Character Counts Week
What is Character Counts?
The CHARACTER COUNTS! approach to character education doesn't exclude anyone. It is based on six ethical values that everyone can agree on — values that are not political, religious, or culturally biased. The points below describe the Six Pillars of Character Education:
- Be honest • Don’t deceive, cheat, or steal • Be reliable — do what you say you’ll do • Have the courage to do the right thing • Build a good reputation • Be loyal — stand by your family, friends, and country
- Treat others with respect; follow the Golden Rule • Be tolerant and accepting of differences • Use good manners, not bad language • Be considerate of the feelings of others • Don’t threaten, hit or hurt anyone • Deal peacefully with anger, insults, and disagreements
- Do what you are supposed to do • Plan ahead • Persevere: keep on trying! • Always do your best • Use self-control • Be self-disciplined • Think before you act — consider the consequences • Be accountable for your words, actions, and attitudes • Set a good example for others
- Play by the rules • Take turns and share • Be open-minded; listen to others • Don’t take advantage of others • Don’t blame others carelessly • Treat all people fairly
- Be kind • Be compassionate and show you care • Express gratitude • Forgive others • Help people in need
- Do your share to make your school and community better • Cooperate • Get involved in community affairs • Stay informed; vote • Be a good neighbor • Obey laws and rules • Respect authority • Protect the environment • Volunteer
What's happening during Character Counts Week..???
- Character Counts! T-shirts are now available for faculty and students. Pick up your shirt in the high school office. Price = $10.00 per shirt.
- Back by popular demand: "Kindness...Pass in on" Grams can be purchased during middle school and high school lunch starting Wednesday, October 21st. Any combination of a candy bar, cupcake, and soda will be delivered daily during Character Education Week at the end of 7th hour to that "someone" you appreciate. Students and staff can also write a positive message to someone special and we will deliver them (to teachers) or decorate lockers (for students). Come by the lunch room to participate! (Order forms will also be available in the high school office)!
- The drama class will once again put putting on an awesome Character Counts! student-led assembly on Friday, October 30th during 6th hour.
- Students will be participating in an Art Contest and an Essay Contest. Winners will be announced during the assembly on Friday.
- There will be daily drawing for acts of "good character" and showing spirit by participating in our dress up days.
- Instagram contest: Send a picture of yourself portraying an "act of good character" or posing in your "character counts t-shirt". Send your photo to #SHSCARES.
SPIRIT DRESS DAYS!
Wear apparel of your favorite super hero!
Wear t-shirt of the college you will/wish to attend OR wear shirt of your favorite sports team
Wear American themed clothing!
Character Counts Day:
Wear your Character Counts t-shirt!
Thank you for your participation!