-11/13
Is your child performing in the Greenville community?
FAC Visual Arts Faculty Exhibition Reception - Friday, 9/30 at 6:00 p.m.
Professional Performances at the FAC
FAC Wish List
As a pre-professional training ground for aspiring artists, we will at times need to augment what we are given through the school budget in order to meet professional industry standards. If you are interested in purchasing an item of need instead of donating money to the FAC, please click on the following link to access the FAC Wish List.
- Friday, September 30 - Visual Arts Faculty Show Reception; 6:00 p.m., FAC Sheffield Wood Gallery
- Monday, October 3 - Friday, November 11 - Theatre Artist-in-Residence: West Hyler
- Thursday, October 6 - Parrish Trio Masterclass; 7:00 p.m.. FAC Sutherlin Recital Hall
- Saturday, October 8 - District Dance Festival
- Saturday, October 8 - Parrish Trio Performance; 7:00 p.m., FAC Sutherlin Recital Hall
- Monday, October 10 - Friday, October 14 - Dance Artist-in-Residence: Christopher Huggins
- Monday, October 10 - Friday, October 14 - Voice Artists-in-Residence: Danielle Talamantes and Kerry Wilkerson
- Tuesday, October 11 - Jazz Guest Artist: Jason DeCristofaro
- Thursday, October 13 - Visual Arts Portfolio Day
- Thursday, October 13 - Danielle Talamantes & Kerry Wilkerson Performance; 7:00 p.m., FAC Sutherlin Recital Hall
- Friday, October 21 - 2:25 p.m. Jazz Studio Concert; 7:00 p.m., FAC Sutherlin Recital Hall
- Monday, October 24 - Friday, October 28 - Jazz Artist-in-Residence: Mike Stern
- Monday, October 24 - Wednesday, October 26 - Strings Artists-in-Residence: Paul and Rachel Aguilar
- Friday, October 28 - Mike Stern Concert; 7:00 p.m., FAC Sutherlin Recital Hall
Fine Arts Center - Greenville County Schools
Preparing dedicated students for 21st-century careers through rigorous, pre-professional arts training in a dynamic, inclusive, collaborative learning community.